There are 388 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why are so many fans accepting of the "we were not prepared" excuse

It always bewilders me how often coaches use that term and it gets regurgitated by media and fans

Not Prepared? BULLs**t. Preparing is exactly what you did all week long. I mean its not like Coach went off on vacation and a bunch of players called in sick.

Its like, if I challenged Pacquiao to a fight, and trained my ass off for 3 months, got the worlds best trainers and a highly qualifed corner. Then ding ding, I am knocked out in 15 seconds.....would you accept that I lost because I was not prepared??

I like Sing and everything but I have always thought this is a lame excuse. The Niners WERE prepared, they tried their best and lost

[ Edited by danimal on Oct 13, 2009 at 14:14:20 ]
Did you watch the game... They were not prepared...
I think the Niners got carried away & too confident, on top of that the Falcons came off a bye week and were EXTREMELY prepared for us and made us look like fools. I'm confident this taught the team a lesson

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 13, 2009 at 14:23:42 ]
  • kem99
  • Veteran
It is pretty clear that the 49ers were not prepared to play. Did the coaches prepare a gameplan they thought was a good gameplan? I'm sure they thought so. Did the players work hard during the week? I'm sure they did or at least thought they did. Did they come out flat? No question. Did they not react well when it started to unravel? Absolutely.

The truth is no team in the NFL is 35 points better than any other team in the NFL and the Falcons on the road are certainly are not 35 points better than the 49ers at home. That's why the "we were not prepared" explanation has some merit. You only have to watch the 49ers prior 4 games to know that they did not "try their best" against Atlanta. If that was their best, you would have seen it against the Vikings as well and the game would not have come down to the last play. It would have been worse than last Sunday.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

I concur....Our D is too good to be spanked around like that, we were unprepared.
Originally posted by sizzle86:

I concur....Our D is too good to be spanked around like that, we were unprepared.

And that falls on the coaching. Bad coaches bad!
What else can we do? Demand answers?
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

no but you don't have to repeat the nonsense, look at all these responses
They were prepared for an @ss whoopin! lol
Originally posted by danimal:

Everyone is saying they were not prepared

pre⋅pared  /prɪˈpɛərd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pri-paird] Show IPA
Use prepared in a Sentence
See web results for prepared
See images of prepared
–adjective 1. properly expectant, organized, or equipped; ready:

Again, I am just not sure "prepared" is the right word sports fans should be using.

Properly expectant? They seemed to know what time the game started and where it would be played

organized? How come Joe Staley was not playing QB and Battle at Center? Hmm, they seemed organized.

Equipped? Refs seemed to be ok with the gear they had on

Ready? They looked purposeful to me as the game began...I am pretty sure they practiced all week.

So here is a question......what decides when you were just beaten, or you failed versus not being prepared???? Can anyone answer this?

I did not study for a test and failed. I was not prepared
I did study for a test and failed. I was prepared but just was not a match. I suppose I could say in this situation I was not prepared just to make myself feel better about the next test I take
They showed no heart, and were outcoached. There's really nothing more to say.
Originally posted by danimal:

Everyone is saying they were not prepared

that is my point. He is questioning the title of the post....the term "accepting", and his point is valid, ultimately the fans don't really get to accept or reject...so my counter was that though we can't reject the excuse in any consequential sense we certainly don't have to repeat....like everyone is doing now
We have accepted medicrity. Like Shaun Hill starting QB. People are ok with it.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We have accepted medicrity. Like Shaun Hill starting QB. People are ok with it.

We have no one else, do you think if we had a McNabb or Eli on the roster Hill would be starting?