There are 214 users in the forums

Extend Bly's Contract.........

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
Quick Niner brass ! Before other teams make note of his play and start giving him dreams of lofty contracts. Walt Harris was great for us, and I wouldnt mind him back at cheaper value, but clearly Bly plays great for us in the nickel package, and can easily start if needed.

I think the Niners should give him a contract extension BEFORE he starets to think highly of himself (which he has done) and parts way after season's end.

BTW, he has a one sign year contract with us worth $845,000.

PAY HIM NOW !!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't mind. He's been playing well and he's a good veteran for the young guys to follow and look up to. He's got a little swag too.
Dude have you been paying attention? Bly lost the starting job to Spencer who is playing very well. We have Clements/Spencer and T.Brown on the team maybe a 1 year extension but pay him? Why worry about locking up our nickle, 30 year old CB after week 4?
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by matt49er:
Dude have you been paying attention? Bly lost the starting job to Spencer who is playing very well. We have Clements/Spencer and T.Brown on the team maybe a 1 year extension but pay him? Why worry about locking up our nickle, 30 year old CB after week 4?

Because he's one of the reasons why guys like Warner and Favre havent been able to light it up on us. We're a great defense by COMMITEE. Bly has done a wonderful job in locking up receiving threats, and it's come especially handy when teams decide to spread our defense.

Im not saying give him a record contract, but he's very "signable" at this point. If we wait til season's end, Im sure he'll be asking for more, especially if his play continues.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for PatrickJira411.
Bly is going to be starting (for another team) next year. He is to good to be a backup esspecially when it is tough to find quality cornerbacks in this league.
Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Dre Bly= best cornerback trio in the NFL and heck is there a better 4th corner than Tarrell Brown?

Bly has played really well and I would say he is on the field about 50% of the defensive snaps so he almost like a starter. He has played great and I agree, he has added a little more swagger to our defense.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Because he's one of the reasons why guys like Warner and Favre havent been able to light it up on us. We're a great defense by COMMITEE. Bly has done a wonderful job in locking up receiving threats, and it's come especially handy when teams decide to spread our defense.

Im not saying give him a record contract, but he's very "signable" at this point. If we wait til season's end, Im sure he'll be asking for more, especially if his play continues.

Part of the reason this guy is playing well is because he has something to prove we paid him the min because he has sucked for 2+ years and the Broncos cut him. Why extend him after 4 weeks and let him relax? If we want him back I doubt there will be a huge Dre Bly market out there.
  • ZRF80

Part of the reason this guy is playing well is because he has something to prove we paid him the min because he has sucked for 2+ years and the Broncos cut him. Why extend him after 4 weeks and let him relax? If we want him back I doubt there will be a huge Dre Bly market out there.

Ummmm, no. I agree that he may be playing with a chip on his shoulder, but I doubt he "relaxes" if we pay him.

Ummmm, no. I agree that he may be playing with a chip on his shoulder, but I doubt he "relaxes" if we pay him.

How many athletes have their best seasons when they are in a contract year? Not a new concept here, also how common do you think it is to sign a player a 30 something veteran at that and extend him 4 weeks into the season? not very common because it's stupid 1) you want to see if the veteran holds up. 2) you want to make sure he's consistent. also we're pretty deep at CB and have a youngster in T.Brown we may want to get on the field.
He's been a real good pickup so far other than missing that pick 6 last week that would have sealed the deal for the 9ers. A few of my friends who are Bronco fans told me that he's a boom or bust player who could get the pick or give of the long play. So far, I think they're full of it. He's been a big addition to the D with the role that he is playing. That being said, I think I would prefer to see a few more games before I seriously entertained the notion of extending his contract.

[ Edited by fzrdave on Oct 4, 2009 at 19:13:03 ]

Regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, I don't think contracts can be extended within the same year of the original deal.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, I don't think contracts can be extended within the same year of the original deal.

you are correct, since he is a vested vet, and signed a 1yr vet min deal, her cant be re-uped till after 2009.
He's for real.
Wouldn't look in to exrending him until after season.

If spenser stays true to form (God forbid) Bly will be starting this season.
Share 49ersWebzone