There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whats up with Brandon Jones??

Originally posted by ninertico:
A Scotty F-up? Are you guys serious?

Scotty signed him because we didn't know our WR situation back in January and now this? If Bruce didn't come back and we didn't pick Crabtree, he would be heralded as a savvy GM.

He did his job and made sure we had a WR. Then, fate gave him Bruce and Crabtree. I think Jones will get his chance, but attitude goes a long way on this team. His remarks will only place him Singletary's dog house especially after he essentially calls out his coaches by saying he would play himself to the media no less.

STHU Jones and do your job! If that is ST for now, then it is ST for now. Frickin' cry baby...who's the prima donna?

On the flip side, you can't say enough about Josh's character.

Look forward to Crabtree and Morgan as our future starting WRs! Nice young tandem.

If a hiring manager keeps hiring employees who never deliver on their promises sooner or later you start asking yourself if the hiring manager is doing his job.

Sorry, but if this were the ONLY off-season acquisition gone south this fall, I'd give Scott the benefit of the doubt. EVERY off-season question mark the 49ers had in 2008 will STILL BE a question mark in the 2009 offseason:

Pass-rush
offensive line
wide receiver
safety
QB

We knew these were issues starting this year and AGAIN, 3rd years in a row, in some cases 4 - still issues. How many more years?
[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Scotty signed him because we didn't know our WR situation back in January and now this? If Bruce didn't come back and we didn't pick Crabtree, he would be heralded as a savvy GM.

He did his job and made sure we had a WR. Then, fate gave him Bruce and Crabtree. I think Jones will get his chance, but attitude goes a long way on this team. His remarks will only place him Singletary's dog house especially after he essentially calls out his coaches by saying he would play himself to the media no less.

STHU Jones and do your job! If that is ST for now, then it is ST for now. Frickin' cry baby...who's the prima donna?

Look forward to Crabtree and Morgan as our future starting WRs! Nice young tandem.

If a hiring manager keeps hiring employees who never deliver on their promises sooner or later you start asking yourself if the hiring manager is doing his job.

Sorry, but if this were the ONLY off-season acquisition gone south this fall, I'd give Scott the benefit of the doubt. EVERY off-season question mark the 49ers had in 2008 will STILL BE a question mark in the 2009 offseason:

Pass-rush
offensive line
wide receiver
safety
QB

We knew these were issues starting this year and AGAIN, 3rd years in a row, in some cases 4 - still issues. How many more years?

Can't remember there being any good OL available in FA.
Can't remember there being any good QB available in FA.
Can't remember there being any good S available in FA.
Can't remember there being any good OLB available in FA.
Only decent WR I can remember would be Housh.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Pass-rush
offensive line
wide receiver
safety
QB

Can't remember there being any good OL available in FA.
Can't remember there being any good QB available in FA.
Can't remember there being any good S available in FA.
Can't remember there being any good OLB available in FA.
Only decent WR I can remember would be Housh.

-9fA

For four or five years? How long is this excuse valid? Pace is doing pretty good for the Bears. Better than Tony Pashos? Hmmm. There is something called draft picks and trading for needs. NY Jets anyone? If your only option as a GM in the NFL is FA then you really shouldn't be one.

Especially since 3/6 of your "blue chip" starters aren't homegrown draft picks.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM ]
For four or five years? How long does is this excuse valid? Pace is doing pretty good for the Bears. Better than Tony Pashos? Hmmm. There is something called draft picks and trading for needs. NY Jets anyone? If your only option as a GM in the NFL is FA then you really shouldn't be one.

Especially since 4/6 of your "blue chip" starters aren't homegrown draft picks.

Calvin Pace on the Jets? He's had a grand total of 0 sacks this year and 7 sacks last year. That was on a 6yr/$42M contract with $20M guaranteed. That contract made Pace one of the highest paid LBs in NFL history.

We gave Haralson a 4yr/$15M contract with $6.5M guaranteed for almost the same production. You tell me who did the better job there.

