There are 196 users in the forums

What changes should be made during the bye

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What changes should be made during the bye

The offense is ineffective, stagnant, unimaginative, predictable, and worst of all boring. Something needs to change.

I would start with the QB. We have seen enough of Hill to know that he is nothing more than a 3rd stringer who rode a hot hand to limited success. Smith should be the starter. His arm strength can open up the field.

Put Bruce on the bench. He is looking old and slow. Starrting WR's should be Crabtree and Morgan/Jones.

Activate Sheets from the PS. Since we have no speed whatsoever on the KR, it's time to call on Sheets. He can also add a little spice on 3rd down, just don't ask him to block.

Start Wragge. I am not sure who is worse, Baas or Rachal.. Put one of them on the bench.

Now that, is a lot of change to implement during the bye week, hopefully Jimmy Raye can stay awake long enough to get it done.
People are complaining about the offensive line and rightfully so. But atleast we have depth with people that we can plug in, the BIG problem is strong safety is Lewis can't go for the rest of the year we are stuck with....ROMAN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHh I pray that we can put Smith back there with Goldson and hopefully we make it through the year but it's quite obvious we have weaknesses on both sides of the ball. Offensively we need offensive lineman BAD and a qb in the near future, on defense we need defensive backs BAD.
The O-Line has been the week spot for 5 games now. Somethings got to change... I say mix up the line.
Dang...ppl are given up on the OC already? Its his first year FCOL. You guys are way too impatient. I say fire the OL coach. His history shows that he cant create a run blocking line. And the pass protection is horrible. The talent is there but for some reason they still dont get it. Is it the coach or the players....thats the question? I think its the OL coach.
I never really thought of it but Sheets as a KR/PR sounds like an idea we should try for sure. Walker is good and all but hes a TE returning kicks thats wrong. Battle isn't a threat on punts either lets be honest we need some electricity on those returns!
Be PREPARED!

And listen to your quarterbacks who seem to be more diligent than the coaches!
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
The offense is ineffective, stagnant, unimaginative, predictable, and worst of all boring. Something needs to change.

I would start with the QB. We have seen enough of Hill to know that he is nothing more than a 3rd stringer who rode a hot hand to limited success. Smith should be the starter. His arm strength can open up the field.

Put Bruce on the bench. He is looking old and slow. Starrting WR's should be Crabtree and Morgan/Jones.

Activate Sheets from the PS. Since we have no speed whatsoever on the KR, it's time to call on Sheets. He can also add a little spice on 3rd down, just don't ask him to block.

Start Wragge. I am not sure who is worse, Baas or Rachal.. Put one of them on the bench.

Now that, is a lot of change to implement during the bye week, hopefully Jimmy Raye can stay awake long enough to get it done.

Good ideas, what are the odds they implement a single one, I'm not confident they can face up to their own personnel missteps.The offense is like some plodding slow dinosaur meanwhile the rest of the league is playing some high speed version of the same game. painful
I would thank Sing for his service and then send him on his way. There is no way I would allow either the Cowboys or Redskins to beat me in signing Shanahan. We need an actual football coach. Get Shanahan in here right now.

If they do not want to can Sing during the season, then bring Shanahan on as a paid consultant to oversee the operations. This will give Sing the hint, possibly causing him to resign, saving us the remaining three years of his contract, and landing us a guy that can actually game plan for an NFL game.
cut kory sheets
Be gentle now for the New Guy... Long time 9er fan had my fires season tickets in 69 and a fan many years before that, so that being said...As I see it, the problem is that the opposing teams just don't respect out offense. Can't really run and Can't pass, we have become to predictable, to simple and unimaginative. I would like to see after the bye Jason Hill and Jones start and work Crabtree into the slot, we need some speed and we need it fast.... Bruce has just lost the ability to get separation and Morgan is overrated giving us no down field threat. I for one really don't want to see a team that goes 3 and out 5-6 times a game. We may not have a good run or passing game but we sure have a poor offensive line.

Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by sden49:
This o-line is terrible. Game plan all you want it doesn't matter. Until the o-line is fixed it doesn't matter who the qb, running back or wide recievers are. Bad o-line = bad offence.

For all my rants against Hill and how completely void of talent or anything resembling an NFL QB he is , not he or anyone else can do much with the way the O line is going right now. You would have thought by now the O line would be something. At some point pretty soon it's either the O line is just no good as a group, or the individual guys suck , or the O line coach has his head up his A... maybe all of the above

I believe part of the terrible O-line play is because of Hill's weak arm. All teams do is stack the box, looking for a 10 yard INT. If Hill had a cannon, they would respect that, and play back a little for some breathing room. Our O is shut down way too easily, and the secret is out. If they blitz, Hill cant get the ball to the receiver left open.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Try and see if they can get Hill a new right arm from Ebay.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
It is very obvious that we can not continue to stay the course on Offense. Something has to change - big-time. Look, I like Hill, but he just can't make the throws that need to made for this team to compete. Coffee is NOT ready to be a starter. The O-line... Special teams on returns - suck. We have to have the slowest return game in the league.

Sing has to make some tough choices in the next couple of weeks. JHO

All of our offensive problems stem from a crap O-line, don't even tell me Hill can't make the throws when the o-line gives him 1.5 seconds before a defender is in his face.
Originally posted by singfan:
I would thank Sing for his service and then send him on his way. There is no way I would allow either the Cowboys or Redskins to beat me in signing Shanahan. We need an actual football coach. Get Shanahan in here right now.

If they do not want to can Sing during the season, then bring Shanahan on as a paid consultant to oversee the operations. This will give Sing the hint, possibly causing him to resign, saving us the remaining three years of his contract, and landing us a guy that can actually game plan for an NFL game.

Seriously!

Lick somewhere else please.

This is a thread about changes during the bye week, realistic ones. No one is going to fire Singletary. Again, trying to derail a thread to promote Shanny...just sad.

The fact is our OL was atrochious especially at RG and RT. Our OL are missing assignments, whiffing on blocks, and not FINISHING!!!! Hill is NOT the problems as much as I want Alex to have a try. Cool Joe would have sent for Woodstock in that game...you can see it in the replays. This week formal changes will be made to the line and then next week a full practice with the new line up.

[ Edited by ninertico on Oct 13, 2009 at 08:38:36 ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
It is very obvious that we can not continue to stay the course on Offense. Something has to change - big-time. Look, I like Hill, but he just can't make the throws that need to made for this team to compete. Coffee is NOT ready to be a starter. The O-line... Special teams on returns - suck. We have to have the slowest return game in the league.

Sing has to make some tough choices in the next couple of weeks. JHO

All of our offensive problems stem from a crap O-line, don't even tell me Hill can't make the throws when the o-line gives him 1.5 seconds before a defender is in his face.
You know why teams just load the box and blitz us? It is because no team fears Hill, they dont think he can make NFL throws, so they play the run and blitz every down. If hill throws deep, they feel the ball will be in the air long enough ti give the DB time to get in position.
Share 49ersWebzone