LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 307 users in the forums

Shaun Hill, 1st downs, playoffs-article

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Last week, being blown out by the fourth quarter, was the perfect opportunity to pull a struggling Shawn Hill, and replace him with Smith. His confidence was shot, and it was written all over his face. You make this change to save your starter from humiliation, as well as get the second QB some reps, so we know what to expect. It been a long time since Alex played, lets see if he can score, Hill was dead out there. The game was over! Until Smith shows us what we expect from him, I am skeptical too. But you never know until you get him out there. Singletary seems to have the same stubborness as Mike Nolan in this area. Why did it take this long to make O-line changes?
[ Edited by TheCatch on Oct 18, 2009 at 7:34 AM ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
I agree with you Memphis 100%. I got Hill's back but he's losing my confidence

That is about where I stand... confidence is rapidly dwindling, and it could possibly be due to a comfort level. Might he regain the confidence he had last year? nobody knows...
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
well i just like the article itself because Tim K, used to rip into smith back in the day, and he's finally not being biased and writing bout the facts of Hill behind center with stats.

HOw can anyone read this article, and not feel that Hill is at least some of the blame for the failing offense. Just like tim said, when he does have time to throw, and thats what concerns me. when he does have time and the ol allows him, the decisions that he makes.

Hey brother Afrikan, or JoeCool, that i havent heard from in a while. You two guys look at this article with some stats, and let me know if HIll doesnt deserve almost just as much to blame in a failing offense than the OL

The whole offense deserves blame. The interesting thing about the article is he states all the bad stats yet still feels Hill is the best QB on the team. It shows he really has no respect for the guys behind Hill. Bottom line is Hill is still the starter on this team. If he begins turning the ball over via fumbles and interceptions, I would expect a change. If he continues to play like he has, I don't think there will be a change.

Of course the whole offense deserves blame, but i have to ask you brotha. Forget about Davis or smith for a second. Lets just look at HIll. So far in the wins and losses category we know some things now. So far THIS SEASON, we are 3-2. His undefeated home game skid is over, and so far, he has not produced greatly in the two losses, really in the wins for that matter, had it not been for the running game. I say there will be a QB change if and i mean if 2 of these things happen.

1. In my opinion, if we lose 2 out of the next 3 games, and he doesnt at least go for over 250 +yds, or more than 2TD's in each of these games through the air, then he will be benched. I say that only because it would have proved one thing. That HIll is only successful against failing teams with losing records.

2. For this reason talked about by Matt M, and Cossell of NFL films who Matt stated has tons of credibility;

Matt M: On the other side of the ball, the 49ers have some problems, don't they?

Cosell: "The one thing fans might not realize is that coaches know exactly what their players can and can't do. If a team gets down, like the Niners, and they can't throw to get back in the game and fans go, 'Oh, my, they can't throw!' Well, the 49ers know that, too. They can't play in those kinds of games. They can't win those kinds of games. They have to play in games where their defense keeps the game close, so their offense can run the ball. I think (Shaun) Hill has had some nice moments this year. I thought his (fourth-quarter) drive against Arizona Week 1 was very, very good. I have some problems with the way Arizona chose to play defense on that drive, but you still have to make the throws. Same with Minnesota. I thought Hill made some very good throws. I thought Minnesota had some problems with playing their coverages and the responsibilities within those coverages, but you still have to make the throws. But at the end of the day, Hill is not going to be a guy who's going to consistently drop back and make throw after throw after throw to either keep you in games or win games."

The bolded part stood out in my mind, because Hill has definitely produced, but has it been enough for our team.

Probably not. But Singletary runs this team which means turnovers are more important to him than QB stats.

But wins are more important than turnovers...
Hmm, let's see, Hill was solid in the league on 3rd down percentage and overall QBing under Martz, who called the deeper passes but now he can't convert a 3rd down?

I wonder if the OC has anything to do with it because whenever Hill has been let loose with decent time, he's produced, even this year.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Last week, being blown out by the fourth quarter, was the perfect opportunity to pull a struggling Shawn Hill,
and replace him with Smith. His confidence was shot, and it was written all over his face. You make this change to save your starter from humiliation, as well as get the second QB some reps, so we know what to expect. It been a long time since Alex played, lets see if he can score, Hill was dead out there. The game was over! Until Smith shows us what we expect from him, I am skeptical too. But you never know until you get him out there. Singletary seems to have the same stubborness as Mike Nolan in this area. Why did it take this long to make O-line changes?

Agreed, but I would have put in Davis. We know what we have in Hill & Smith. Also putting in Smith would have created a QB controversy, and Hill did win the job. I think this team won't even limp into the play-offs, I think it is a good time to see if Davis has a future, and give him mop up duties.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Hmm, let's see, Hill was solid in the league on 3rd down percentage and overall QBing under Martz, who called the deeper passes but now he can't convert a 3rd down?

I wonder if the OC has anything to do with it because whenever Hill has been let loose with decent time, he's produced, even this year.

The most important words in that sentence are with decent time!!
None of us here were under the illusion that Hill was the future--at best, he was a one year or two year stop-gap. The conundrum we are in is this: We are a competitive team that has a legitimate shot at making the playoffs. Other than two drives (3 if you count against Seattle), Hill hasn't really done anything that great. Most of his play has been ho-hum and his physical skills appear lackluster. We have a former number one pick who hasn't played in two years and a developmental QB that looked very good in the preseason. Pulling Hill in favor of either QB would probably mean the end of our playoff hopes. At the same time, Hill won't win us any games. With two upcoming number ones and a strong QB class in this draft, it becomes even more important that we know what we have at QB. With this offense we're running, I do believe that Smith and even Davis could perform just as well, if not better, than Hill. Teams play an entirely different defensive scheme against us specifically because of our QBs liabilities.

The problem is that, with Sing as our coach and his conservative mindset, Smith won't come into the game unless Hill is hurt or pulling a JTO. Davis, for that matter, will never see the field. So, heading into the off-season, we'll be back at square one.
Originally posted by Joecool:

smells like a hillxuse to me===didnt hill say this offense was more suited to his "talents" earlier this year (msybe he was buttering jimmy raye up)
  • B650
  • Veteran
I would just like to point out that Tom Brady had more TDs this year than Shaun Hill. In one quarter.

That is all.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by B650:
I would just like to point out that Tom Brady had more TDs this year than Shaun Hill. In one quarter.

That is all.

And I would just like to add Shaun Hill had more passing yards against Atlanta than Eli Manning did today.

That is all.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

That is all.

And I would just like to add Shaun Hill had more passing yards against Atlanta than Eli Manning did today.

That is all.

Eli Manning played the Saints today and I'm pretty sure he still has plantar fasciitis...
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

That is all.

That is all.

But Eli Manning is having a good season. He's allowed one bad game. Hill has had, let's see...I'll give him 4 bad games, and one decent game (Arizona). Even then, Hill pretty much is having a mediocre year so far, besides the 2 drives he had (Arizona and Minnesota). Nothing personal with Shaun Hill. I like the guy. I want him to win. I think he's a gamer. I just wish he had Alex's right arm.

I'll try to remain positive, but after what Shaub did to Cincinnati yesterday, I'm going to have a hard time doing that.
"He’s smart, he’s unflappable, he has a nice feel for the game, he’s tough, and he’s a leader. He mostly fits what Mike Singletary wants in a QB, and that’s good. He’s probably the 49ers’ best QB.

But Hill has sub-par arm strength, so when defenses take away the short stuff–and when the short stuff isn’t designed well–he can be a very blah, very beatable QB, especially if you get a passrush on him, mess up the quick timing, and move his feet."

This EXACTLY describes Shaun Hill and our current offensive predictament. I think Shaun IS the best QB on our roster, but so long as the offensive line is as porous as a sieve and our playcalling is bland and predictable, he (or anyone playing QB for us) is gonna look outright horrible...

Shanghai'D
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I've taken ALOT of heat for saying the exact same things that Kawakami is saying. It's all good. I never expect people to listen. Would be nice but not expected.

Though of course I couldn't provide the satistical analysis that TK did.

Hmmmm disregard this post since it could be deemed patting myself on the back.

~Ceadder

I think it's your delivery man. Sometimes you and MD can sound a like. JMO

Yeah I know that I have to work on my tact, but well I'm a no nonsense kinda guy. I take no prisoners.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Wow that's more stark than i thought it was.

There's no hiding that Hill's play has tremendously dipped since last year.

I'm getting more and more inclined to drafting another franchise QB.

-9fA

Can we try Smith and see what we have in Davis before we do that?

If the offense doesn't imporve, I think this is what Singletary needs to do. Try Smith, and if that doesn't work see what Davis can do. At least then the Niners will have a feel for what needs to be done before next season.

No way don't try Smith he suck just put Davis in and see what he does n see if we need to draft a Qb next season. Smith needs to b traded or released after this year along with Hill!

I see, so your answer is just to completely disregard the depth chart and go right for door number 3. Damn good thing that this ain't Madden 1 million and you ain't the HC of the 9ers.

Don't get mad I'm just sayin is all.

~Ceadder

Unfortunately you don't realize that smith ain't worth a dam and our best qb in the depth chart is Davis ur just as senile as Al Davis it's incredible. I don't play madden don't waste my time in playing games. Then u wonder y we have sucked since 2002 with the Qb's we have had lol be realistic smith is done as a 49er!

Don't get mad I'm just sayin how it is!

Touche on the Madden thing. But if Smith was done as a 9er he wouldn't still be on the team. And no I haven't wondered anything. I know why this team has sucked. And it's not all on the QB.

But I digress, if I went into all the reasons why this team sucked it up over the last 7 years, you'd start sobbing uncontrollably short out your computer and possibly electrocute yourself if you weren't running a decent surge protector. I wouldn't and couldn't afford to have your death on my conscience.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone