LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Were We Running The Spread in the 2nd Half?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Could someone that recorded the game look at the last play of the game. A niner was behind all the secondary and Alex was attempting to get it to that Niner but it looked like Alex might have been hit as he was throwing or could not step up. Someone please review and get back to the board. thank-you in advance

By the looks of it, he just made a poor throw. He overthrew Bruce, but he had Vernon a little deeper and the ball was underthrown for him to get it. It landed in between the 2 receivers, hence the INT.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by titan:
We looked like the Colts for a little bit. It's obvious we need our QB to be in a shotgun, our Oline sucks. If we are going to run the football we need to get the passing game going and not the other way around.

Agreed.

Isn't that they way Walsh did it? Pass to setup the run. Walsh had to have mentioned that to Sing during those lunches.

I don't think we need to run that much. We can use the short passing game to like a run. Thats what Walsh did when the niners didn't have a good rumming game, because sometimes Dexter Carter just couldn't get it done.

Dexter Carter is NOT Frank Gore.

It's fairly simple really, if opposing defenses keep stacking the box, throw over them. If they play back, let Gore smash their front 7.
I'd like to see Raye keep it balanced as the offense goes ahead with Smith (we hope). Only with Smith, teams will have to respect the intermediate and deep passes, thus allowing for more of an ACTUAL running game.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
SPREAD 'EM!!!
SPREAD 'EM!!!
SPREAD 'EM!!!

Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by JMPNINER:
Fire raye after the season and hire mike leach.

You're probably joking, but No way Leach would take the paycut and demotion.

Head coach at a major D1 school >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OC of a pro team.

Why not go for an College OC who runs the spread, like Azzadio at UF.

Maybe we can hire Dan Mullen away from Mississippi State -- he was Alex's QB coach @ Utah and is considered Urban Meyer's protege (followed him around from Norte Dame to Bowling Green to Utah to Florida).
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by titan:
We looked like the Colts for a little bit. It's obvious we need our QB to be in a shotgun, our Oline sucks. If we are going to run the football we need to get the passing game going and not the other way around.

Agreed.

Isn't that they way Walsh did it? Pass to setup the run. Walsh had to have mentioned that to Sing during those lunches.

I don't think we need to run that much. We can use the short passing game to like a run. Thats what Walsh did when the niners didn't have a good rumming game, because sometimes Dexter Carter just couldn't get it done.

Dexter Carter is NOT Frank Gore.

It's fairly simple really, if opposing defenses keep stacking the box, throw over them. If they play back, let Gore smash their front 7.
I'd like to see Raye keep it balanced as the offense goes ahead with Smith (we hope). Only with Smith, teams will have to respect the intermediate and deep passes, thus allowing for more of an ACTUAL running game.

I don't think out O line is good enough to smash any front seven. They had 2 good running plays this year, I think we need to change the style of play.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by JMPNINER:
Fire raye after the season and hire mike leach.

You're probably joking, but No way Leach would take the paycut and demotion.

Head coach at a major D1 school >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OC of a pro team.

Why not go for an College OC who runs the spread, like Azzadio at UF.

Maybe we can hire Dan Mullen away from Mississippi State -- he was Alex's QB coach @ Utah and is considered Urban Meyer's protege (followed him around from Norte Dame to Bowling Green to Utah to Florida).

That would be cool.
I would hope they take all the option stuff OUT of the playbook though, I would hate to see Alex get hurt again running.
  • Niner4Life209
  • Info N/A
YES! That is exactly what we need to do! I mean we have all the recievers to do it. and if were going to run the ball can we at least do it in a few different formations other than the same predictable run formation we do every freakin time!
We need a complete offensive change! Jimmy Raye sucks...period. How ever the only positive that has came out is that we are finally using VERNON DAVIS the way we should have been using him since day one.
This team needs to utilize its strenghts. Smith is great in the spread offense, Crabtree, Jones, Morgan, Bruce. Gore is even a great reciever coming out of the backfield, once we establish a great passing game the run game will complent it perfectly. This will never be a run first team with a weak O-line. The Niner coaching staff needs to wake up and smell the coffee. I just have a feeling that Singletary may be to stubborn to change his philosphy on his run first mentality.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
You yet to wonder if Hill's strength's/weaknesses held the team back more than the o-line. You have to remember that this team played to Hill's abilities, now that you have a QB in that can throw the ball (and release it quicker) you see the ball being thrown more.

It's really more simple than you could imagine. For guy that hasn't taken a snap in 2 years Alex Smith looked really cool and calm in the pocket. He even shrugged off a defender to scramble for a first down (like that shrug he did in his last greatest game against the Seahawks).

Not really! Hill played in a (for lack of a better term) spread offense last year under Martz and put up tremendous numbers in 8 games and that was WITH a pared-down version to protect the ball more under Singeltary's philosophy.
Originally posted by contrarios:
I am glad Raye did something right instead of that predictable offense he normally runs. He played the spread offense to work into Alex's strengths. I think they went with Hill at the beginning of the season, even with his limitations, to allow Alex to really learn the offense.

What does that tell you? You haven't seen that all season, then all of a sudden a spread system? Sounds like they put this together ahead of time for Smith and Crab - anticipating another Hill flop offensive day. JMO
Share 49ersWebzone