LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Alex Smith & Crabtree Chemistry

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Rofl, even power rankings are asking for Alex Smith to start...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

They also have us ranked 17th in the league...our highest ranking being 16th...not credible.

We've lost to the only legit teams we've played (including a blowout). Why do you figure that #17 is too low? Take into a bad offense led by a scrub QB, and we're lucky we are even top 20.
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

the only way that happens is if Smith is no longer on the team! Or he gets in and fails or he gets in and lives up to his selection

Somehow, I get the feeling the obsession won't end. It just won't be allowed to be posted in this section by the mods if he went to another team.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:31 PM ]
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

the only way that happens is if Smith is no longer on the team! Or he gets in and fails or he gets in and lives up to his selection

Somehow, I get the feeling the obsession won't end. It just won't be allowed to be posted in this section by the mods if he went to another team.

just like the thriving Nolan thread in NFL TALK!
Its a start if Smith replaces Hill
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Method:
I'm baffled on how this entire offensive slump is ALL HILL's fault! I mean he's not calling these terrible/ uncreative run/pass plays! He's not letting d linemen through a revolving door, yeah he throws a ugly ball, but Hill will play significantly better if this run game can continue to improve and the oline pulls their head out of their ass!

It's "ALL HILL'S fault" because it's always been "ALL SMITH'S fault.". I think Houston will score 27 points. Do you think we can get higher then that with Hill as our QB?

Sadly, I don't.

I wouldn't put all the blame on smith! He had the worst situation imaginable, but if people were wrong to put the blame entirely on smith it's ok to do it to Hill? No, let try and remain constructive here ( no pun intended to u specifically) but I think Hill still gives us the best shot to win! He makes the plays when we have had to, but we all knew coming into this season, it rested on the D and the run game. D has showed up in the first 4 games, the running game only showed up in the seattle game! Granted gore was out, hopefully him coming back will make Hill's life easier and we can put this qb talk to rest. Theres a reason he won the starting job!

Hill is not playing anywhere near as good as he did last year, and I am not talking about playcalling, or protection. I am talking about missing wide open receivers, even on dump off passes. I was okay with him starting if he could move the chains, but the guy has pretty much sucked and has gotten worse each outing. You might not be one of the ones that blamed the bad situation on Smith, but there are plenty of shortsighted hypocrites that did, and what is funny is how so many of them are now trying to make the same excuse for Hill. That's the zone for you.

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
This is funny I had to post. AS of an article I read today, One of the trainers who used to be a QB is now throwing to CTree till Hill gets back. Of course he's back now. So right, there was such fabulous chemistry they took Smith off the job and gave it to a trainer who used to be a QB to throw to him.

Imagine if you are Smith and even, tossing the ball to the new guy is taken away because, They don't the WR to get bad habits from catching Smith's balls!!!!!!!!! That's wot I think.. sad, but so true.

I am not definitely saying Hill is the man of the hour, but Smith's talent level is so low, it makes Hill the starter by default. Just ger Davis in I say. If Sanchez, Stafford, Ryan ( the qb who kicked our ass) and Flacco can do it, then Davis can too. Open your eyes, not everyone comes to the NFL from a trick offense without presence.. oh what's the use, it's all been said before..

Bust, he is, bust he is.

Ok then if you don't believe me, there was a great interview MM did with the guy who studies all the NFL game film and then comments for the NFL, this was a few days ago, and to my mind this is THE most scathing review of A Smith's abilities I have EVER read. To wit:

MM:
I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?

Cosell:
"Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combination's, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

You guys should really.......... GET OVER HIM!!!
I digress..

GO NINERS BEAT THE TAXASSES!!

I read that too. But notice that he didn't ONCE mention Smith as a 9er. It was all re-hashed Urban Meyer BS. So if you're going to give it credence at least acknowledge that and give Smith some credit where it's due.

But hey if you're still butt hurt over Alex's 50 million contract, I understand that too.

As far as a former QB taking over for Smith working with Crabtree, it could be as simple as taking a precautionary measure to keep Smith ready to go in case of Sing's planning on yanking Hill if the man yet AGAIN goes 3 and out over the 1st half of a game.

