There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Extend Bly's Contract.........

Originally posted by tohara3:
Wouldn't look in to extending him until after season.

Agreed.

I think the reason he's been playing well is because he's been only coming in on nickel situations.

It's mute point anyway as AB just pointed out.

-9fA
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I wouldn't mind. He's been playing well and he's a good veteran for the young guys to follow and look up to. He's got a little swag too.

Yeah! As he should, he's doing an excellent job
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Dude have you been paying attention? Bly lost the starting job to Spencer who is playing very well. We have Clements/Spencer and T.Brown on the team maybe a 1 year extension but pay him? Why worry about locking up our nickle, 30 year old CB after week 4?

Because he's one of the reasons why guys like Warner and Favre havent been able to light it up on us. We're a great defense by COMMITEE. Bly has done a wonderful job in locking up receiving threats, and it's come especially handy when teams decide to spread our defense.

Im not saying give him a record contract, but he's very "signable" at this point. If we wait til season's end, Im sure he'll be asking for more, especially if his play continues.

If spenser stays true to form (God forbid) Bly will be starting this season.

I think Spencer has played well, in fact all of our CB's have played good.
It's too soon...we've played 1/4 of the season. Many things can happen the rest of the way...plenty of time to deal w/contract extensions, not just for Bly, but for others, as well. I wouldn't see anything happening 'til after Crabtree can't play this season...because the front office will then know what capital it has to work with.
well bly and brown will come up big when we play the colts and the luxury of having 4 solid corners will play a huge role when we play NO and Philly on the playoffs
If Spencer stays healthy, Bly will likely continue to be #3 CB. He could probably get more money elsewhere as well but one factor that may cause him to re-sign with us is if he sees this team as a winner, playoff contender and more. And of course if we offer him a fair deal.

I remember when Bly signed he said money is not an issue because he has earned enough in previous contracts. The biggest detraction from him re-signing with us is him being #3 CB.
He is the reason why we can face any 3 WR combo in the game and not lose any sleep over it, our DB's are kicking some serious ass right now
I agree, another year won't hurt, but not if he asks for a lot of money, there really isn't anything Bly does that Brown can't do as our NB.
I've been impressed with Bly as well.

Now if Walt Harris comes back and plays next year we will have a plethora of good CBs. Where it's great to stockpile talent, I don't see it in Bly's best interest to be a backup (#3 or even #4) CB. Especially if some other team is willing to pay him big this next off season.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Quick Niner brass ! Before other teams make note of his play and start giving him dreams of lofty contracts. Walt Harris was great for us, and I wouldnt mind him back at cheaper value, but clearly Bly plays great for us in the nickel package, and can easily start if needed.

I think the Niners should give him a contract extension BEFORE he starets to think highly of himself (which he has done) and parts way after season's end.

BTW, he has a one sign year contract with us worth $845,000.

PAY HIM NOW !!!!!!!!!

Drop the controller. This isn't Madden.

The skills required to play cornerback in the NFL begin to diminish after the age of 30. Bly has played well through four games as the fifth defensive back, but it's hard to sell a contract extension after just a fourth of a season to a cornerback at age 32. You'll find exceptions like Darrell Green and Deion Sanders, though both had the top speed Bly no longer possesses.

In addition to the statement above, Bly will likely be looking for a contract that exceeds two years and pays him like a starter. I can possibly see him signing a one year deal in the offseason with the 49ers if he isn't offered better.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Now if Walt Harris comes back and plays next year we will have a plethora of good CBs. Where it's great to stockpile talent, I don't see it in Bly's best interest to be a backup (#3 or even #4) CB. Especially if some other team is willing to pay him big this next off season.

Walt Harris? You want to talk about WALT HARRIS?!

But seriously. He's coming off an ACL tear at age 35. Also, he's an unrestricted free agent in 2010. Healthy 35 year old cornerbacks have a hard enough time finding work.
why he dropped an easy pick in the Minn game,that would of won the game,but the hot dog he is,he started his sportscenter dance before he caught the ball.
I would love to see this. I agree with others who think it is likely Bly would rather start elsewhere. However. If Bly did decide to hang out and be "the best nickel guy" in the league with us then our organization has really turned the corner. It would be great to see a good player who is getting into the twighlight of his career remain as a role player.

The other question is Walt harris? What do we do with him?
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Walt Harris? You want to talk about WALT HARRIS?!

But seriously. He's coming off an ACL tear at age 35. Also, he's an unrestricted free agent in 2010. Healthy 35 year old cornerbacks have a hard enough time finding work.

True, but he was looking to be our starter before his injury. If he wants to come back and works his ass off to rehab, I don't see any reason why he can't come back and compete. He may not take back the #2 job; but, I could see him as the #3 or 4...
  • rum53
  • Veteran
We can't extend Bly's contract right now due to league rules. We signed him for a 1-year contract at the veteran's minimum. If I remember correctly, veterans playing on a 1-year contract cannot negotiate an extension until the beginning of Free Agency.