LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Mike Nolan Built this Team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:

........nuff said!

ummm that was MArtz's guy not Nolan
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Mike Nolan gathered the Legos. Sing made them into something.

lol that's the perfect analogy.

-9fA
Originally posted by RonMexico:
and?

Nolan can built the team all he wants but if he can't coach it...whats the point?
Originally posted by crzy:
Like father like son

Dick Nolan ----> Bill Walsh

Mike Nolan -----> Mike Singletary

Ouch. What a legacy that would be.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by ramanz16:
He also brought us Jennings.

/thread

AND.........................TBC!

The very same TBC who is now back and contributing in NE for 6 sacks.

You think that it might have had something to do with not having a TRUE edge Rusher like Smith in the Line and plugging him into a hybrid 3-4 that was not complete enough to RUN a hybrid 3-4 on a consistent basis? Yeah I'm thinkin so.

I'm not saying that TBC is a stud, but for some reason Bellichick seems to get the most out of him. Maybe they are using practice film again or something?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by RonMexico:
and?

...and stayed one year too long. Once he left the team, everyone lived happily ever after.

The end.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

/thread

You think that it might have had something to do with not having a TRUE edge Rusher like Smith in the Line and plugging him into a hybrid 3-4 that was not complete enough to RUN a hybrid 3-4 on a consistent basis? Yeah I'm thinkin so.

I'm not saying that TBC is a stud, but for some reason Bellichick seems to get the most out of him. Maybe they are using practice film again or something?

~Ceadder

Let's not exaggerate. Banta-Cain has 2 sacks on the year. And they both came against Buffalo.....ranked 31st in pass protection, giving up 16 sacks on the year.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
And he did a terrible job. The personnel on this team is still not very good. Only reason we are dong good is because Sing is getting everyone to play at there highest potential.

Nolan still is a failure.
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
that's why you let head coaches coach, you let coordinators call plays and you let gm's and owners assemble the team. nolan had way too much on his plate and not only did he have alot on his plate... he tried eating it all too! he was not successful at being a coach because he had to help everywhere else! he didn't trust his coordinators enough to call plays, he didn't do all the right steps to be a winner! some people are meant for being a head coach! he isn't one! he shoulda just stuck to being a play caller!

No Offense but other than Manusky would YOU trust the coaching staff members over the last 4 years before this?

Unfortunately Alex was injured going into the season. So that led to the naming of JTO as the Starter. I'm not sure how much of a difference that it would have made given what we know now, but I would have to think a HEALTHY Smith plugged into a Martz run Offense would have been more exciting than a Hill run system. Not sure that the Offense would have run smoother, but there was plenty of talk that Smith looked better in Camp than expected. I think the Martz criticism of Smith was pure bravado, thinking back to the timing of the comment and Smith rehabbing. But then again I couldn't expect different from Martz given his history with injured QBs'. i.e. Trent Green and then Bulger etc.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Like father like son

Dick Nolan ----> Bill Walsh

Mike Nolan -----> Mike Singletary

Ouch. What a legacy that would be.

That does say it all.
Mike Nolan is a DEFENSIVE man and should have been hired as a Defensive Coordinator instead of the Head Coach. He would have been OK had Mike McCarthy or Norv Turner stayed, but when both of them left, Nolan didn't have a clue what to do.

In came Jim Hostler and the situation turned from so-so, to bad to worse, when finally Nolan brought in Mike Martz to try and salvage his career. Unfortunately for him, he was talked into starting JTO as his QB instead of Hill, and JTO turned out to be a bust.

When he was fired and Singletary was named HC, it didn't take him long to realize that JTO wasn't any better than any of the previous QB's who have failed. He brought in Hill and rest is history.

Yes, Nolan brought in some good people but he was trying to do TWO jobs at once and it didn't work. The good job he started with the Defense soon deteriorated because he could no longer concentrate on just the defense.

Note that the BRONCOS are doing OK with Mike Nolan as their DEFENSIVE coordinator. Live and Learn!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 6, 2009 at 18:45:15 ]
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
that's why you let head coaches coach, you let coordinators call plays and you let gm's and owners assemble the team. nolan had way too much on his plate and not only did he have alot on his plate... he tried eating it all too! he was not successful at being a coach because he had to help everywhere else! he didn't trust his coordinators enough to call plays, he didn't do all the right steps to be a winner! some people are meant for being a head coach! he isn't one! he shoulda just stuck to being a play caller!

No Offense but other than Manusky would YOU trust the coaching staff members over the last 4 years before this?

Unfortunately Alex was injured going into the season. So that led to the naming of JTO as the Starter. I'm not sure how much of a difference that it would have made given what we know now, but I would have to think a HEALTHY Smith plugged into a Martz run Offense would have been more exciting than a Hill run system. Not sure that the Offense would have run smoother, but there was plenty of talk that Smith looked better in Camp than expected. I think the Martz criticism of Smith was pure bravado, thinking back to the timing of the comment and Smith rehabbing. But then again I couldn't expect different from Martz given his history with injured QBs'. i.e. Trent Green and then Bulger etc.

~Ceadder

I think Tomsula, our D-line coach is a good teacher.I also like his energy. Besides that,other than Manusky the only coaches I actually respected was Norv and our special teams coach.
Nolan didn't build the team but he was a part in building the team. The problem with Nolan was he didnt know what to do with it.

/thread

~Ceadder

Let's not exaggerate. Banta-Cain has 2 sacks on the year. And they both came against Buffalo.....ranked 31st in pass protection, giving up 16 sacks on the year.

Yup. I'm not exaggerating. I'm just pointing out that for some reason he seems to be more effective with New England than with us. I think that alot of that had to do with having no real threat on the outside edge where he lined up. Can you NAME one guy that was consistent when TBC was lining up as our Primary? I can't think of one myself.

Also if Buffalo continues at this pace then TBC could easily double his current stat without even playing them yet. SO that's four sacks. Nevermind that he is alot like Manny for the Pats. Consistent against the Run. He's gonna funnel the BC into a Tackle. Right?

Yeah I hate that stupid spin move of his too, but I'm not going to tear down his two sacks like they're nothing.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone