LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Just watched the Jets/Dolphins games and both starting QBs with 8 NFL starts between them looked far better than Hill. Face it Hill really sucks.. Anybody that thinks he is a starting caliber QB is nuts. Hill is not the answer short or long term..

Put Smith back in, and let's see, one last time, if he has the right stuff. If not, then we move on, without Smith and definitely without Hill, because he is just a pie chucker.

I am a Hill supporter, but I'm not delusional to think he's our future. And yes, I also saw the game tonight and Henne/Sanchez were very impressive!

COLT MCCOY for 2010!!!!!!!!

Haven't you heard? Smith>>>>Hill/Young/Montana Combined
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Just watched the Jets/Dolphins games and both starting QBs with 8 NFL starts between them looked far better than Hill. Face it Hill really sucks.. Anybody that thinks he is a starting caliber QB is nuts. Hill is not the answer short or long term..

Put Smith back in, and let's see, one last time, if he has the right stuff. If not, then we move on, without Smith and definitely without Hill, because he is just a pie chucker.

I am a Hill supporter, but I'm not delusional to think he's our future. And yes, I also saw the game tonight and Henne/Sanchez were very impressive!

LOL!!!!!!! only in the webzone!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Watching Chad Henne & Mark Sanchez throw the ball here on Monday night makes me realize just how limited this offense can be with Hill back there. They make the outs look easy & the deep pass so simple & pretty. We are gonna have to deal with this game management all year long, which also means 8-9 in the box & blitzs all year. I still believe we can make the playoffs, but its gonna be tough.

As long as Raye is our OC don't ever expect us to be an offense like the ones you've seen tonight.

The simple truth is that with a different QB under Center Raye can do more. If we replaced Hill and Raye was still this conservative then I could see the fuss about our OC. But I'm tellin ya man, it ain't Raye and never was.

The Falcons just dissected our Offense on national TV. Hill's weaknesses were laid bare for all to see. If people still blame the lack of Offense on Raye, then I don't know what they been watching all season. Competitive earwax collecting or something?

Now I am hoping that with a healthy Frank back that he can take off some of the pressure from Hill. But I don't see how the Texans won't steamroll right over the top of the guy. Even with their Defensive inefficiencies.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 12, 2009 at 21:16:04 ]
Watching Chad Henne & Mark Sanchez throw the ball here on Monday night makes me realize just how limited this offense can be with Hill back there. They make the outs look easy & the deep pass so simple & pretty. We are gonna have to deal with this game management all year long, which also means 8-9 in the box & blitzs all year. I still believe we can make the playoffs, but its gonna be tough.

I was HOPING for a post like this when I clicked on this thread, because I feel the exact same way.

Seems like these college QBs are making a faster impact in the NFL, Henne looks like a real deal QB to me, he was amazing tonight.

I have been hammering that idea/philosophy for a while now. The argument that you draft a kid and let him sit and learn for 2-3 years is nice but a little naive at the same time. Numerous kids are coming out of college and contributing right away....we just got smoked by one on Sunday. If you draft the right kid there is no reason why they cant step right in and play, yes there will be rookie mistakes but vets make errors just as well. Granted you could draft a bust and get nothing out of him but you could also hit a bulls eye and end up with the ROY. The only way to know is to play the kid and let him ease into the system and the speed of the game. If you are willing to throw millions of dollars at a QB, you should get him into the game and make him earn his check.

Certainly better than Hill. But it doesn't surprise me in the least that you equate Hill with Montana or Young.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by jreff22:

I was HOPING for a post like this when I clicked on this thread, because I feel the exact same way.

Seems like these college QBs are making a faster impact in the NFL, Henne looks like a real deal QB to me, he was amazing tonight.

I have been hammering that idea/philosophy for a while now. The argument that you draft a kid and let him sit and learn for 2-3 years is nice but a little naive at the same time. Numerous kids are coming out of college and contributing right away....we just got smoked by one on Sunday. If you draft the right kid there is no reason why they cant step right in and play, yes there will be rookie mistakes but vets make errors just as well. Granted you could draft a bust and get nothing out of him but you could also hit a bulls eye and end up with the ROY. The only way to know is to play the kid and let him ease into the system and the speed of the game. If you are willing to throw millions of dollars at a QB, you should get him into the game and make him earn his check.

Agreed.

Although in my honest opinion.....as long as Mcoughlan is the VP, he will not give up on the Alex Smith (failed) Project by drafting another QB. I hope I am wrong.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

As long as Raye is our OC don't ever expect us to be an offense like the ones you've seen tonight.

The simple truth is that with a different QB under Center Raye can do more. If we replaced Hill and Raye was still this conservative then I could see the fuss about our OC. But I'm tellin ya man, it ain't Raye and never was.

