LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Shaun Hill = Trent Dilfer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One of my friends (not a 49ers fan) made that comparison to me the other day. Now I'm not talking about the 49ers version of Trent Dilfer, but the Baltimore Ravens version. Both QBs are leaders of their perspective teams, not asked to do much, but step up and lead their teams when needed. Neither QB will wow you, but they find a way to get the job done! Also, both teams were primarily lead by the defense and a stong running attack. Now I'm not saying that the 2009 San Francisco 49ers will be the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, but the similarities are there!

[ Edited by PTulini on Oct 3, 2009 at 00:05:44 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
I think Hill is better than Dilfer, but I see the similarities. If only we had the Ravens defense that year.

[ Edited by B650 on Oct 3, 2009 at 00:03:36 ]
Both aren't that mobile

He reminds me more of a slightly better version of Tim Rattay.

[ Edited by SolRebe1 on Oct 3, 2009 at 00:30:13 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Both aren't that mobile

He reminds me more of a slightly better version of Tim Rattay.

I'm having bad flashbacks. Nobody should ever be compared to Tim Ratty. Well, except maybe Steve Stenstrom.
Originally posted by B650:
I think Hill is better than Dilfer, but I see the similarities. If only we had the Ravens defense that year.

LOL there' a lot of links/comparisons. Back then the AFC North was a garbage can (just like our con-current NFC West), and Baltimore's (2000) schedule was very winnable, facing only 2 teams that were definite losses against the Dolphins and Titans (just like the Colts and Eagles appear on our schedule).

Our defense won't be as intense as the 2000 Ravens , but I'm almost for certain we'll finish within the top 10 and get into the playoffs.
  • mod
  • Veteran
At this point I think hill is still more productive than dilfer was as the ravens qb
Less talented than Dilfer.
EXCEPT Hill doesn't throw the int's and incompletions and doesn't have the line Or the #1 Defense........BUT DOES BETTER w/o all of that....WOW

Not even close...plus Hill is more accurate and can Run away from people
Maybe Dilfer in his prime, we got Dilfer at his washed up best and stuck him behind a very poor pass blocking o line.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by B650:

LOL there' a lot of links/comparisons. Back then the AFC North was a garbage can (just like our con-current NFC West), and Baltimore's (2000) schedule was very winnable, facing only 2 teams that were definite losses against the Dolphins and Titans (just like the Colts and Eagles appear on our schedule).

Our defense won't be as intense as the 2000 Ravens , but I'm almost for certain we'll finish within the top 10 and get into the playoffs.

I whish I shared your optimism. We will get to see all of Hills deficiencies if he take Coach Mike's advise and "opens it up"

I am not sure who has been watching the games, but I sure have. How many rushing yards do we have on the season? hmm...

We are middle of the pack, averaging 111.2 yards per game. If you look at the AZ and MN game, we would only be averaging about 50yards/game. Hill is not relying on a GREAT rushing game. He may be relying on a good defense, but he has gotten it done without a rushing game.... twice!
NO! Dilfer is in a class of FU by himself. His best years were with the Ravens and that was only because they want him not the screw it up so the defense and special team can get on the field and score. His years with Tampa is more indicative of what he's about.

His talent attributes are like Hill, but the difference is he thinks he can be Brett Favre. So when he takes a chance it usually at best a momentum, drive killing INTs or at worse 7 the other way for the defense.

So is Hill playing like that for us so far...
Hill> than Dilfer
hahahahahha
Originally posted by kstolai:
Hill> than Dilfer
Share 49ersWebzone