There are 276 users in the forums

Were We Running The Spread in the 2nd Half?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 49erFuture1115
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Could someone that recorded the game look at the last play of the game. A niner was behind all the secondary and Alex was attempting to get it to that Niner but it looked like Alex might have been hit as he was throwing or could not step up. Someone please review and get back to the board. thank-you in advance

Smith was indeed looking over the top on that play- it was the same play used for Davis' third td (Trips right with Davis on the inside)- I cant tell the others from the wide camera angle but I believe it was Crabtree wide and Morgan in the middle.

On the final play- Smith was indeed looking to go over the top. Houston D bit hard on Davis' skinny post (since it burned them 3 times) and Smith had the deep post-corner open. However, pressure did not allow Alex to step into the throw and Alex was knocked back while throwing.

Result was a bit of a wobbler and underthrown- easy int. But, the play was there and Alex made the correct read- would have gone for big yardage if Smith had .3 of a second longer to get through his throw. Actual progressions in a half! Who would have guessed?
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFuture1115:
Could someone that recorded the game look at the last play of the game. A niner was behind all the secondary and Alex was attempting to get it to that Niner but it looked like Alex might have been hit as he was throwing or could not step up. Someone please review and get back to the board. thank-you in advance

Smith was indeed looking over the top on that play- it was the same play used for Davis' third td (Trips right with Davis on the inside)- I cant tell the others from the wide camera angle but I believe it was Crabtree wide and Morgan in the middle.

On the final play- Smith was indeed looking to go over the top. Houston D bit hard on Davis' skinny post (since it burned them 3 times) and Smith had the deep post-corner open. However, pressure did not allow Alex to step into the throw and Alex was knocked back while throwing.

Result was a bit of a wobbler and underthrown- easy int. But, the play was there and Alex made the correct read- would have gone for big yardage if Smith had .3 of a second longer to get through his throw. Actual progressions in a half! Who would have guessed?

Yup, i didn't notice it live but you're right. He wasn't able to step up but he had Vernon open deep. It was the right decision on Alex's part.
Originally posted by titan:
We looked like the Colts for a little bit. It's obvious we need our QB to be in a shotgun, our Oline sucks. If we are going to run the football we need to get the passing game going and not the other way around.

Agreed.
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
We looked like the Colts for a little bit. It's obvious we need our QB to be in a shotgun, our Oline sucks. If we are going to run the football we need to get the passing game going and not the other way around.

Agreed.

Isn't that they way Walsh did it? Pass to setup the run. Walsh had to have mentioned that to Sing during those lunches.
I am glad Raye did something right instead of that predictable offense he normally runs. He played the spread offense to work into Alex's strengths. I think they went with Hill at the beginning of the season, even with his limitations, to allow Alex to really learn the offense.
Smitty threw 3 TD`s in the 2nd half.... Probly could have threw 5, and its only goin to get better!
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by stever:
Ok, the game is lost, but the 2nd half looked primising. Why should'nt we play a system that favors Alex' strengths ? Lets play some spread offense. Lets play Crabtree, Morgan, Bruce, Jones and Hill. Lets move Gore around, he can be very effective as a pass catcher , too. Lets get Vernon and D.Walker out in the slot, ... I think we have the personal to play spread.
I think the oline looked way better in the 2nd half pass blocking than they did run blocking in half 1. ANd the playcalling was ok, too.

Why not ?

+1

Get opposing defences on their heels, and let Gore pick 'em apart if they start droppng back too much.

It really is apretty good Offensive aresenal with the spread.

The sad thing is, that our OC doesn't get this. It is so obvious, but we only do run run pass.
Ok, the game is lost, but the 2nd half looked primising. Why should'nt we play a system that favors Alex' strengths ? Lets play some spread offense. Lets play Crabtree, Morgan, Bruce, Jones and Hill. Lets move Gore around, he can be very effective as a pass catcher , too. Lets get Vernon and D.Walker out in the slot, ... I think we have the personal to play spread.
I think the oline looked way better in the 2nd half pass blocking than they did run blocking in half 1. ANd the playcalling was ok, too.

Why not ?

+1

Get opposing defences on their heels, and let Gore pick 'em apart if they start droppng back too much.

The sad thing is, that our OC doesn't get this. It is so obvious, but we only do run run pass.

if were going to go with alex, which we should! then we have to play a game that is going to suit his strengths and allow us to score. look what happened with hill, we didnt play to his strenghts and the offense failed because we couldnt rely on our running game.

by freeing alex, we free gore and the rest of the offense
Let's spread crabs and VD! like STD's (Spread TouchDowns)
Originally posted by five1oh:
Let's spread crabs and VD! like STD's (Spread TouchDowns)

...Thats Just WRONG

But Funny

^lol

i thionk its a similar offense than what colts and manning are doing
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by 49erFuture1115:

Yup, i didn't notice it live but you're right. He wasn't able to step up but he had Vernon open deep. It was the right decision on Alex's part.

Thanks guys. It all happened too fast so I couldn't really tell what happened.

Why not ?

+1

I don’t know that he doesn’t get it. In fact this game showed me that maybe he actually does get it. We all saw very clearly over the past several games the limitations of Hill. That may have been why Reye would run so much. It appeared that Gore (in spite of struggling due to Ds stacking to box) had a better chance of success then Hill. Hill’s weakness of throwing the deep route left Reye to attempt to get our best offensive player to make something happen.
The first drive of the second half we started out running. Then when forced to throw, Smith showed that he had the ability to hit his receivers. In fact as the game progressed, so did the playbook. Smith demonstrated that he did not have the same limitations so Reye kept taking advantage of Smith’s abilities and opened up the playbook to include the spread offense.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Agreed.

Isn't that they way Walsh did it? Pass to setup the run. Walsh had to have mentioned that to Sing during those lunches.

I don't think we need to run that much. We can use the short passing game to like a run. Thats what Walsh did when the niners didn't have a good rumming game, because sometimes Dexter Carter just couldn't get it done.
About friggin time! We are not a power running team, too bad they waited till now to figure that out. Maybe during the offseason we pick up some lineman that can help make that possible but till then sling it, sling it good!
Share 49ersWebzone