The Falcons just dissected our Offense on national TV. Hill's weaknesses were laid bare for all to see. If people still blame the lack of Offense on Raye, then I don't know what they been watching all season. Competitive earwax collecting or something?

Now I am hoping that with a healthy Frank back that he can take off some of the pressure from Hill. But I don't see how the Texans won't steamroll right over the top of the guy. Even with their Defensive inefficiencies.

~Ceadder

Exactly!!

I don't blame Raye at this point, I think Hill had like 30 something attempts this game, Raye is letting him throw the ball. Hill is just Hill, he is limited by his physical abilities which limits the offense. His lack of mobility makes life harder for the O Line, his inability to throw a tight spiral makes life harder for the WR's, his inability to throw with velocity and distance limits what the OC (whoever that may be) in play calling. He is a glorified #2 which is fine if that's his permanent role, he sustains games and wont lose them for you. But as a starter he doesn't have the ability to take over a game and actually beat a defense. Sooner rather then later he will put us in jeopardy because of his lack of skill, I said it in the preseason, Smith will start at some point this year.

Agreed.

Although in my honest opinion.....as long as Mcoughlan is the VP, he will not give up on the Alex Smith (failed) Project by drafting another QB. I hope I am wrong.

Although I was a very strong Smith supporter, now I'm more like . I do think he got the short end of the stick and had the worst luck early in his career. Is he are savior...I have no idea but I would like to see what he can do. What's the worse that can happen, we lose, but we will know where we stand. If he tries and fails then we know he isn't deserving of a roster spot anymore and we can officially move on. Scotty will do what Sing tells him, if he's told I need a QB Scotty will listen. I do think though Sing will exhaust all resources before he makes that kind of statement and team acquisition. Sing is a no bulls**t kind of guy and coach, if Hill and Smith cant get the job done he will get somebody who will....and I do believe that!

Agreed.

Although I was a very strong Smith supporter, now I'm more like . I do think he got the short end of the stick and had the worst luck early in his career. Is he are savior...I have no idea but I would like to see what he can do. What's the worse that can happen, we lose, but we will know where we stand. If he tries and fails then we know he isn't deserving of a roster spot anymore and we can officially move on. Scotty will do what Sing tells him, if he's told I need a QB Scotty will listen. I do think though Sing will exhaust all resources before he makes that kind of statement and team acquisition. Sing is a no bulls**t kind of guy and coach, if Hill and Smith cant get the job done he will get somebody who will....and I do believe that!

Gore will be back to save Hill's @ss....but I still believe it's going to be inevitable that Singletary will have to make a decision sometime this season regarding Hill's horrible play....therefore; I SURE hope you're right about Singletary.

Agreed.

Didn't he just draft Nate Davis?

~Ceadder

Exactly!!

I don't blame Raye at this point, I think Hill had like 30 something attempts this game, Raye is letting him throw the ball. Hill is just Hill, he is limited by his physical abilities which limits the offense. His lack of mobility makes life harder for the O Line, his inability to throw a tight spiral makes life harder for the WR's, his inability to throw with velocity and distance limits what the OC (whoever that may be) in play calling. He is a glorified #2 which is fine if that's his permanent role, he sustains games and wont lose them for you. But as a starter he doesn't have the ability to take over a game and actually beat a defense. Sooner rather then later he will put us in jeopardy because of his lack of skill, I said it in the preseason, Smith will start at some point this year.

I really think it's BOTH Hill and Raye.

Hill because of his inabilities to throw an accurate deep ball, non-existence zip, and his easy-to-bat-down side arm release.

And Raye for his poor playcalling that consist of: quick routes to the flat by RBs/TEs (not talking check downs, but quick releases to the flat that end up with 0-2 yard gains), repetitive up-the-gut runs, non-imagination plays, predictable play calling, and the inability to design plays that compensate for the weak O-Line play.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Agreed.

Didn't he just draft Nate Davis?

Not to start a hate war but Davis was/is not a blue chip player.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Hill because of his inabilities to throw an accurate deep ball, non-existence zip, and his easy-to-bat-down side arm release.

Have you not noticed his inability to throw intermediate routes, any corner route (long or short), an out (to the right or left), as well as underneath passes and screens this year?

If it were just about his inability to throw the deep ball this thread, and the other one about starting Smith after the bye, would not be so long (maybe would not exist).

~Ceadder

Exactly!!

And Raye for his poor playcalling that consist of: quick routes to the flat by RBs/TEs (not talking check downs, but quick releases to the flat that end up with 0-2 yard gains), repetitive up-the-gut runs, non-imagination plays, predictable play calling, and the inability to design plays that compensate for the weak O-Line play.

You can only do so much with what you have.

~Ceadder

Exactly!!

You can only do so much with what you have.

But I mean, something as small as calling a screen (or draw) on downs other than 3rd and long.
Share 49ersWebzone