LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

All Part of Singletary's master plan??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is it possible that the QB situation is unfolding the way Singletary would have liked it to. As an assistant head coach before Nolan was fired, I'm sure he had a pulse on the team, knew who gave us the best chance to win, and had the most athletic ability. Martz then throws a wrench into the engine when he brought in his "Ringer" JTO. So Nolan at the time agrees to start him by the word of his OC alone. Singletary bites his tongue because he is not in the position to do anything.

JTO shows flashes then begins to stink it up. Exit Mike Nolan. Enter Samurai Mike. JTO's leash shortens as does Martz' freedom with his play calling. JTO has a horrible game and Mike is quick to utilize his hook. Yanks JTO and in comes Al... wait, Alex Smith is on IR. If he is not, does Mike give Smith the shot or does he go with Hill? Who knows. So he goes with Shaun Hill, and is pleasantly surprised at his toughness, grittyness, ability to lead the team, and knack for pulling of W's.

Everything is fine but the question of Alex Smith still remains. He undergoes surgery and cheers the team on from the sideline. Season ends.

Offseason begins, and Alex's throws look sharper than ever. Surgery looks to have helped Alex and he looks like a new man. Singletary still liking the fact that Shaun Hill is a proven leader and winner has a tough choice to make. Do you sit the guy that won games for you last year, or start Smith again on the merits of his draft position? He makes the right call, all the while knowing that Smith has more athletic ability, arm strength, and all around physical tools to be a better QB than Hill.

Singletary decides to do the Stand Up thing, and give his team a chance to win with the proven winner, though limited in his abilities. Does he also have an alterior motive? Does he want to bring fire, passion and motivation out of young Alex, who is now maturing into a veteran? Does he think Alex would possibly still fourish one day, when the expectations of his draft position and contract are further and further in the past?

We all know one thing, and that Singletary is a no nonsense kind of guy. He wants winners and he wants to win now! Hill starts to stink it up again, and Singletary is confident enough in Smith, that he decides to give him a shot... He comes in and tears it up. Of course they are playing from 3 scores behind, but you can't argue that he didn't look like a bonafide NFL QB. A good one at that!

So Sing had no choice but to bench JTO for Hill, because Smith is on IR. He lets Hill start, but does he do this with every intention of lighting a huge fire under Smith's. Did Singletary KNOW Alex would be starting at some point this season? I think so. I think it was all part of his plan to bring the best out of Alex. I think he knows how to motivate and lead players and get them to play their hearts out. I think we see a new Alex Smith from this day forward, and we have Coach Singletary to thank for it. Go Niners!
They have to see if Smith is the real deal. He will struggle with the Oline he's stuck with but now at least the organization can finally decide if they picked a guy who can get it done. Please continue to start A. Smith.
No. Sing went with who he thought gave us the best chance to win. When that plan started failing, he switched it up. You don't start a guy for your team with the expectation that he will fail, just so you can bring in the 2nd string guy.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
No. Sing went with who he thought gave us the best chance to win. When that plan started failing, he switched it up. You don't start a guy for your team with the expectation that he will fail, just so you can bring in the 2nd string guy.

Yea in any other situation I would I agree with you. I think we can honestly say this is not an ordinary QB situation. Singletary was on the staff when Smith was drafted. He has seen him grow, mature, struggle and succeed. I think that he had every intention of seeing what the kid can do at leasst one more time, at some point before they chalked him up as a career back up. Hill obviously is not the future. Smith still can be...

Maybe it didn't go down like I said word for word, but I think there was some structure to it.
[ Edited by zozell on Oct 26, 2009 at 10:03 AM ]
I don't necessarily think it was part of master plan or that Sing knew Smith would be starting at some point this season. I think he would have preferred that Hill be as effective as last year and we'd be winning consistently. But both Sing and Scot still had a lot of faith in Smith and do agree with you zozell that the team preferred to have Smith as the Plan B in order to take some of the pressure from him and to exhibit patience in his development (finally!). They obviously thought he had a future with the team still and they clearly had no intention of rushing that future.
For the people that b***h about Sing, please remember this is his real freshman year as a HC. He has benched many guys and will continue to find the best players to put on the field, something Nolan never did. He found an OC he agreed with and hopefully the playbook starts to open up a bit very soon. He handled the Crabtree situation brilliantly along with Scotty. He has learned from his mistakes very quickly and is still learning how to be a HC. Have faith in the man he will come through for us.
Did you get this idea from big foot? come on homie
The scenario is plausible, but I think Smith was still a very big question mark and Sing planned to use Hill as long as he produced. It was the right thing to play Hill and it's nowe the right thing to give Alex his shot, but let's be fair........if Hill had been given the same offensive plan they used in the 2nd half. ie the freedom and time to pass, he may have looked better. Still, the offense definitely got a spark from Smith and Sing should see if it continues.
Now, if he'd only wake up re the receivers and actually dress Jones and even Hill or Spurlock and bench Bruce and Battle...........as good as Jones looked before his injury, for the life of me, I don't know what he's waiting for!
Umm......no.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
They have to see if Smith is the real deal. He will struggle with the Oline he's stuck with but now at least the organization can finally decide if they picked a guy who can get it done. Please continue to start A. Smith.

What O line was he playing behind yesterday? maybe they needed this to prove to themselves they can pass protect a little. it wasn't good but mix in A Smith who clearly has changed and maybe just maybe things will get turned around

Following the script
It's funny how all the Hill hater threads have turned into AS koolaid drinker threads. I am not taking anything away from the guy, he played GREAT... on a realistic note though, it was one half, and he was on mopup duty at that point. Had he actually led us to the victory, I would be speaking a different tune...
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Following the script

Told Ya!

If there is one thing SINGLETARY doesn't have it's a master plan. LOL.

Start Chilo...

Cut Rossum to keep what is it 7 WR's many of whom are bench riders...

Rotating QB's...

Rotating Offensive Linemen.

Lol. You're giving him way too much credit. He doesn't have any plan much less a master plan.
Originally posted by jreff22:
For the people that b***h about Sing, please remember this is his real freshman year as a HC. He has benched many guys and will continue to find the best players to put on the field, something Nolan never did. He found an OC he agreed with and hopefully the playbook starts to open up a bit very soon. He handled the Crabtree situation brilliantly along with Scotty. He has learned from his mistakes very quickly and is still learning how to be a HC. Have faith in the man he will come through for us.
Share 49ersWebzone