There are 196 users in the forums

What we learned in Houston

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Dshearn:
thats a bad sign....

we have all seen this before

if a team gets that large of a lift from a back-up qb coming in...it really shows there is deep deep problems.

we have all seen this before.....

steve bono in for young almost lead to young being traded to green bay they just could not secure the right dradt choice. that was not a boost from a back up more like the rallyed around him to help bono.

tim rattay in for garcia rattay looked like a world beater

ken dorsey in for rattay...dorsey look great.

shaun hill in for alex smith or jto.....hill looked like a franchise qb

i think its great to see the franchise qb have his best game ever..i just hope sing can keep the team at the same level they were at in the second half.

+1
I learned that watching a football game is much for fun when your QB isn't throwing ducks around the pond.
1. That good offense is just as important to the defense. The defense seemed energized by the belief that Smith might be able to bring them back if they could just rise to the occassion and keep Houston in check. With Hill in there, the defense knew the anemic offense meant the game was over.

2. Spreading out the defense with the threat of the pass will help the RUN game dramatically. Its taken our throw-back and stubborn coaching staff 5.5 games to adjust to the modern NFL and the reality of our limited talent on the OL. (That is not a good sign of the quality of our coaching staff.) Gore is a good RB, but he is great when he can hit first hole quickly, and make one cut at the second level, not plow through the big bodies at the line of scrimmage (That is probably true of all RBs to be honest, LOL.) (Gore may actually be a much better fit to a zone blocking scheme rather than a power run blocking scheme.)

3. That Houston's defense was not at all prepared for a 49ers offense pushing the ball down the field. That tells you how they had game planned for a very predictable run game and short pass game with Hill at QB. (Expect Indy to be more prepared to stymie Smith with more complex coverages on the deep routes - particulary on the VD seam routes -- Indy's safety Sanders will be ready for that.)

4. The starting receivers for the balance of the season should be Crabtree, Morgan, and Bruce.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Dshearn:
thats a bad sign....

we have all seen this before

if a team gets that large of a lift from a back-up qb coming in...it really shows there is deep deep problems.

we have all seen this before.....

steve bono in for young almost lead to young being traded to green bay they just could not secure the right dradt choice. that was not a boost from a back up more like the rallyed around him to help bono.

tim rattay in for garcia rattay looked like a world beater

ken dorsey in for rattay...dorsey look great.

shaun hill in for alex smith or jto.....hill looked like a franchise qb

i think its great to see the franchise qb have his best game ever..i just hope sing can keep the team at the same level they were at in the second half.

I'd only disagree that Hill ever looked like a franchise QB

• cools
  • Veteran
What we learned in Houston ....

Somthong we already knew, but its even worse then we thought, the OL sucks!
Smith made the OL look a bit better in the 2nd half with some good movement in the pocket
but the OL is bad, and cant be fixed till Free Agency/Draft

Smith looked good at QB, but im not gonna get too excited about him till i see him play well for a few games
Hill cant avoid the pass rush or throw on the run, with our OL situation our QB is going to have to do that

Vern is a star

Crabtree will be a star

Morgan should be the #2, and Get Jones in there as the #3 since Smith and him have good chemistry, Bruce is looking like he shoulda retired,

Special Teams needs attention... J'Hill may not get any time at WR but he has been a solid ST player as a gunner, he was missed yesterday, as was Rossum

D' looked ok, we had alot of "almost sacks" that ended up being big plays for Houston, I like how our front 7 are playing
secondary looked bad, Clements had a bad game, Roman looked like Roman of '08
and Goldson has done nothing to make me feel like he's our FS of the future
Not only do I also want to see the spread, but I want to see screen passes and A LOT of play-action passes. Gore can EASILY get his 20 touches a game but it'll be more like he is Brian Westbrook than smash-mouth Gore of the past. Might actually do his body well too!
Originally posted by cNiner:
we are not, WE ARE NOT A POWER RUNNING TEAM, we have the WR's so spread them out and sling it and want to move the clock perfect the screen pass !

This. How the hell are we supposed to be a running team with a s**tty ass O LINE.
Originally posted by English:
And get a new O line (or three fifths of one, anyway)

I think we only need a new RG and RT. I think BAAS does okay on the Left. Rachal needs to go, he was a waste of a pick
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by cNiner:
we are not, WE ARE NOT A POWER RUNNING TEAM, we have the WR's so spread them out and sling it and want to move the clock perfect the screen pass !

This. How the hell are we supposed to be a running team with a s**tty ass O LINE.

If we keep passing the way we did in the second half, it should open it up for Gore.
I learned that picking Houston in the webzone pick'em was the right call

That we should of done one of the following things:

1) not cut Rossum
2) activated Kory Sheets to return punts
3) or had Battle on the bench
WE ARE NOT A POWER RUNNING TEAM !
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
That we should of done one of the following things:

1) not cut Rossum
2) activated Kory Sheets to return punts
3) or had Battle on the bench

maybe so, but looking ahead, Spurlock can and has returned kick offs and Jason hill does have speed, lets get him involved!!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I learned we need to use the plays where we bring in Wragge as an extra O lineman and take the full back out. This package had some good protection yeasterday, and I think we should be able to run out of it also. I watched the Bengals game and they use an extra O lineman alot and they have the leading rusher in the NFL. We need to mix this in with some of the spread O.
Originally posted by maximill15:
I learned that picking Houston in the webzone pick'em was the right call

+1
Share 49ersWebzone