There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Shaun Hill = Trent Dilfer?

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by B650:
I think Hill is better than Dilfer, but I see the similarities. If only we had the Ravens defense that year.

LOL there' a lot of links/comparisons. Back then the AFC North was a garbage can (just like our con-current NFC West), and Baltimore's (2000) schedule was very winnable, facing only 2 teams that were definite losses against the Dolphins and Titans (just like the Colts and Eagles appear on our schedule).

Our defense won't be as intense as the 2000 Ravens , but I'm almost for certain we'll finish within the top 10 and get into the playoffs.

there was no AFC north in 2000.
When Shaun has a Superbowl win, then you can compare him to Dilfer.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Both aren't that mobile

He reminds me more of a slightly better version of Tim Rattay.

I'm having bad flashbacks. Nobody should ever be compared to Tim Ratty. Well, except maybe Steve Stenstrom.

Tim Rattay was the 2nd best productive QB we have had the past 5-6 years.

Rat could throw, better than Hill or Dilfer or maybe even Garcia. Though I agree that Garcia was much better overall. I wish Rat was still around as our backup sometimes.
I never liked Rattay, he was a train wreck waiting to happen. Our last really good QB was Garcia. Smith was showing some promise, but Nolan and his inability to keep a decent coaching staff might have ruined him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I never liked Rattay, he was a train wreck waiting to happen. Our last really good QB was Garcia. Smith was showing some promise, but Nolan and his inability to keep a decent coaching staff might have ruined him.

How many times are we gonna go through this.

McCarthy wanted to become a head coach, how was that Nolan's fault??

Norv Turner wanted to become a head coach, how was that Nolan's fault??

Jim Hostler, everybody and the Banjo man was calling for his head, goodridden's if you ask me, no brainer there.

Mike Martz, well, thank Martz for getting rid of Nolan.
After watching all the NFL Films highlights and specials, Shaun reminds me of Bernie Kosar. Just the way they drop back, form, balloon balls and lame duck passes are pretty similar. And of course, they win games. That's just me though....

Originally posted by Black59Razor:
After watching all the NFL Films highlights and specials, Shaun reminds me of Bernie Kosar. Just the way they drop back, form, balloon balls and lame duck passes are pretty similar. And of course, they win games. That's just me though....

Yeah, I think I will agree with this comparison. Good call Bernie ain't pretty, weak and slow but he gets the job done.
Everyones all happy with Hill because we are winning, but the truth is this guys wont be good enough when we have to play playoff bound teams. Its a shame too because our D is playing close to a championship level. Shaun is doing NOTHING that ANY average QB can't do.....

Anyway, this is just how I feel after watching the game at Candlestick today. I'll go back and watch it on tv.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

How many times are we gonna go through this.

McCarthy wanted to become a head coach, how was that Nolan's fault??

Norv Turner wanted to become a head coach, how was that Nolan's fault??

Jim Hostler, everybody and the Banjo man was calling for his head, goodridden's if you ask me, no brainer there.

Mike Martz, well, thank Martz for getting rid of Nolan.

I only blame Nolan for Martz, and I guess it got him what he deserved. He is doing an excellent job turning that terrible Denver defense around though. Guess he just doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach. Maybe I should have inserted the team in place of Nolan in my previous post.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Everyones all happy with Hill because we are winning, but the truth is this guys wont be good enough when we have to play playoff bound teams. Its a shame too because our D is playing close to a championship level. Shaun is doing NOTHING that ANY average QB can't do.....

Anyway, this is just how I feel after watching the game at Candlestick today. I'll go back and watch it on tv.

So any average QB would have kept his composure in a hostile environment and drove 80 yards to throw the winning TD in the 4th QTR after being held back play calling wise?

It happened against a Team that barely lost in the SuperBowl....at their house.

he did it again in hostile territory in loud a$$ Minnesota against a one of the best Defenses in the league, without Gore...and help give us the go ahead score......

yes any Average QB can do those things.....

but I'm sure you're (and any Hill hater) will say it shouldn't have came down to those plays....bla bla.... we have ProBowl Linemen and WRs and running game to where an Average QB would be blowing those teams out at their stadiums, with no need to make clutch 4qtr plays. right?

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 4, 2009 at 19:33:18 ]
  • Blackgoat49ers5
  • Info N/A
The Magic Man Shaun Hill
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

So any average QB would have kept his composure in a hostile environment and drove 80 yards to throw the winning TD in the 4th QTR after being held back play calling wise?

It happened against a Team that barely lost in the SuperBowl....at their house.

he did it again in hostile territory in loud a$$ Minnesota against a one of the best Defenses in the league, without Gore...and help give us the go ahead score......

yes any Average QB can do those things.....

but I'm sure you're (and any Hill hater) will say it shouldn't have came down to those plays....bla bla.... we have ProBowl Linemen and WRs and running game to where an Average QB would be blowing those teams out at their stadiums, with no need to make clutch 4qtr plays. right?

Your right! A good/great QB is more consistent. Hill is not consistent. Yes our line sucks, yes our WR are average, but that doesn't change the facts that he is average. As soon as he feels pressure he stops looking down field.

P.S. Thanks for point out the only real drives of those games. Thats why they stick out, because we didn't do jack the rest of the game. I'm not saying it's all Hills fault, I just dont think he is that good and we could do better, but how do I prove it?
Shaun Hill = Trent Dilfer
Alex Smith = Joey Harrington
  • kush
  • Veteran
For f**k's sake, what does Hill have to do to shut up the haters?! The guy is 10-4 with 4- 4th qtr/ot comeback victories(should've/could've been 5 last week)...on the 49ERS!!! I would be surprised if Peyton Manning could pull that off. The fact is that Shaun is a gutsy, clutch, play-maker whose wounded ducks blind many from the magic he puts on display on Sundays. During the first half of the @Rams game last year I decided Shaun Hill was not our Franchise QB; He proved me wrong that game and he continues to do so this year. I believe, trust and know that Shaun is the guy now and it feels f**king fantastic! Wounded ducks be damned
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
For f**k's sake, what does Hill have to do to shut up the haters?! The guy is 10-4 with 4- 4th qtr/ot comeback victories(should've/could've been 5 last week)...on the 49ERS!!! I would be surprised if Peyton Manning could pull that off. The fact is that Shaun is a gutsy, clutch, play-maker whose wounded ducks blind many from the magic he puts on display on Sundays. During the first half of the @Rams game last year I decided Shaun Hill was not our Franchise QB; He proved me wrong that game and he continues to do so this year. I believe, trust and know that Shaun is the guy now and it feels f**king fantastic! Wounded ducks be damned

So if someone thinks Hill should be more consistent then they are haters? That is a weak ass argument there. He has really not looked as good as he did last year at all, one or two drives a game are not going to get it done. If Smith was playing like Hill, there would be a general outcry for his benching. I do not hate Hiil, or any other Niner, but I also think that he is nothing better than an average QB. Good thing we have an excellent defense that can make the shoddy and inconsistent play of not only our QB but the shoddy pass blocking of the o line stand up.

[ Edited by Memphis9er on Oct 4, 2009 at 20:07:14 ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home