I think what you don't understand is that Hill is nothing more than a Backup with limited intangibles, a weak pass, cement shoes( at least this season anyway) and what is shaping up to be slightly better than average leadership quality.

All I know is that if Smith gets another chance I hope that he either makes fools of all those who have trashed him, or shows us once and for all that he is not the guy with the same personnel that Hill has had. I think that it give Raye a better QB to open the playbook up with at least. Because it's being severely limited by having Shaun Hill under Center. That's not opinion. That's a straight up cold hard factual reality.

~Ceadder

Yep,Morgan was questioned after the ATL game about a couple of long passes Hill didn't connect with him on and his answer was we didn't or don't practice those plays!

That tells me the coaches don't have complete confidence in Hill and that's not good.
I'd be very surprised if they stick with him the rest of the season unless the offense starts clicking.
I chuckle every time I see someone say that Hill gives us the best chance at winning. How could anyone know that for certain? As much as I'd like to like Hill he's just painful to watch at times. Hill fans say that he's good when he needs to be as if he only tries to throw accurate passes when it matters. A realist would just say he's inconsistent.

He misses short passes to Coffee, his long ball accuracy is worse than JaMarcus Russell's, he can't throw out patterns, his passes are constantly batted down because of his side arm release, he holds on to passes to long and takes easily avoidable sacks, his throwing mechanics are unorthodox, he's not mobile, he has no flair, he's old, he's not and probably never will be a veteran starter. I can go on and on, Hill needs to improve or we need to give him the boot.
Ah yes, that string of hope that still exists for this loser.
Singletary on KNBR this AM:

"Shaun Hill is Mr.Consistent. Shaun Hill is a winner"

We can have all the threads we want about Shaun vs Alex, but looks like it's just a waste of bytes.
Obviously, it's a free world.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersking:

We can have all the threads we want about Shaun vs Alex, but looks like it's just a waste of bytes.

Haven't heard that.......at least Sing isn't throwing Shaun Hill under the Bus like Nolan did Alex Smith.....

Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
This is funny I had to post. AS of an article I read today, One of the trainers who used to be a QB is now throwing to CTree till Hill gets back. Of course he's back now. So right, there was such fabulous chemistry they took Smith off the job and gave it to a trainer who used to be a QB to throw to him.

Imagine if you are Smith and even, tossing the ball to the new guy is taken away because, They don't the WR to get bad habits from catching Smith's balls!!!!!!!!! That's wot I think.. sad, but so true.

More likely, the trainer was the only guy they could find that a weak enough arm to be compared to the passes Hill will be throwing to Crabs. If Crabs got used to passes thrown with actual force behind it, he would never be able to adjust his route running and would always be ahead of the pass.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nes49:

Haven't heard that.......at least Sing isn't throwing Shaun Hill under the Bus like Nolan did Alex Smith.....

180 yards and 1 TD a game. Consistent.

You know who else is consistent? Arnaz Battle. He's good for 500 yards a season. They're both clear winners, especially since we haven't been to the playoffs in 6 years.
Originally posted by B650:

You know who else is consistent? Arnaz Battle. He's good for 500 yards a season. They're both clear winners, especially since we haven't been to the playoffs in 6 years.

Hill is consistently playing like the third stringer he is.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran

Memphis9er......PLEASE SUPPORT WHOEVER IS UNDER CENTER.....this goes to all 49er "Faithful"
  • B650
  • Veteran

Memphis9er......PLEASE SUPPORT WHOEVER IS UNDER CENTER.....this goes to all 49er "Faithful"

I'll support him when he shows me he deserves to be supported. If he plays better and beats Houston, I'll support him. The problem with Hill is that he has no potential, at all. So I don't mind him at QB if we're winning, but if we aren't, he should be benched. It would be different if he had talent and was younger, then I'd support him all the way, knowing that it's just growing pains. For Hill, it's talent pains, and that makes it hard for me to fully support him.
Share 49ersWebzone