There are 159 users in the forums

Alex Smith Bandwagon

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
To BillBird

This is such an old argument. Just because you say that you want Alex to do well doesn't mean anything.

For an example: The Seattle Game where Smith had perhaps his best game. Go back and look at the comments. The "ACP" or whatever people are calling the haters these days, for the most part, harped on the last throw, or said "he's only had one 300 yd game now" etc.

You see that since the ACP's (and the Alexcusionists or whatever they are called) are both emotionally invested in Alex's Success or failure for personal/ pride/ validation reasons, they interpret things with a bias. That is the problem. So what some on here are saying is that it doesn't matter what Smith does well (again as evidenced by the Seattle game last year) The ACP's will focus on any negatives to make themselves feel like their view is correct. While on the other hand the real hard core Alexcusionists will do the same thing by over-looking his faults. IT is so funny when somebody from one faction calls out the other - like you just did - for doing something that they themselves are promulgating in posts all the time.

To DTComposer:

RE: Alex Smith

Response: BULL

I personally don't believe Alex had one good game last year. He had some average games. He had some below average games. And -- in others -- he just sucked.

I hope you're not referring to the game AT Seattle. If you call this "good quarterbacking," then we will never agree on this point. Heck -- I don't think we'd agree on what's black and what's white.

Good quarterbacks do not have games like Alex had against the Bears -- in front of the home crowd. Good quarterbacks take advantage of their counterparts when they throw five interceptions in one game. Good quarterbacks turn a five-pick game into blowouts.

Good quarterbacks do not play the Rams to a first half tie during the last game of the regular season.

Did you miss those games? And you're calling me biased? Really?

you're absolutely in denial if you think you're unbiased.

-9fA

Fine. I'm in Denial. It ain't just a river in Egypt.

This just in: Alex Smith sucks.
Wow the haters keep trollin along it seems.

As has been pointed out this is Smith's make or break year.

For those that are keeping score however this will be his 3RD season as a Starter. Not his 6TH. So it's a bit hard for the man to lead this team to the Playoffs over the last 5 seasons. In fact it's IMPOSSIBLE to do so.

Nevermind that this was not a Playoff Calibur team the last 5 years. And that's with or without Smith under Center.

Our Line got chewed up in the Opponents buzzsaws year in and year out. No QB on this Roster had an average of 3 seconds to throw the ball.

Why does Smith hold the ball too long? Cause bad things happen when you just wing it. If your pocket time averages just over 2 seconds(as our Starters do over the last 5 years) you only have time for one thing. Wing the rock and pray the Receiver catches it.

Oh wait. Receiver? We had those on the team the last 5 years? Last year it wasn't so bad. But the 4 years prior to that I would have to change their position designation to Droppers. And that's being nice about it. In fact over that 4 year span we only had ONE true Receiver and that was Battle. Everyone else you hit them in the numbers, it was a good bet that they would drop the ball. In fact I think there are only 4 players from those 4 years that are still in the NFL. Battle, Bryant, Lloyd and Ummm 3? Retirements only count if the players were average or above.

As far as OLinemen goes, only a few have left the team. Harris was deemed the problem child of the group. Did anything change when he left? I think he's out of the league now. But when he left it confirmed what I already knew. Our Line was crap and nothing changed when Harris went to the Raiders.

So IMHO, I want to see the other things fixed before we fix QB. Cause as the Harris change proved, just cause you got rid of the "problem child" the problem still existed.

If fixing these issues fixes the problem then maybe the "problem child" was never the problem to begin with.

~Ceadder
Anyone else think Alex will be on the Seahawks next year with all our other failed McClouhan rejects
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Anyone else think Alex will be on the Seahawks next year with all our other failed McClouhan rejects

All this back and forth is really meaningless except to exercise your debate and/or insult muscles. I think we can all agree this season is it for Smith. No more excuses. Either he proves, once and for all, that he can get the job done, or, he proves the naysayers right and is not worthy of the starting nod. And, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit skeptical. Still, Smith has also given us enough glimpses of competence to give reason for hope. However, if the old Alex surfaces; the guy who is off target, quick to dump off, lacking pocket presence, etc., I'll be calling for Carr or Davis (hopefully the latter if he shows good against tougher competition, as Raye suggests). I for one, am extremely curious and can't wait.
I know this won't really work - but it's worth a try.

There is a huge communication disconnect between people on either side of the Alex Debate. On one side we have people who don't like Alex Smith, they tend to have two beliefs that they assume everyone should agree with -

1. Alex has never shown the ability to play quarterback at the NFL level.

2. Alex has played for 5 years, therefore it is useless to hope that he may improve from being an awful quarterback.

Any reply to these two assumptions is (in most cases) immediately branded as an "Alexcuse" and then the poster's intelligence is bashed.

People on this side of the debate also seem to think that the other side has the following assumptions.

1. Alex has always been poor in the past, but these past performance should be excused because of difficult circumstances.

2. Alex will suddenly fulfill all of his potential as a 1st overall pick this season because the excuses are no longer in place.

Here's the problem - these assumptions are way off, and when you argue about them, you're just confusing the point.

People who support Alex don't agree that Alex has never played well.

They don't believe that subpar quarterback play is acceptable, but they also don't think that a quarterback's play can be evaluated without discussing the unacceptable subpar play by the players around him.

They hope that Alex plays well this year because he played well for a good portion of last year and has shown improvement every year he has played the game (all 3 of them) not because they are blind or somehow lack all football intelligence.

Of course, these points can be debated - but it doesn't really seem like anyone is interesting in having a discussion on the topic. Rather, everyone keeps talking right past each other. Everyone already knows if you like him or not, you're not going to win any one over at this point with a well worded argument.

Look, we all want a good quarterback. We all want to make the playoffs. And we will all spend this year watching and waiting to see if Alex can deliver them to us.

Here's to hoping he can!
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
All this back and forth is really meaningless except to exercise your debate and/or insult muscles. I think we can all agree this season is it for Smith. No more excuses. Either he proves, once and for all, that he can get the job done, or, he proves the naysayers right and is not worthy of the starting nod. And, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit skeptical. Still, Smith has also given us enough glimpses of competence to give reason for hope. However, if the old Alex surfaces; the guy who is off target, quick to dump off, lacking pocket presence, etc., I'll be calling for Carr or Davis (hopefully the latter if he shows good against tougher competition, as Raye suggests). I for one, am extremely curious and can't wait.

Sorry -- you do make sense -- but I still disagree.

Alex will probably fail again this season -- but there will still be people on this board who will make excuses for him. It will be either his line -- his receivers -- the playcalling -- the defense -- the fans who don't think he can succeed (that whole negative thinking thread was a real trip) -- my point is -- SOMEONE will start making excuses for him.

Not everyone mind you. Alex still has a lot of support on this board from posters who agree that this is the year for him to put up or shut up.

But people will continue to make excuses for him when he fails.

And he will fail
Wow... see that catch by Tony Gonzales? Now THAT is how a TE catches a "high" pass.

Alex will probably fail again this season -- but there will still be people on this board who will make excuses for him. It will be either his line -- his receivers -- the playcalling -- the defense -- the fans who don't think he can succeed (that whole negative thinking thread was a real trip) -- my point is -- SOMEONE will start making excuses for him.

Not everyone mind you. Alex still has a lot of support on this board from posters who agree that this is the year for him to put up or shut up.

And he will fail

If Excuses are like Ashholes; then Alex has a couple really loud ones....

Kidding aside, I hope he doesn't fail and we make it to the playoffs; but, IMO Alex must improve his game to keep his job...
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

It's a civil war amongst us. Smith backers are not more loyal than the Smith haters/bashers, realists, whatever you call us. We expect more than what we have been given by this franchise lately. That includes Smith.

Smith has to prove us wrong. For the sake of the team, I hope he can. It's time to be above average. No more up and down games. Everything is there.

Why does all of the blame fall on Smith? If the OL isn't giving him 3 seconds... if the receivers can't catch what is in their hands... why is that always dumped on the QB?

( not being a d!ck about this... just asking )

Its about making plays and Smith really hasn't shown this to us. It would be nice if played to his potential for a full game.

Hasn't every year since 2007 been called Alex's make or break year? He keeps breaking but people want to give him more chances. I'm pretty sure next year will be the same exercise, also labeled as a make or break year.
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:
Hasn't every year since 2007 been called Alex's make or break year? He keeps breaking but people want to give him more chances. I'm pretty sure next year will be the same exercise, also labeled as a make or break year.

it has 2007 injured 2008 injured

2009 18 tds in 10 games

And he will fail

At least you really hope he does.
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:

2007 and 2008 were just "break" years as in third degree separation of his throwing shoulder.

[ Edited by BHulman on Aug 19, 2010 at 18:02:55 ]
Originally posted by BHulman:

And he will fail

At least you really hope he does.

I do not!
Share 49ersWebzone