LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 139 users in the forums

We lead the league in 3 & outs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Mex49:
Are you surprised?
We are a power running team that drafted a WR and LB that won't start for 2-3 years

they wish they were a power running team. Right now they are in the middle of the pack, ranking 16th at total rushing.
Leave it to the 49ers to hire two offensive coordinators that are far below this game.

One would think we learned our lesson with Hostler.

A simple offensive requires one very key immeasurable ingredient: an OC who is great at gameday play calling.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Are you surprised?
We are a power running team that drafted a WR and LB that won't start for 2-3 years

they wish they were a power running team. Right now they are in the middle of the pack, ranking 16th at total rushing.

at least we lead the league in something!
We lead the league in dead ducks...

Originally posted by Joecool:
Leave it to the 49ers to hire two offensive coordinators that are far below this game.

A simple offensive requires one very key immeasurable ingredient: an OC who is great at gameday play calling.

I'm not really convinced that different play calling would really benefit us much given our current personnel.

We have an Oline that doesn't excel at pass blocking and a QB who doesn't excel at throwing the ball down the field. Our best playmakers are our RB and TE. On top of that, the strength of our team is our defense.

Given all of those things, I think the team has decided that playing to our strengths means relying on the defense and not allowing the weaknesses of the offense to drag us down. When Raye calls plays that rely on the running backs and keeps alot of protection in on passing plays, he's covering for the lack of talent we have at the QB spot and the lack of production we have from our Oline.

The alternative is to try to open it up more, ask our Oline to block better and our QB to make plays down the field - the result will probably be a significant increase in turnovers.

We've won the games that we've won by NOT turning the ball over and by playing good defense. It's not likely to win us a superbowl, but neither is our current starting offense.

If we had better offensive personnel out there and we were still running these same plays, then I'd be upset. But until we get better on the offensive side of the ball - I think the play calling fits as our best chance at the most wins.
Are you surprised?

ouch.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Are you surprised?

ouch.

-9fA

Take out Gore's two big runs and we are near the bottom.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

Captain Wounded Duck, we salute you.
If possible, I wonder if Shaun is willing to swap out his throwing arm witn Nate Davis

Originally posted by wadjay:

I'm not really convinced that different play calling would really benefit us much given our current personnel.

We have an Oline that doesn't excel at pass blocking and a QB who doesn't excel at throwing the ball down the field. Our best playmakers are our RB and TE. On top of that, the strength of our team is our defense.

Given all of those things, I think the team has decided that playing to our strengths means relying on the defense and not allowing the weaknesses of the offense to drag us down. When Raye calls plays that rely on the running backs and keeps alot of protection in on passing plays, he's covering for the lack of talent we have at the QB spot and the lack of production we have from our Oline.

The alternative is to try to open it up more, ask our Oline to block better and our QB to make plays down the field - the result will probably be a significant increase in turnovers.

We've won the games that we've won by NOT turning the ball over and by playing good defense. It's not likely to win us a superbowl, but neither is our current starting offense.

If we had better offensive personnel out there and we were still running these same plays, then I'd be upset. But until we get better on the offensive side of the ball - I think the play calling fits as our best chance at the most wins.

Pretty much sums it up right there, good post.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Not the least bit of surprising news.
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

Captain Wounded Duck, we salute you.

• Nyner
Originally posted by Thrash88:
The problem is the offensive line on first and second down don't get any push on our obvious running plays so it's always third and long and Hill can't throw a hard spiral any more then 10 yards down the field so it's not really hard to stop our third downs. They all zone the linebackers bring up the safeties to protect the middle of the field and force Hill to throw a tight spiral to beat them 10+ yards down the field which he CANT CANT CANT CANT do. People who keep saying Hill isn't the problem watch other games around the NFL. Did you watch the Packers play the Vikings where Rodgers was sacked about 9 times? He has less time to throw then Hill does yet he still goes down the field and finds receivers and was IN the game but their defense sucked so they lost. HILL IS THE PROBLEM OPEN YOUR EYES!

I think we could be in a Hostler situation. Remember, Hostler was the QB coach under Norv and we were going to use the Norv type offense that year and because he sucked at game planning and his playbook was simple, Hostler also had trouble designing viable plays to get WRs involved. It seems that we are getting another Norv Turner downgrade in Raye. The year with Hoss, linemen didn't know what they were doing as it is happening now.

Bingo........funny how so many are blaming the offensive personnel. Bring back Norv and watch these same players lite it up. Couldn't agree with you more. A few of us have been afraid this was going to happen since the hiring of Raye.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
Gore is very good at catching passes out of the backfield. Now that Hill is in sync with Vernon, with Frank back, the 3rd down outlook brightens tremendously. The O line won't be on its heels so much and should protect better.

We haven't even started playing our wide receivers yet. Even working Battle in more on third down would help.

Then---when Crabtree is in there, we have some weapons. Gore, Davis, and Crabtree can all take plays designed for medium yardage all the way to the house! Look out Colts!
Share 49ersWebzone