LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

What we learned in Houston

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After watching our teams performance vs the Texans I think we have once again learned the importance of quality quarterback play. Alex Smith alone was able to gain 4 times the passing yards of Hill, take zero sacks, gained 16 yards rushing on 2 attempts, 14 first downs, and put up 3 touchdowns passes (29yd, 14yd, and 23yd, TD passes). Oh and he also finished with a 118 passer rating.

Our defense allowed only 3 points in the second half.

My point is the team we saw in the second half was a completely different team than the 1st. They were balanced, poised, and played with emotion. Im excited just has many other webzoners are to see our offensive unit with a spark. I also believe Alex Smith has earned the oppertunity to see where he can take this team.

But what we really learned from Houston is that getting a franchise quality quarterback should be our number 1 priority. If Alex Smith proves to be the guy then guy then great. If not we must look to the draft.

Go Niners!
Of course play Alex.
And get a new O line (or three fifths of one, anyway)
Crank that Crabtree on a regular basis
Originally posted by English:
And get a new O line (or three fifths of one, anyway)

Tired of us playing a good 2nd half & not a good first half.
We desperately need better o-line play. Alex looked good but he won't be able to carry us with no run game.
here's what i learned.

24>21
What I learned from the game is our o-line plays a lot better when the opposing defense is backed off the line to cover our "spread offense". When we saw eight or nine defenders in to a) stop our run game b) get close enough to Shawn Hill and bat away his short, slow passes. This was the blueprint that didnt take long for the whole NFL to follow on playing the niners. Too bad we wasted another half of football to figure out the problem. We are 3-3, and our offense isnt as bad as we thought it was. We can now finally make use of the players we drafted. Bottom line is we always have to keep moving, dont sit still with the same schemes over and over, that other coaches get answers for. Indy has a much better defense, but they arent unbeatable.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
What I learned from the game is our o-line plays a lot better when the opposing defense is backed off the line to cover our "spread offense". When we saw eight or nine defenders in to a) stop our run game b) get close enough to Shawn Hill and bat away his short, slow passes. This was the blueprint that didnt take long for the whole NFL to follow on playing the niners. Too bad we wasted another half of football to figure out the problem. We are 3-3, and our offense isnt as bad as we thought it was. We can now finally make use of the players we drafted. Bottom line is we always have to keep moving, dont sit still with the same schemes over and over, that other coaches get answers for. Indy has a much better defense, but they arent unbeatable.

do you think we continue with the spread offense to start off the colts game? Or do we go back to our unstoppable power running game? If just running the spread offense was the key to everything, why didn't we do it earlier? Hard headed coaching staff?
thats a bad sign....

we have all seen this before

if a team gets that large of a lift from a back-up qb coming in...it really shows there is deep deep problems.

we have all seen this before.....

steve bono in for young almost lead to young being traded to green bay they just could not secure the right dradt choice. that was not a boost from a back up more like the rallyed around him to help bono.

tim rattay in for garcia rattay looked like a world beater

ken dorsey in for rattay...dorsey look great.

shaun hill in for alex smith or jto.....hill looked like a franchise qb

i think its great to see the franchise qb have his best game ever..i just hope sing can keep the team at the same level they were at in the second half.

I think we go into indy gunning that pig skin down field to open up the running game for frank gore. If we can do this than we have a chance. matt schaub is no peyton manning but the texans do have a very potent passing offense. but spencer held johnson to just 2 catches for 62 yards and NO touchdowns. that is very impressive.
We gave up only one 50 yard field goal in the second half of the game. our defense obviously is very good when not on the field most of the game, due to 3 and outs.

Alex with the start in Indy
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

do you think we continue with the spread offense to start off the colts game? Or do we go back to our unstoppable power running game? If just running the spread offense was the key to everything, why didn't we do it earlier? Hard headed coaching staff?

No, a coaching staff, thats too wary of making a change. It worked, and I hope they keep changing things like most good teams do to win. Running with that same spread set was much easier for Gore.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

No, a coaching staff, thats too wary of making a change. It worked, and I hope they keep changing things like most good teams do to win. Running with that same spread set was much easier for Gore.

prob is becuase hill cant run it.

hence the power run game to make life easy for him.

they (sing) has to know by now there is no power run game this year....
Learned that with Hill at QB, our offense was limited. With A.Smith, we are capable of moving the ball much better. Also I have to say Crab is the man, worth waiting for.
we are not, WE ARE NOT A POWER RUNNING TEAM, we have the WR's so spread them out and sling it and want to move the clock perfect the screen pass !
Share 49ersWebzone