LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Shaun Hill, 1st downs, playoffs-article

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
on top of both of them having better, faster WRs that can stretch the field.....I think when looking at stats like these....I think to be fair, you also have to look at the # of attempts......so

through 6 games Big Ben has 207 attempts

through 5 games Rodgers has 164 attempts

through 5 games Shaun has 144 attempts
(20 less attempts than Rodgers..that's almost like one game)

Well, those numbers are skewed. Of course they have more attempts, they complete more passes and more of them go for 1st downs. You can't really attempt all that many passes when you're going 3 and out over and over again, can you?
  • superkev49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NinerFaithful:
We need to bring back Jeff Garica, even at his age he's better than all our QB combined.He has valuable experience and a former pro-bowler, he can take the reins until next years draft or until Davis or Smith mature.

Slightly off-topic comment but I agree completely!! I don't hate Hill but Garcia is unemployed right now and this team has a defence good enough for the playoffs is the offense can just make some plays! Why waste the good defence?! Garcia isn't Tom Brady (duh!) but I really can't think how he doesn't improve our team.
Let's see how the line blocks the Texans. If they do a good job and Hill still can't get the job done, then we call for his head! Any quarterback should be able to handle pressure, they are paid big bucks to understand defenses, make adjustments to blitzes/coverages they see, throw to hot reads when blitzes come at them or scramble and throw the ball away rather then fumble or take a sack. The offense is run by THE QUARTERBACK so the 3 and outs is on THE QUARTERBACK. But let's just see how he does this week to give all the blind fans more hope!
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by NinerFaithful:
We need to bring back Jeff Garica, even at his age he's better than all our QB combined.He has valuable experience and a former pro-bowler, he can take the reins until next years draft or until Davis or Smith mature.

that's what you got out of that article? how bizarre.

it tells me a lot about sing that, he has no clue about Offenses, cuz he said that Garcia not much of unupgrade from hill. Then again i don't think Tom Brady will not do well behind our OL.
Ray is the problem and the OL , Hill will give less cuz of his arm. he had a weak arm last year, hill won with his weak ass arm last year , this year but not with this week ass play calling and OL.

I understand the argument...but ask Rodgers about playing behind a garbage Oline....He's still winning games and putting up good numbers...or ask Rothlisberger about Garbage Olines...oh yeah he won the superbowl despite the poor play upfront. I undestand it takes the whole unit in order to be successful but...good QB's can make plays despite the obstacles...face it Hill does not fit in that category....

Preach on brotha. I say the exact same thing, and i'm including stats. i wanna put that bad o-line all their fault excuse to rest right now, by showing qb's with the most sacks, their record, and their td, and yards;

Top leaders in Sacks which means horrible o-lines, like our fans say, so i'm using our own reasons that it's all the o-line to see if any other teams are being productive while gettin sacked all the time.

1. Rodgers: 25 sacks, 8tds, 1456 yards, 291.2yds game., rating, 104.1, record 3-2
2. Big Ben : 16 sacks, 10tds, 1887yds, 314.5yds game, rating 104.5, record 4-2
3. Shaun Hill: 16 sacks, 5tds, 898 yards, 179.6yds game, rating 80.7, record 3-2

Now i used Roth and Rodgers, because they are all on teams with horrible o-lines, and are winning teams just like us. The proof is in the numbers, depite the hurries out the pocket, despite protection breaking down. Big Ben led the league in getting sacked last year with 46, but hmmmm, didnt they win the superbowl. I'm just saying lets stop with all the o-line excuses. and it's all the 0line.

yes hill has produced as i will continue to say, but i dont think he's done enough for our team to be successful. Good QB's make the throws and the plays even when the line breaks down, as you can see above.

on top of both of them having better, faster WRs that can stretch the field.....I think when looking at stats like these....I think to be fair, you also have to look at the # of attempts......so

With Martz last year, he had our offense attacking the defense through passes at any down.......this year it seems we only use the pass if couldn't get the first down, after running it 2 straight times.......then we try to pass more (as far as attacking) when we are behind in the game.

