LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by cNiner:
talking about Alex

I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?
Cosell: "Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combinations, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/filmophile-breaks-down-49ers.html

the whole article !

hes an idiot

Who's an idiot? I admit AS was thrown into the fire, but, he hasn't progressed at all even in the preseason games this year.
Why don't people just sit back and let AS go. If he came out strong in preseason and made an impact, I would say keep riding the horse, however, he still has shown nothing.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
talking about Alex

I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?
Cosell: "Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combinations, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

the whole article !

hes an idiot

Who's an idiot? I admit AS was thrown into the fire, but, he hasn't progressed at all even in the preseason games this year.
Why don't people just sit back and let AS go. If he came out strong in preseason and made an impact, I would say keep riding the horse, however, he still has shown nothing.

06 showed us improvement and was 2-1 (losss to steelers) b4 getting injured
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
talking about Alex

the whole article !

hes an idiot

he should've been MVP of the league
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Super5:
a couple of more LIES some of these posters try to spew..... it is hilarious...

I read someone posted that if "[b]Hill's Offense continues to struggle on third down bla bla bla" Hill's offense???? THIS IS RAYE'S OFFENSE!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, STOP POSTING!
[/b]
also we have another LAIR who is trying to give off the impression that our Home Crowd Booed Hill off the field, again...

EVERYONE GOT BOOED THAT DAY!! The Defense got Booed, The Offense got Booed, the dropped passes caused Boos....the dumb moves made by Morgan and Bly caused Boos....HILL getting sacked in 2 seconds caused boos....

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

but continue the because Shaun Hill is the 49er starter....where as fans who have any sense (like some in this thread) know that our problem starts first and foremost at the most important area for a football team, the trenches.

I can't wait till I see my 49er starting QB play in 2 weeks....and root my team on....as well as Root on my backup QB who is doing a fine, by assisting his Starting QB, Shaun Hill, at getting ready for opposing defenses....

Great Job Shaun..... and Great Job Alex....

So I don't know WTF I'm talking about??

Let me dumb down my statement for those who no comprende-SHAUN HILL RUNS JIMMY RAYE'S OFFENSE(HE IS THE QB)and is not doing a very good job at it.The NFL stats don't lie so go on that.The problem starts in the trenches with Hill at QB but not when Smith is at QB right????

If no improvement soon there needs to be a change(Smith or Davis) because

I WANT WINNERS

You rant SO MUCH you're all twisted up in your own BS.So you live your life on the zone so what that's your trip,doesn't mean you run this zone so don't tell me or anybody else to stop posting!

this is what you posted....and you bolded "Hill's offense".
"If Hill's offense continues to lead the NFL in 3 and outs without improvement and if there is no change,THAT will be giving up on the season"

I'm just going to leave it at.....Shaun does not make the calls on third down to run the ball....Shaun does not make calls for plays the are ran 2-3 yards short of the first down.... this is the difference with Raye and Martz....even if we were at 3rd 12, Martz would call a play that would get us 12-15 yards.....and *gasp* Shaun Hill would complete it....with the same personal Bruce and company, although Jason Hill was out there making these plays as well.....

So to say that it is Hill's offense that is holding us back from converting 3rd downs...well actually it is Raye's offense....he decides what we should do..... now if Shaun is not following Rayes play calls and has been checking down all this time, then I believe Raye would have got on Shaun's case and I wouldn't be surprised if he benched him.

As far as me spending too much time on here...... I think you're right....at the end last week's game, when I started seeing all these threads popping up about benching the Starting QB and the reasons why....I told myself I should take a bye week from the Zone myself.....because it is one thing when Shaun was helping us win games that we had the same people slam him....and of course when the Team loses all hell breaks loose because for 2 weeks posters can talk sh1t freely because there will no 9er football to be seen to shut them up....

so I'll see if I can stay away for a couple of weeks.....as far as 9ertalk goes.

Audible

look, dude....I know Memphis likes to say that Shaun has the ability to audible...but that is not entirely true.... Shaun is NOT allowed to audible out of a running play......he stated this after the Arizona game when asked about why we kept running at their dline when it was obvious they were stacking the line. I tried to digg up the interview but I can't find video of it......but you can google it and you will find that I'm not the only one who heard it....I'm sure one of us can ask Matt M. about this topic and he will back it up.....

so when Shaun can't convert 3rd and something, because we chose to run the ball....that is not entirely his fault......and of course this coupled with drops on 3rd downs that would have resulted in 1st downs (some from Coffee, some from Bruce, and others) all have an affect on why our 3rd down conversion rates are so low.....and this is why you don't hear our coaches even entertaining the idea of benching him....they are there, they know what is going on.

If he's not allowed to audible then you have to ask,why not?Something is seriously wrong there.Look,I'm not one who's calling for Hill to be replaced(yet) but what you're seeing on the field and in the stats is no lie.The offense as a whole is not getting it done.Changes need to be made first on the O-line and if still no improvement then at QB because at the rate they are going they will not make the playoffs unless the D was to have a Raven like year which is unlikely.

GO NINERS

I read someone posted that if "[b]Hill's Offense continues to struggle on third down bla bla bla" Hill's offense???? THIS IS RAYE'S OFFENSE!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, STOP POSTING!
[/b]
also we have another LAIR who is trying to give off the impression that our Home Crowd Booed Hill off the field, again...

EVERYONE GOT BOOED THAT DAY!! The Defense got Booed, The Offense got Booed, the dropped passes caused Boos....the dumb moves made by Morgan and Bly caused Boos....HILL getting sacked in 2 seconds caused boos....

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

but continue the because Shaun Hill is the 49er starter....where as fans who have any sense (like some in this thread) know that our problem starts first and foremost at the most important area for a football team, the trenches.

I can't wait till I see my 49er starting QB play in 2 weeks....and root my team on....as well as Root on my backup QB who is doing a fine, by assisting his Starting QB, Shaun Hill, at getting ready for opposing defenses....

Let me dumb down my statement for those who no comprende-SHAUN HILL RUNS JIMMY RAYE'S OFFENSE(HE IS THE QB)and is not doing a very good job at it.The NFL stats don't lie so go on that.The problem starts in the trenches with Hill at QB but not when Smith is at QB right????

I WANT WINNERS

You rant SO MUCH you're all twisted up in your own BS.So you live your life on the zone so what that's your trip,doesn't mean you run this zone so don't tell me or anybody else to stop posting!

"If Hill's offense continues to lead the NFL in 3 and outs without improvement and if there is no change,THAT will be giving up on the season"

I'm just going to leave it at.....Shaun does not make the calls on third down to run the ball....Shaun does not make calls for plays the are ran 2-3 yards short of the first down.... this is the difference with Raye and Martz....even if we were at 3rd 12, Martz would call a play that would get us 12-15 yards.....and *gasp* Shaun Hill would complete it....with the same personal Bruce and company, although Jason Hill was out there making these plays as well.....

So to say that it is Hill's offense that is holding us back from converting 3rd downs...well actually it is Raye's offense....he decides what we should do..... now if Shaun is not following Rayes play calls and has been checking down all this time, then I believe Raye would have got on Shaun's case and I wouldn't be surprised if he benched him.

As far as me spending too much time on here...... I think you're right....at the end last week's game, when I started seeing all these threads popping up about benching the Starting QB and the reasons why....I told myself I should take a bye week from the Zone myself.....because it is one thing when Shaun was helping us win games that we had the same people slam him....and of course when the Team loses all hell breaks loose because for 2 weeks posters can talk sh1t freely because there will no 9er football to be seen to shut them up....

so I'll see if I can stay away for a couple of weeks.....as far as 9ertalk goes.

Audible

look, dude....I know Memphis likes to say that Shaun has the ability to audible...but that is not entirely true.... Shaun is NOT allowed to audible out of a running play......he stated this after the Arizona game when asked about why we kept running at their dline when it was obvious they were stacking the line. I tried to digg up the interview but I can't find video of it......but you can google it and you will find that I'm not the only one who heard it....I'm sure one of us can ask Matt M. about this topic and he will back it up.....

so when Shaun can't convert 3rd and something, because we chose to run the ball....that is not entirely his fault......and of course this coupled with drops on 3rd downs that would have resulted in 1st downs (some from Coffee, some from Bruce, and others) all have an affect on why our 3rd down conversion rates are so low.....and this is why you don't hear our coaches even entertaining the idea of benching him....they are there, they know what is going on.

If he's not allowed to audible then you have to ask,why not?Something is seriously wrong there.Look,I'm not one who's calling for Hill to be replaced(yet) but what you're seeing on the field and in the stats is no lie.The offense as a whole is not getting it done.Changes need to be made first on the O-line and if still no improvement then at QB because at the rate they are going they will not make the playoffs unless the D was to have a Raven like year which is unlikely.

GO NINERS

People can argue that Hill is to timid to audible, or throw a ball in tight coverage because he doesn't want to make a mistake, if that is the case the coaches need to tell him to just go out there and play football, and this is has not been done so far.

We shouldn't have expected anything different, during the offseason this was preached a lot to the team, being a physical run team, not turning the ball over, sticking to the plays even if they don't work...as long as this mentality is still here, nothing on offense will change.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
talking about Alex

the whole article !

hes an idiot

since when did improvement mean best in the world i said he showed promise to be a good Qb before he was injured even with our mediocore team
Originally posted by Giant9er:

What are those tooth picks that he's standing on?
Originally posted by BHulman:

[/b]

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

I WANT WINNERS

Audible

This issue has obviously become really emotional for a lot of people. I just don't get how Hill is now afforded all of the excuses that Smith is denied.

I admire what Hill has done but ultimately I think his ceiling is too low to be the future of this team beyond this year. Smith showed some potential prior to his injury. I know this is very debatable and it is just my opinion. But if this season turns south, then the Niners have to see what they have in Smith. The organization wouldn't have kept him if they didn't want to get another look. Maybe Smith will turn out to be the bust that so many have deemed him to be. So be it. It will be time to move on then. Maybe then it would be time to give Davis a look. The Niners need to know what they must do at quarterback (especially since they have two firsts next year) next year. That means they need to know what they have now.

Maybe the Atlanta game was an abberation. I also agree that a lot of factors beyond Hill are contributing to the poor play of the offense. But the same thing can be said for the time Smith was in there. If he comes back strong then I am fine with him keeping the job. He has earned it. But if that game proves not to be an abberation then there is no point in continuing forward with him. It won't all be his fault but ultimately the organization has to decide whether or not he could be the kind of quarterback who could lead us out of the desert. If not, we need to see what else we have and we need to see it this year. That will have a big impact on next years draft.

This...
talking about Alex

the whole article !

Can't agree more... about Hill too BTW
[ Edited by pigskin on Oct 18, 2009 at 11:16 AM ]

talking about Alex

the whole article !

hes an idiot

since when did improvement mean best in the world i said he showed promise to be a good Qb before he was injured even with our mediocore team

Just a typical response thrown out there by someone without a legitimate rebuttal to a fact. Just shows how limited his depth of knowledge on the subject is.
talking about Alex

the whole article !

Just for the sake of equal representation.

In the same article, talking about Hill:

On the other side of the ball, the 49ers have some problems, don't they?

Cosell: "The one thing fans might not realize is that coaches know exactly what their players can and can't do. If a team gets down, like the Niners, and they can't throw to get back in the game and fans go, 'Oh, my, they can't throw!' Well, the 49ers know that, too. They can't play in those kinds of games. They can't win those kinds of games. They have to play in games where their defense keeps the game close, so their offense can run the ball. I think (Shaun) Hill has had some nice moments this year. I thought his (fourth-quarter) drive against Arizona Week 1 was very, very good. I have some problems with the way Arizona chose to play defense on that drive, but you still have to make the throws. Same with Minnesota. I thought Hill made some very good throws. I thought Minnesota had some problems with playing their coverages and the responsibilities within those coverages, but you still have to make the throws. But at the end of the day, Hill is not going to be a guy who's going to consistently drop back and make throw after throw after throw to either keep you in games or win games."

Make you feel better about the QB situation? To me it seems a choice of taking the lesser of two evils. I have to ask, what do you think will happen first, Smith might learn NFL offense, or Hill will develop a stronger arm and the ability to throw a spiral? I think one is teachable and the others are limited by nature.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
talking about Alex

the whole article !

Just for the sake of equal representation.

In the same article, talking about Hill:

On the other side of the ball, the 49ers have some problems, don't they?

Cosell: "The one thing fans might not realize is that coaches know exactly what their players can and can't do. If a team gets down, like the Niners, and they can't throw to get back in the game and fans go, 'Oh, my, they can't throw!' Well, the 49ers know that, too. They can't play in those kinds of games. They can't win those kinds of games. They have to play in games where their defense keeps the game close, so their offense can run the ball. I think (Shaun) Hill has had some nice moments this year. I thought his (fourth-quarter) drive against Arizona Week 1 was very, very good. I have some problems with the way Arizona chose to play defense on that drive, but you still have to make the throws. Same with Minnesota. I thought Hill made some very good throws. I thought Minnesota had some problems with playing their coverages and the responsibilities within those coverages, but you still have to make the throws. But at the end of the day, Hill is not going to be a guy who's going to consistently drop back and make throw after throw after throw to either keep you in games or win games."

Make you feel better about the QB situation? To me it seems a choice of taking the lesser of two evils. I have to ask, what do you think will happen first, Smith might learn NFL offense, or Hill will develop a stronger arm and the ability to throw a spiral? I think one is teachable and the others are limited by nature.

Agreed, but some QBs have less-than-average arms, yet still do very well in the NFL because of other things they do well. Montana didn't have the strongest arm, but he had everything else going for him.

I think if Hill continues to play like he's playing, he should be benched. Yes, a lot of it has to do with his arm strength, but that isn't everything. JaMarcus Russell has arm strength and he's probably worse than Hill. Hill just isn't very good at anything. That's the problem. He isn't accurate, has no mobility, can't make quick decisions, and the icing on the cake is his arm strength.

I can't put the blame all on him though. This OL is the worst I've seen since 1999. Also, Hill seemed like a much better QB in 2007 and 2008, so I think a lot of it has to do with the philosophy of the HC and OC.
talking about Alex

the whole article !

hes an idiot

Just a typical response thrown out there by someone without a legitimate rebuttal to a fact. Just shows how limited his depth of knowledge on the subject is.

Sorry I'm not a Smith homer and I've come to accept the fact that this guy is a bust and moved on.

Your depth of knowledge on this must be great, I mean you spend your time in practice working with Smith everyday, so I'm sure your insight on this matter is held in high regards.

Let's face it guys, he didn't have a great WR, a good oline, and a stable OC...there are few QB's in the league that have this, and most of them have out performed Smith.

For anybody to say that Smith can come win, and play better than Hill, is just comedy...he had his chance in TC & Preseason to win the job, he couldn't beat out a undrafted QB with a noodle arm, that says enough.

And if it wasn't for Nate Davis being a rookie, Alex would've been 3rd on the depth chart.

Hill isn't the answer, but neither is Alex, but for now Hill gives us a better chance to win. Until this last game the Alex fans were in the closet hiding, now that we have a bad game (the whole team all round) they sprout right out...typical.
  • B650
  • Veteran
talking about Alex

the whole article !

hes an idiot

Sorry I'm not a Smith homer and I've come to accept the fact that this guy is a bust and moved on.

Your depth of knowledge on this must be great, I mean you spend your time in practice working with Smith everyday, so I'm sure your insight on this matter is held in high regards.

Let's face it guys, he didn't have a great WR, a good oline, and a stable OC...there are few QB's in the league that have this, and most of them have out performed Smith.

For anybody to say that Smith can come win, and play better than Hill, is just comedy...he had his chance in TC & Preseason to win the job, he couldn't beat out a undrafted QB with a noodle arm, that says enough.

And if it wasn't for Nate Davis being a rookie, Alex would've been 3rd on the depth chart.

Hill isn't the answer, but neither is Alex, but for now Hill gives us a better chance to win. Until this last game the Alex fans were in the closet hiding, now that we have a bad game (the whole team all round) they sprout right out...typical.

Does Hill really give us a better chance to win? What is it about him that makes that so? He's averaging a TD and 180 yards per game. You telling me Smith can't do better than that? I say he can, and he can also change the way the defense plays us because they have to play differently with him out there. With Hill, there are blind spots all over the field that the defense doesn't even have to worry about. I don't see how Hill gives us a better chance to win. Really, I don't. I could've agreed with you if this was last year, but it isn't. It's a new year with a new OC, and I think Alex fits better now.
Share 49ersWebzone