Orlando Pace? The same guy who false started last Monday night on 4th down? lol He was turning 33 when he signed with the Bears and got 3yr/$15M contract.

We weren't talking about his draft history now were we?

-9fA
For four or five years? How long does is this excuse valid? Pace is doing pretty good for the Bears. Better than Tony Pashos? Hmmm. There is something called draft picks and trading for needs. NY Jets anyone? If your only option as a GM in the NFL is FA then you really shouldn't be one.

Especially since 4/6 of your "blue chip" starters aren't homegrown draft picks.

Calvin Pace on the Jets? He's had a grand total of 0 sacks this year and 7 sacks last year. That was on a 6yr/$42M contract with $20M guaranteed. That contract made Pace one of the highest paid LBs in NFL history.

We gave Haralson a 4yr/$15M contract with $6.5M guaranteed for almost the same production. You tell me who did the better job there.

Orlando Pace? The same guy who false started last Monday night on 4th down? lol He was turning 33 when he signed with the Bears and got 3yr/$15M contract.

-9fA

No Braylon Edwards for the Jets. I'll take Pace over Tony Pashos and Adam Snyder at RT. Turning 33?

Let's compare Pace to Marvel Smith.

Let's talk about draft history. My count is Davis (finally), Gore, Willis and Staley. He drafted Smiley and let him go. Everyone else would be a bench player on any other squad in the league except maybe Detroit or St. Louis.

Your pick - we can talk about this last off-season or any compilation of off-seasons. The body of work is starting to congeal and build a clear case.
No Braylon Edwards for the Jets. I'll take Pace over Tony Pashos and Adam Snyder at RT. Turning 33?

Let's talk about draft history. My count is Davis (finally), Gore, Willis and Staley. He drafted Smiley and let him go. Everyone else would be a bench player on any other squad in the league except maybe Detroit or St. Louis.

Your pick - we can talk about this last off-season or any compilation of off-seasons. The body of work is starting to congeal and build a clear case.

You wanted for us to trade for Braylon Edwards? Why? Don't we already have enough money tied to the WR position. We need our draft picks in order to address those needs at G and T. By the way, Edwards is a FA after this season and if the Jets don't re-sign him, it's gonna be a fail on their part.

It's not McCloughan's fault that nobody else realized how to use Davis till Raye has come along. It really is just as simple as sending him up the seam....Agreed with you on Smiley, we should have re-signed him. The rest of the paragraph was just hyerbole.

-9fA

You wanted for us to trade for Braylon Edwards? Why? Don't we already have enough money tied to the WR position. We need our draft picks in order to address those needs at G and T. By the way, Edwards is a FA after this season and if the Jets don't re-sign him, it's gonna be a fail on their part.

It's not McCloughan's fault that nobody else realized how to use Davis till Raye has come along. It really is just as simple as sending him up the seam....Agreed with you on Smiley, we should have re-signed him. The rest of the paragraph was just hyerbole.

-9fA

No dude. I didn't want us to trade for Edwards it was an EXAMPLE of how a team aggressively tries to fills needs despite the FA market. I'm sorry I should have made that a little more clear.

It's not McCloughan's fault that nobody else realized how to use Davis til Ray has come along? And how many drops has Davis had before this year?

LOL!!! Hyperbole?

Marvel Smith hyperbole?
Brandon Jones hyperbole?
No pass-rusher hyperbole (for 4 years)?
And the quiet/unnoticed bust in Kentwan Balmer hypbole?
We said Jerrod Allen wasn't worth his FA price yet we pay Smith or Clements the even more? Hyperbole?

That's not a response bud, that's a cop out. Come one give me some reasoning as to why you think what I said is hyperbole.

-9fA

No dude. I didn't want us to trade for Edwards it was an EXAMPLE of how a team aggressively tries to fills needs despite the FA market. I'm sorry I should have made that a little more clear.

