LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 160 users in the forums

Mike Nolan Built this Team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nolan HELPED build this team, made some key mistakes from the beginning, started hurting the team more than helping it, then was promptly shown the door.

THE END.

umm it was scotty who brought in p. willy and a lot of those players you listed.

There was never a doubt that Nolan could bring in talented players, it was how he handled the players that lead to his downfall.
Yes Nolan helped in putting the team together, but it needed someone else to lead the team. That's where Sing comes in. He is exactly what the team needs. Not to mention he also cleaned house i.e. JTO, Martz, and demoting Roman
We couldn't win with him!! Couldn't do it!!

brought in Singletary someone the players actually respect and
by god we can play football when the whole focus is the team and winning
It's never how much talent you have it's how you use it..Look at the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays..I know it's a different sport but same principle
Any guy who had full motherf**king control of a team for three f**king years could have done the same f**king s**t. f**k MIKE NOLAN. STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT HIM. f**k YOU MIKE.
He did to a certain extent. But he was a horrible game day coach and decision maker. Plus he did not motivate the guys even 1%. The 49er players know Singletary will drop his pants if they don't play well so they fight hard and get motivated to avoid that.
Singletary is right ....... Mike Nolan did have his hand in building the foundation ...... but Singletary and his coaches raised the rest of the building.
Yep, Nolan built this team. But don't worry, now Singletary is fixing all that. It is going to take him a few seasons, but I think he will undue all of those Nolan mistakes.
Why are we still talking about that moron? horrible headcoach, a good defensive coordinater. and no it wasnt nolan it was scotty. i just dont see a reason for this post.
Originally posted by Method:
Any guy who had full motherf**king control of a team for three f**king years could have done the same f**king s**t. f**k MIKE NOLAN. STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT HIM. f**k YOU MIKE.

Whether you like it or not, Nolan's blueprint is on this team.

He (with McC) has brought in a lot of the current players. I would say that about 85% of the current roster is due to McNolan.

I always thought that Nolan's downfall was his inability was turnover at OC, and his reluctance to play rookies over vets unless they were #1 draft choices. I think if you asked him, he would do a lot of things differently.

-9fA

• GEEK
  • Veteran
...on rock n roll...
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by jreff22:

........nuff said!

O'Sullivan was more Martz than Nolan.

Nolan's problem wasnt getting talent (Gore, Davis, Lawson, Willis, and yes even Smith) it was developing talent especially in guys like Smith and Davis. Davis seems to be flourishing now but Alex is probably permanently damaged goods (at least in SF).

And I agree that ultimately I think Alex-gate was the beginning of the end. People really saw the "real" Mike Nolan after that. He was exposed as the cunning little prick that he is.

I think your wrong and that's fine. Alex is finally sitting on the bench and learning from hill how to run the huddle and not make stupid plays or negative plays that cost your team a win.
He does deserve quite a bit of credit for rebuilding this team from the dregs he inherited. Singletary has acknowledged that a number of times. Agree, he's not nearly as effective as a head coach as a defensive coordinator. He's doing a bang-up job in Denver...considering hardly anyone expected much from their defense this year. He's a quality coach...just not a head coach. He could make a good GM someday, too.
Originally posted by JohnnyMo49:
He could bring in good players, but he could not motivate, strategize, and win like Singletary can.

He was more fixated on wearing his suit and sunglasses on gameday. He stood away from the bench by himself in his own little world. You have to coach on gameday, not let the players just do their thing. How many wasted challenges and time outs did he have? A lot. Head coaching is not his forte. He does have that Denver defense playing well as their DC.

[ Edited by TheCatch on Oct 6, 2009 at 05:24:53 ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He does deserve quite a bit of credit for rebuilding this team from the dregs he inherited. Singletary has acknowledged that a number of times. Agree, he's not nearly as effective as a head coach as a defensive coordinator. He's doing a bang-up job in Denver...considering hardly anyone expected much from their defense this year. He's a quality coach...just not a head coach. He could make a good GM someday, too.

That's true the turn a round in Denver's defense was real quick.
Share 49ersWebzone