I wouldn't mind if we were less predictable on offense....I think this also would help the Oline against blitzers and pass rushers......and the Oline can use all the help it can get.

You know what Brotha Afrikan, your right, about the number of attempts. But riddle me this, if we didnt lead the league in 3 and outs, wouldn't those numbers be different. A sustained drive is probably why they have all those stats. So why i agree with you on the attempts, it really doesnt hold too much merit in my opinion and fact that there are other teams who's line is worse then ours and they can still produce.

And with the WR's. I'm lost too. Not saying it's just you, but ver the years this is the one area that at the beginning of the year most was saying was strong as hell. When Bruce caught more than 3 passes, he's gettin it done. When Morgan got a TD, he's gonna be sumthin. Now all of a sudden, the WR group according to some it just as bad as in 05 and 06, which regardless it's much better than any group we've had in the past 5 years. So i mean damn, everytime someone falters it's like they go out there way to point the finger at everyone else, except where it should be pointed.

But i mean dont you see what i mean. Before this season, Hill's the man, he can get it done, put up great numbers, best WR group we've had in a while. Then after a few losses, NOW all the people that were riding the wave now, are the same one's saying we have a bad WR group, is our running game that good, now questioning if Hill is really as good as the picture painted. Even with him, he said himself he loved the Raye offense because it was so simple, and that his job is to score TD's period. Dont care about sustained drives, big yardage, his job is to score TD's. And lets be real, he hasnt lived up to what he said his basic job to do is, so then it's that failing at least a little.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Well, those numbers are skewed. Of course they have more attempts, they complete more passes and more of them go for 1st downs. You can't really attempt all that many passes when you're going 3 and out over and over again, can you?

Yeah, of course Shaun is going to have less attempts if he has more 3 and outs. They get to pass the ball more because they keep drives alive. And the Packers are going to continue to let Rodgers pass the ball behind a bad OL, because he's proven he can get the ball to the WRs whether he has time or not. There will be times where he gets sacked and doesn't get the chance but there are going to be times where he gets protection and there's a wide open guy down the field and that is probably going for a big play, even if it's just once or twice per game. Shaun has gotten good protection a few times and when he does he doesn't make the most of it, or make anything of it. That's the difference behind a bad OL, is when Rodgers is given an opportunity he makes the play. When Shaun is, he doesn't.
Alex Smith sucks
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
I hope the Atlanta game was a fluke or bad preparation and we will see a much improved offense against the Texans, but, if it looks as bad as the ATL game, which could happen if Houston decides to show a similar look as ATL and we don't adjust, then some big changes are needed.

I put most of the ATL game on Raye. Those were some terrible passing calls. And when he did call some routes that played to the strengths of our wideouts, we got good gains on them. We won't make the playoffs if our offense stays ranked where it is.
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
Alex Smith sucks

Not as bad as the pie thrower.
We struggle with man coverage blitzing defenses. Shaun Hill scares no one, until that changes, if we don't run defenses won't change the way they play us.
Alex Smith sucks

But he swallows too. Shouldn't he get for that ?

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Alex Smith sucks

Not as bad as the pie thrower.

Or as bad as some of the posters here.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
For what's it's worth, Singletary said this on KNBR this AM:

"Shaun Hill is Mr.Consistent, he is a winner"

He further added, & no surprise here, that the OLINE needs to give him more time.

I highly doubt if there will be any changes at the QB position after those stmts...at least near term.

He consistently sucks.

Singletary is a good coach, but he's way too hard-willed with the QB. I never see him talk down to Hill like he does to everyone else, guess it's everyone else's fault and never Hills.

its funny you say that Method....

I remember last year after having a good start after taking of the starting QB job...Hill was 3-3 with a couple of close loses...and played through those series of games with some of the best QB this team had seen in a while.....but on his 7th game against the Rams, Singletary was ready Bench him...as well as Choke him (as he said).

what does that tell you.....if Hill is really holding this team back, Singletary will put someone else in there who will perform....

its funny but I believe most of the Singletary hate here at the zone comes from the Pro Alex squad who hate the fact that Sing won't let Alex pway.

Dude don't act like an 8 year old... oh hold up I know 8 year olds that act more mature than that garbage Af. You're better than that so please can we act like it? Thanks.

If you can't see why people are not enamored with Sing at the moment then you need to put down the Kool-Aid. Since when did we have to adhere to your rules of conduct regarding anyone. I sincerely doubt that you even do. Given your immense dislike for both Nolan and Smith. It even shows in how you attack the character of those who dare question the moves that Sing has made over the last few weeks. Though I believe that Sheets was not one of those for which he's to blame. That's entirely on McCloughan.

~Ceadder

no, I've switched up for specific posters.....ones who unfortunately act like "8 year olds" with some of their posts.......which includes you Ceadder.
.I was kool with it for a WHILE, but if the Mods can't do anything about the constant trolling.....because of the forum rules....I'll join in on the fun....

when ever yall are ready to be respectful about our players, I'll join the party, regarding certain posters......till then cry on.

Quote:
It even shows in how you attack the character of those who dare question the moves that Sing has made over the last few weeks.

ummm...want to remind me....the last time I questioned someones character was BackonTop, when he called Shaun Hill a slacker.

we have this thing over there at MMA forum Sherdog regarding "fighter bashing" there is nothing wrong with criticizing someone's play....be it MMA or Football or what ever....but then there is obvious trolling and player bashing that can ruin legit threads..... and since there is no ignore function here....yet.....I believe that type of forum rule would a benefit for NinerTalk part of the Zone.

and believe me Alex,....umm. I mean Ceaderr, if "Alex" is staring in a couple of weeks for what ever reason...you are going to want this type of Forum rule around....and that is an understatement.

That's funny how you called someone else out for acting like an 8 year old, then proceeded to become one yourself. Most of us are grown men here, and just because you do not agree with what others opinions are, is no excuse to start calling others character into question. Before you start pointing fingers, it is always good to take a good long look at yourself.
Quote:
The real question then becomes: How long can they keep winning without making plays down the field? No team is worried that Shaun Hill’s passing is going to beat them; the key to beating the 49ers is forcing them to throw, taking away their run game. I’m reminded of a conversation I had a few weeks ago with Phil Simms about quarterbacks. We were talking about making big plays in the passing game and the only way that teams will respect the long ball is based on the quarterback, not the wideouts. His belief, which I agree with completely, is that no matter how talented the wide receivers, it’s the quarterback’s ability to throw accurately down the field that’s the key to a successful passing game. Hill is 4 of 22 for 144 yards when he throws the ball more than 20 yards. He has one long pass for 50 and another for 39. So if you’re the Texans, are you going to worry about Crabtree being in the game?

Diner morning news: 49ers need a passing fix

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-49ers-need-a-passing-fix.html#
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Quote:
The real question then becomes: How long can they keep winning without making plays down the field? No team is worried that Shaun Hill’s passing is going to beat them; the key to beating the 49ers is forcing them to throw, taking away their run game. I’m reminded of a conversation I had a few weeks ago with Phil Simms about quarterbacks. We were talking about making big plays in the passing game and the only way that teams will respect the long ball is based on the quarterback, not the wideouts. His belief, which I agree with completely, is that no matter how talented the wide receivers, it’s the quarterback’s ability to throw accurately down the field that’s the key to a successful passing game. Hill is 4 of 22 for 144 yards when he throws the ball more than 20 yards. He has one long pass for 50 and another for 39. So if you’re the Texans, are you going to worry about Crabtree being in the game?

Diner morning news: 49ers need a passing fix

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-49ers-need-a-passing-fix.html#

You are gonna make the "Hill is a great QB" guys butts hurt. By the way, for you mathematically challenged folks...4 of 22 is 18%.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
For what's it's worth, Singletary said this on KNBR this AM:

"Shaun Hill is Mr.Consistent, he is a winner"

He further added, & no surprise here, that the OLINE needs to give him more time.

I highly doubt if there will be any changes at the QB position after those stmts...at least near term.

He consistently sucks.

Singletary is a good coach, but he's way too hard-willed with the QB. I never see him talk down to Hill like he does to everyone else, guess it's everyone else's fault and never Hills.

its funny you say that Method....

I remember last year after having a good start after taking of the starting QB job...Hill was 3-3 with a couple of close loses...and played through those series of games with some of the best QB this team had seen in a while.....but on his 7th game against the Rams, Singletary was ready Bench him...as well as Choke him (as he said).

what does that tell you.....if Hill is really holding this team back, Singletary will put someone else in there who will perform....

its funny but I believe most of the Singletary hate here at the zone comes from the Pro Alex squad who hate the fact that Sing won't let Alex pway.

Dude don't act like an 8 year old... oh hold up I know 8 year olds that act more mature than that garbage Af. You're better than that so please can we act like it? Thanks.

If you can't see why people are not enamored with Sing at the moment then you need to put down the Kool-Aid. Since when did we have to adhere to your rules of conduct regarding anyone. I sincerely doubt that you even do. Given your immense dislike for both Nolan and Smith. It even shows in how you attack the character of those who dare question the moves that Sing has made over the last few weeks. Though I believe that Sheets was not one of those for which he's to blame. That's entirely on McCloughan.

~Ceadder

no, I've switched up for specific posters.....ones who unfortunately act like "8 year olds" with some of their posts.......which includes you Ceadder.
.I was kool with it for a WHILE, but if the Mods can't do anything about the constant trolling.....because of the forum rules....I'll join in on the fun....

when ever yall are ready to be respectful about our players, I'll join the party, regarding certain posters......till then cry on.

Quote:
It even shows in how you attack the character of those who dare question the moves that Sing has made over the last few weeks.

ummm...want to remind me....the last time I questioned someones character was BackonTop, when he called Shaun Hill a slacker.

we have this thing over there at MMA forum Sherdog regarding "fighter bashing" there is nothing wrong with criticizing someone's play....be it MMA or Football or what ever....but then there is obvious trolling and player bashing that can ruin legit threads..... and since there is no ignore function here....yet.....I believe that type of forum rule would a benefit for NinerTalk part of the Zone.

and believe me Alex,....umm. I mean Ceaderr, if "Alex" is staring in a couple of weeks for what ever reason...you are going to want this type of Forum rule around....and that is an understatement.

That's funny how you called someone else out for acting like an 8 year old, then proceeded to become one yourself. Most of us are grown men here, and just because you do not agree with what others opinions are, is no excuse to start calling others character into question. Before you start pointing fingers, it is always good to take a good long look at yourself.

I respect other posters here who act with class.... you on the other hand....as well as with 6-10 other posters who resort to calling names...making up lies and other BS....just because the QB you want to start, isn't..... F'That...I'll join the immature party....well, at least when it involves responding to some of you.....don't take it personal....just roll with it.

Quote:
Most of us are grown men here

Quote:
just because you do not agree with what others opinions are, is no excuse to start calling others character into question.

I have NO problems with others opinions, even it is different than mine....hell I welcome it.... I have a problem with Immature Trolling and player bashing....and since I can't use an ignore function....I'll just join the party like I said.

Quote:
Before you start pointing fingers, it is always good to take a good long look at yourself.
coming from you, what a joke.

so one more time...

we have this thing over there at MMA forum Sherdog regarding "fighter bashing" there is nothing wrong with criticizing someone's play....be it MMA or Football or what ever....but then there is obvious trolling and player bashing that can ruin legit threads..... and since there is no ignore function here....yet.....I believe that type of forum rule would be a benefit for NinerTalk part of the Zone.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone