LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

singletary MAKING BIG MISTAKES.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You'd think we were 0-5 or 0-6 by the way some people on this board piss and moan so much.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
San Diego is right on the TO's. Does anyone else realize that blowing those TO's officially put the game away. If we had a timeout we could have challenged Delanie's non fumble. At that time the score was 21-10 instead Atlanta gets the ball deep in our territory scores a TD and it's a ball game.

Granted this is the 1st time that it happens so I'm giving Singletary a pass, but you can't treat TO's like Mike Martz use to. If you blow all three of them you can't challenge criticial plays in the game, and that's exactly what happened to us.

^^^^^

Here is a poster with some knowledge.

Timeouts: Possibly.
Game and clock management: No. And even if it were close now, it'd be too soon to judge overall.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
The whole time out issue is nitpicking for the sake of something to complain about. Mike Singletary is Mike Singletary and he is his own individual, if he wasn't you'd complain about that.

And if you truly believe Coaches like BW, Jimmy Johnson or any other HC (be it one who is good to great or one who is not cut out to be a HC) would not call or have not called a timeout because they see their players are gassed (which is fairly normal last I checked when the D is on the field for nearly 2/3rd's of the game), are losing their focus due to being frustrated and flustered which in turn usually causes mental mistakes to be made then you are being ignorant to that fact.

No matter how prepared you are one small mental mistake can lead to a big play or chain of mental mistakes that results in a momentum swing in your opponents favor. "Pep Rally" timeouts are in fact common in the NFL and are called to try and stop a team's momentum and get your team back on the same page and get your guys a quick breather. It has nothing to do with the team's preparation during the week and you can't really prepare for all in game adjustments that teams will make. You seriously need to stop being ignorant to the fact and accept it. You don't have to like it but you should become accepting of it because it likely will never go away.

Here's the problem blowing your timeouts also leads to missing out on a momentum swings. Either it costs you time at the end of the half which potentially costs you points or it costs you a challenge which is probally going to be a momentum swinging play, and in our case definetily was.

You can't burn multiple timeouts early in the half on rah rah speeches. That's poor management.

Which is why teams practice the no huddle and 2 minute offense and have to be prepared to run it with all or none of your timeouts. They prepare for situations like that.

Also sometimes those challenges are not overturned no matter how clear it is to you or me if the ref can't see indisputable evidence they can't overturn the call and there are times that refs flat out blow a reviewed call. You can't count on a challenge to swing the momentum thus why you have to assure your team doesn't allow for too many mental mistakes and if calling a timeout to get everyone back on the same page is what is needed then do it. You preferably want to save your timeouts but you have to use them to your advantage and sometimes a "pep rally" timeout can work to your advantage. Others it will bite you in the ass but so much of football is risk vs reward and you have to take certain risks.

I disagree. You count on challenges because you're ensuring that all momentum changing plays are called correctly on your behalf. The last thing you want is a 7 point swing on a blown call like we had last Sunday.

I'm not saying there's no place for a rah rah timeout, but you can't have 7:00 on the clock and no timeouts. It's just poor game management. You bring up the 2 minute offense. Let's say we got the pinned deep with under 2 minutes to go. No timeouts no ability to stop the clock and force a punt.

Like I said though this is 1st time that it's happened to Singletary so he deserves some benefit of the doubt. If this was Mike Martz and his history of not caring about when you use a timeout it would be a different story.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
I will try to watch as many games as I can this weekend and I will show you that ALL coaches you time outs when the team needs a rest of a swift kick in the head? While you are at it why don't you go watch football and learn how it is played since you obviously don't know very much.

OMG TRASH please don't waste your time.... look through his post history....look at every one of his posts in this thread.......

seriously for those people who can't see what SD9er is trying to do, it is quite obvious.....

so don't let him get to you.....he got me with that one hilarious posts and I shut him up.....he didn't answer my question....so everyone who has any sense left, after being exposed to this thread....leave as soon as you can.

early in the thread he basically said Singletary should be our MASCOT! it shows his hatred runs deep that this team actually has played well enough for Sing to be praised....and that Sing will most likely keep the job......it burnnnnnsssssss

Oh so this!!!!!!

And another thing SanDiego, what's really up with you? You claim to be a fan and a die hard at that. Yet, you spend more time arguing the faults of our team than focus on the positives. Seriously, you were almost silent during our 3-1 stint...oh wait a minute, you were there talking it up after the Minny loss, too...my bad.

why?

We have one, only one, huge blow out and the sky is falling, we will fail, and now you are having SingFan complex.

Can count on you for a good now because your true valid points are clouded by your negative and bulls**t filters just like our resident funny man, Singfan.

There never seems to be any positive from you even when we make some great plays or get this, win.

Seriously, who peed in your 49ers cheerios?
okay team lets take a TIME OUT
Originally posted by ninertico:
I will try to watch as many games as I can this weekend and I will show you that ALL coaches you time outs when the team needs a rest of a swift kick in the head? While you are at it why don't you go watch football and learn how it is played since you obviously don't know very much.

OMG TRASH please don't waste your time.... look through his post history....look at every one of his posts in this thread.......

seriously for those people who can't see what SD9er is trying to do, it is quite obvious.....

so don't let him get to you.....he got me with that one hilarious posts and I shut him up.....he didn't answer my question....so everyone who has any sense left, after being exposed to this thread....leave as soon as you can.

early in the thread he basically said Singletary should be our MASCOT! it shows his hatred runs deep that this team actually has played well enough for Sing to be praised....and that Sing will most likely keep the job......it burnnnnnsssssss

Oh so this!!!!!!

And another thing SanDiego, what's really up with you? You claim to be a fan and a die hard at that. Yet, you spend more time arguing the faults of our team than focus on the positives. Seriously, you were almost silent during our 3-1 stint...oh wait a minute, you were there talking it up after the Minny loss, too...my bad.

why?

We have one, only one, huge blow out and the sky is falling, we will fail, and now you are having SingFan complex.

Can count on you for a good now because your true valid points are clouded by your negative and bulls**t filters just like our resident funny man, Singfan.

There never seems to be any positive from you even when we make some great plays or get this, win.

man It is not worth trying to understand him....look at this post he just replied with in the 9er vocab thread......JUST LOOK AT IT!

SUCK - What the 49ers have been doing for years and years and what they will continue to do despite false hope.
I don't see how he is that good. Look at the Denver coach for example. 6 - 0 in his rookie season and his team is always prepared.

Singletary:

Lack of preperation - Where were the X's and O's preperation for the Atlanta game? They got their butt kicked all over the field and didn't appear ready or well coached.

Taking timeouts to give worthless PEP RALLY's... Can you picture Bill Walsh doing this? That PEP RALLY cost a challenge later in the game which was a momentum changer and a game changer if it was a close game. Luckily we got blown out like we often do.

Chilo a starter and rotating Guards... Where is the continuity to the offensive line? Find a starter and stick with it. If you don't know who your starters are you aren't a real good coach.

Elevating DIVA (Crabtree) to a starter after missing all of preseason, all the games and training camp. Obviously he is not ready. He barely knows the plays at this point. And what does it do for the locker room? He's losing his guys. Guys are already complaining. Tree hasn't earned anything yet.

Yelling at opposing teams players. How is this HC worthy? A HC is supposed to be well above this level.

IMO Singletary is a highly emotional guy who wants to win but doesn't control his emotions well enough to be a steady head coach. Mike Nolan was better with game management / time management by far. I don't believe we can win with Singletary in the present state. He needs to tone it down a little and be a coach instead of an inspirational leader and motivational speaker.

Discuss Singletary's good and bad points thus far.

Lack of preperation - Where were the X's and O's preperation for the Atlanta game? They got their butt kicked all over the field and didn't appear ready or well coached.

Hey, can't argue with the score 45 points scored against us, that does not feel good.

Taking timeouts to give worthless PEP RALLY's... Can you picture Bill Walsh doing this? That PEP RALLY cost a challenge later in the game which was a momentum changer and a game changer if it was a close game. Luckily we got blown out like we often do.

Wow, did this actually happen? I hope it wasn't like that.

Chilo a starter and rotating Guards... Where is the continuity to the offensive line? Find a starter and stick with it. If you don't know who your starters are you aren't a real good coach.

The Great teams of the 80s rotated Guy McIntyre and Bubba Paris, I don't know why we can't run a similar scheme in today's game.

Elevating DIVA (Crabtree) to a starter after missing all of preseason, all the games and training camp. Obviously he is not ready. He barely knows the plays at this point. And what does it do for the locker room? He's losing his guys. Guys are already complaining. Tree hasn't earned anything yet.

You do have a point here, definitely playing time should be earned instead of drafted, I think we just need to play awsome 49ers ball.

Yelling at opposing teams players. How is this HC worthy? A HC is supposed to be well above this level.

I have no view here

IMO Singletary is a highly emotional guy who wants to win but doesn't control his emotions well enough to be a steady head coach. Mike Nolan was better with game management / time management by far. I don't believe we can win with Singletary in the present state. He needs to tone it down a little and be a coach instead of an inspirational leader and motivational speaker.

Oh so this!!!!!!

why?

Exactly what I think. I really wonder if he complains about the sky being blue or puppies being cute. Never ending negativity and hate. And lets finish this with a big
I shall revisit this thread once the Niners are eliminated from playoff contention.
Singletary has said that when he has timeouts, he is going to use them. He isn't going to use them for just the sake of using them, but it instills the attitude of leaving everything on the field.

• GORO
  • Veteran
I live in Maryland and I am glad that we have Singleterry. Jim Zorn like Sing had no coordinator experience, no head coaching experience, yet Sing has the 49ers believing in what he does.

Shaun Hill is not the best Qb in the NFL but he is a winner. Maybe the real problem is the conservative approach that the 49ers have taken under Raye. Some blame Sing, some blame Raye, but it was Sing who hired him.

In summary I am glad to have Sing we are 3-2 and even if we lose against Houston we are more competive than we were under Nolan. 6 straight losing seasons and finally we are competivie and we are not satisfied. If we beat Houston we will be 4-2 with a 3-0 division record, I only wish he had a better understanding of the passing game, and that is why when Martz left I was a bit dissapointed.

Go 49ers
I've been a webzoner for a long time, but don't post much. But I will say this, this sandiego dude(ette) is a crybaby. Waaaa. The dude said at the beginning of the year we'd be 1-15. Now we're 3-2, and somehow the coach sucks. Where's the logic? I guess that says it all.

Oh so this!!!!!!

why?

man It is not worth trying to understand him....look at this post he just replied with in the 9er vocab thread......JUST LOOK AT IT!

SUCK - What the 49ers have been doing for years and years and what they will continue to do despite false hope.

Ah, a spoken like a true leader amongst men. 1-15? He truly believed it, too...seems like he still does.

Originally posted by 9erlover:
I've been a webzoner for a long time, but don't post much. But I will say this, this sandiego dude(ette) is a crybaby. Waaaa. The dude said at the beginning of the year we'd be 1-15. Now we're 3-2, and somehow the coach sucks. Where's the logic? I guess that says it all.

Hmmm. Good point.

While fans certainly may criticize and still be fans, I think that Tico's point is a good one: When a "fan" consistently stays silent when the team is winning (or worse, hopes for failure in the face of victory) and b***hes when it is losing, how can that person be a fan?
Originally posted by miked1978:
I love how the wheels on the bandwagon fall off when we lose one game.

I don't give a damn about the timeouts. He's a different kind of coach, let him coach how he wants.

We got our butts kicked by a good Atlanta team. It happens, get over it. You're an idiot if you think we are playoff caliber. The only reason we are even close to the playoffs is because we play in the NFC West.

I like Singletary. He knows Xs and Os more than any of us armchair GMs. This is his first full year as head coach, he's going to make mistkes. Lets see how the team does the rest of the season before we all jump off the wagon.

It is amazing how people think Coach Sing is the problem. I agree with what you are saying above.... McClueless has not given Sing the talent he needs at key positions and for a team like this to even be talking about the playoffs it is a true salute to Coach Sing. He made some rookie mistakes but he will learn, give him a chance.
Share 49ersWebzone