LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

Interesting new take on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jta854:
I said it at the time, playing Alex in his first year was BY FAR Nolan's dumbest move.

exactly you dont put a rookie Qb on a team with no talent look at freeman he has a better o line and WR than 05 niners and still sit him out

That's because Freeman is having trouble adjusting to the NFL speed.
This is not a new take. I give credit where credit is due. Some nailed his abilities and future in the NFL because of the system and his football IQ with relation to "seeing" the field.

You guys were right all along because those issues still come up...they haven't dissipated. Sure, he's has had a bum set of circumstances, but we still see the evidence on the field at times. It is not consistent. Sound familiar?

Of course its opinion, but nontheless a respected one.

Nate Davis! Come on down, you are the next contestant on the "QB is Right"!

Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
We made a colossal mistake when we drafted him. We drafted a 5th round talent with the #1 overall pick. Urban Meyer didn't even try to con us. He told the NFL world he can't play in a pro style system.

Urban Meyer never said any such thing.

Urban Meyer stated that Smith was non-functional until he had fully grasped the offense. He never said he couldn't play in a pro style offense.

That's what I meant. Sorry I'm a little hung over.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
He needs to fix his accuracy.

That's all I see wrong.

~ He sees the field pretty well.
~ He mostly makes the right decisions.
~ His athleticism is good enough.
~ He can make the throws.

Accuracy is his downfall. That and 5 offensive cooordinators in 5 years or 7 in 7 if you go back to college. Plus 2 full seasons being injured. The injuries really set him back also.

People forget the year with Norv Turner. There was improvement and progress there. Which leads me to believe he has something. I don't know if it's a lot or not. But he's not completely worthless that is for sure. Whatever he has or had IMO we won't ever see it for the 49ers and maybe will or won't see it ever in the NFL.

He was terribly mis managed and he got injured a lot. That caused his career to crumble.

That's all I see wrong.

Accuracy is his downfall. That and 5 offensive cooordinators in 5 years or 7 in 7 if you go back to college. Plus 2 full seasons being injured. The injuries really set him back also.

People forget the year with Norv Turner. There was improvement and progress there. Which leads me to believe he has something. I don't know if it's a lot or not. But he's not completely worthless that is for sure. Whatever he has or had IMO we won't ever see it for the 49ers and maybe will or won't see it ever in the NFL.

He was terribly mis managed and he got injured a lot. That caused his career to crumble.

No.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
We made a colossal mistake when we drafted him. We drafted a 5th round talent with the #1 overall pick. Urban Meyer didn't even try to con us. He told the NFL world he can't play in a pro style system.

Urban Meyer never said any such thing.

"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player."

Hate to change the topic but had the team stuck with the west coast offense from the very beginning, Smith would have been much further along. Even changing OC's every year would not have mattered much. When you look at our personal, we are totally built for the west coast offense. Too bad the coaching staff doesn't see it.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

That's all I see wrong.

No.

Yes, actually.
Originally posted by jta854:
I said it at the time, playing Alex in his first year was BY FAR Nolan's dumbest move.

yea who do they think he is, matt ryan, joe flacco?

hindsight is 20/20
FREE ALEX

Seeing some of these comments from Cosell makes you wonder exactly what the 49ers' scouts saw in Smith's game which made him worthy of taking #1 overall. And if he's reportedly smart and has had 5 years to figure things out, wouldn't you think he'd be able to read opposing defenses by now? No wonder he holds the ball so long and looks indecisive. Heck, he can't even hit a receiver in stride on most passes. I question whether he'll ever pan out with the 49ers or any other NFL team.
people on this board have been screaming that for years. nothing new.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=126109&page=29
Share 49ersWebzone