It's not McCloughan's fault that nobody else realized how to use Davis til Ray has come along? And how many drops has Davis had before this year?

LOL!!! Hyperbole?

Marvel Smith hyperbole?
Brandon Jones hyperbole?
We said Jerrod Allen wasn't worth his FA price yet we pay Smith or Clements the even more? Hyperbole?

That's not a response bud, that's a cop out. Come one give me some reasoning as to why you think what I said is hyperbole.

Reading is key, I wrote "The rest of the paragraph was just hyperbole." Not the whole post, just that paragraph where you said "Everyone else would be a bench player on any other squad in the league except maybe Detroit or St. Louis."

That's hyperbole.

-9fA

-9fA

LOL!!! Hyperbole?

Marvel Smith hyperbole?
Brandon Jones hyperbole?

Reading is key, I wrote "The rest of the paragraph was just hyperbole." Not the whole post, just that paragraph where you said "Everyone else would be a bench player on any other squad in the league except maybe Detroit or St. Louis."

That's hyperbole.

-9fA

Wait you say I wanted us to trade for Braylon Edwards and accuse me of not reading?!?! ROFL!!!

Again, tell me on what team outside the two I named where Soapoaga, Snyder, Baas, Rachal, Balmer, Brown, Simms, Robinson, Walker, Clayton, Cohen, Jason Hill, Moore, Brown, McDonald, Gordon, Wallace, etc.

Particularly 2008 - I call that the bust draft

1 Kentwan Balmer
2 Chilo Rachal
3 Reggie Smith
4 Cody Wallace
6 Josh Morgan
7 Larry Grant

Again, you're calling hyperbole - please tell me where these guys start outside of the teams I mentioned?

-9fA

LOL!!! Hyperbole?

Marvel Smith hyperbole?
Brandon Jones hyperbole?

That's hyperbole.

-9fA

Wait you say I wanted us to trade for Braylon Edwards and accuse me of not reading?!?! ROFL!!!

Again, tell me on what team outside the two I named where Soapoaga, Snyder, Baas, Rachal, Balmer, Brown, Simms, Robinson, Walker, Clayton, Cohen, Jason Hill, Moore, Brown, McDonald, Gordon, Wallace, etc.

1 Kentwan Balmer
2 Chilo Rachal
3 Reggie Smith
4 Cody Wallace
6 Josh Morgan
7 Larry Grant

Again, you're calling hyperbole - please tell me where these guys start outside of the teams I mentioned?

You said "No Braylon Edwards for the Jets." We were talking about FA moves, Edwards has never been a FA so the only way to get Edwards would be to trade for him. I replied "You wanted for us to trade for Braylon Edwards?". Did you not see the question mark at the end? I thought that might have been a big clue!

Hyperbole: An intentional exaggeration for emphasis or comic effect.

Can't believe i have to spell everything out.

-9fA

-9fA

LOL!!! Hyperbole?

Marvel Smith hyperbole?
Brandon Jones hyperbole?

That's hyperbole.

-9fA

1 Kentwan Balmer
2 Chilo Rachal
3 Reggie Smith
4 Cody Wallace
6 Josh Morgan
7 Larry Grant

You said "No Braylon Edwards for the Jets." We were talking about FA moves, Edwards has never been a FA so the only way to get Edwards would be to trade for him. I replied "You wanted for us to trade for Braylon Edwards?". Did you not see the question mark at the end? I thought that might have been a big clue!

Hyperbole: An intentional exaggeration for emphasis or comic effect.

Can't believe i have to spell everything out.

-9fA

Siiiiiigh. Dude. Incredible. You're a real special person and not too bright. In your attempt to truncate the post, you killed your own question/my response to your thread: Let's follow the bouncing ball:

NinerAUS

-9fA

GM

No, Braylon Edwards for the Jets. I'll take Pace over Tony Pashos and Adam Snyder at RT. Turning 33?

And yet another response without any facts. If you have no facts to bring to the debate, it's a waste man.

I know, I know - you don't want to talk about the drafts or Marvel Smith... keep talking about hyperbole and hope that I don't notice you don't talk about football....
[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:22 PM ]
Jesus Christ.

First of, you talk about facts. What facts do you use? That "everyone else would be a bench player on any other squad in the league except maybe Detroit or St. Louis."? That McCloughans' 2008 draft is a "bust draft"?

The only universal facts there are in judging players are their statistics. EVERYTHING else is opinion. I hope you see this. There are very little facts to be used.

I love to talk football, i just don't want to talk football with someone who makes statements such those above and then says that i don't use facts lol. How the hell am i supposed to know where the players you listed might start? How do you even reply to a question like that?

And yes i called you out on your hyperbole. You asked for reasoning as to why what you said was hyperbole, i gave you reasoning. There is no shame in using hyperbole. It's ok. We all do it. Just when you get called on it, don't get all defensive.

And i'm sorry i couldn't connect your word sentence to some previous post. I still have no idea why you mentioned Edwards or where he came from and yes you could have made it more clear.

This is bloody hilarious and sad at the same time. Cheers.

-9fA
Jesus Christ.

First of, you talk about facts. What facts do you use? That "everyone else would be a bench player on any other squad in the league except maybe Detroit or St. Louis."? That McCloughans' 2008 draft is a "bust draft"?

The only universal facts there are in judging players are their statistics. EVERYTHING else is opinion. I hope you see this. There are very little facts to be used.

I love to talk football, i just don't want to talk football with someone who makes statements such those above and then says that i don't use facts lol. How the hell am i supposed to know where the players you listed might start? How do you even reply to a question like that?

And yes i called you out on your hyperbole. You asked for reasoning as to why what you said was hyperbole, i gave you reasoning. There is no shame in using hyperbole. It's ok. We all do it. Just when you get called on it, don't get all defensive.

And i'm sorry i couldn't connect your word sentence to some previous post. I still have no idea why you mentioned Edwards or where he came from and yes you could have made it more clear.

-9fA

Here's a statistic (and my point all along):

NONE OF THOSE PLAYERS ARE STARTERS. NOT ONE PICK FROM THE 2008 draft. Let's just think about that for a moment so it sinks in and you not change the subject....

Not having a starter from an ENTIRE draft is called a BUST draft.

ALL, not one, two or some of the off-season acquisitions ARE NOT STARTING OR CONTRIBUTING AT ALL. That shows up on the statistics:

Brandon Jones: ZERO catches, ZERO TDs, ZERO yards
Marvel Smith: ZERO starts

Those are the fact. That' s not interpretation.

Dude I'm done responding because it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Keep talking about hyperbole it's obvious that you want to talk about that rather than real football statistics.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Jesus Christ.

-9fA

NONE OF THOSE PLAYERS ARE STARTERS. NOT ONE PICK FROM THE 2008 draft. Let's just think about that for a moment so it sinks in and you not change the subject....

ALL, not one, two or some of the off-season acquisitions ARE NOT STARTING OR CONTRIBUTING AT ALL. That shows up on the statistics:

Dude I'm done responding because it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Keep talking about hyperbole it's obvious that you want to talk about that rather than real football statistics.

I don't think you judge if a draft is a complete bust after just one season.
Jesus Christ.

-9fA

LOL, why keep coming back then? I'm trying to drop this hyperbole s**t but you keep bringing it up again. Saying statements like "you have no idea what you're talking about" and then not specifying why doesn't GET US ANYWHERE when having a conversation.

Brandon Jones, out for two months. Of course he wasn't going to start. Is that what you were expecting? Heck, after Bruce came back and Crabtree was drafted it was hard for anybody to see Jones start. You're gonna put all that on McCloughan?

Marvel Smith was a low risk signing that could potentially have had high reward. It didn't work out.

This is all going back to my original point, last offseason, there weren't many value FAs at positions of need.

-9fA