LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by BHulman:
I think part of the problem is that this team is not a power-running team. Outside of Gore's two great runs the running game has not done that much to get excited about. If we were a team that could control the ball on the ground, then Hill would be fine (not great) at QB. But the Niners arn't that team right now. Just saying it doesn't make it so.

If Hill could make a play or two it might open the running game up a little bit dontcha' think?
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by BHulman:
I think part of the problem is that this team is not a power-running team. Outside of Gore's two great runs the running game has not done that much to get excited about. If we were a team that could control the ball on the ground, then Hill would be fine (not great) at QB. But the Niners arn't that team right now. Just saying it doesn't make it so.

If Hill could make a play or two it might open the running game up a little bit dontcha' think?

We'll, I didn't want to be too critical. But if would be nice to be able to occasionally throw the ball down the field so they couldn't stuff the box and stop all those freakin blitzes (or at least make the other team pay for them.)
Part of the reason Hill seems to have less time than other BETTER QB's has a lot to do with his play. Same as Alex Smith. In large part he creates his own misery. Defenses do not respect his vertical game nor his ability to consistently make them pay for sending pressure. He routinely misses open receivers and frankly often sacks himself. He does make plays here and there and he should, he's a pro but the sentiment that with better receivers he would be a probowler are laughable. He is what he is. A cautious game manager. We have a great defense and that whole package may or may not be enough to get us to the playoffs.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Part of the reason Hill seems to have less time than other BETTER QB's has a lot to do with his play. Same as Alex Smith. In large part he creates his own misery. Defenses do not respect his vertical game nor his ability to consistently make them pay for sending pressure. He routinely misses open receivers and frankly often sacks himself. He does make plays here and there and he should, he's a pro but the sentiment that with better receivers he would be a probowler are laughable. He is what he is. A cautious game manager. We have a great defense and that whole package may or may not be enough to get us to the playoffs.

That.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by TDilvr:

That.

I think our receivers are pretty good. We just haven't had a chance to see it yet.
Put it this way: if Hill gets traded and goes to the Lions, for example, what would you think if we were playing them? Would you be fearful? What would your gameplan be? Seriously, let's take our homer glasses off for a minute. We can practically find someone who's been CUT and collecting dust, plug him in, and see the same results. Jeff Garcia would do the same job Hill is doing. In other words, no, I'm not happy with Hill's performance at all.

Let's take that to the extreme. Would you be fearful of him playing for the Patriots or one of the other "Upper tier" teams.

I wouldn't I'd take away the short to intermediate routes then make him beat my team with the deep ball. He may get one but I would play the odds that he wouldn't be able to do it more than a couple of times. Meanwhile I let my Defense pin their ears back an have at him.

~Ceadder
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Put it this way: if Hill gets traded and goes to the Lions, for example, what would you think if we were playing them? Would you be fearful? What would your gameplan be? Seriously, let's take our homer glasses off for a minute. We can practically find someone who's been CUT and collecting dust, plug him in, and see the same results. Jeff Garcia would do the same job Hill is doing. In other words, no, I'm not happy with Hill's performance at all.

Let's take that to the extreme. Would you be fearful of him playing for the Patriots or one of the other "Upper tier" teams.

I wouldn't I'd take away the short to intermediate routes then make him beat my team with the deep ball. He may get one but I would play the odds that he wouldn't be able to do it more than a couple of times. Meanwhile I let my Defense pin their ears back an have at him.

~Ceadder

Which is what's been happening. And then people wonder why Hill has no time to throw and has to scramble for his life. Make them pay for blitzes and you won't have this problem.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

~Ceadder

Didn't we just witness that yesterday , and therein lies the biggest flaw in the Shaun Hill starship , at the end of the day no one respects or fears any aspect of his game, he doesn't dink and dunk you to death , he doesn't beat you deep , his intermediate throws are skippers in the dirt , And remind why he 's a qb? he kinda fails in the crucial requirements of the job
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Hard to say bc of the OL play...but these types of games really show the downside to Hill's game.

Pretty much you can forget trying to comeback with his arm and that's the truth. Doesn't help that the OL doesn't block.

its not hard to say, his play has been eh, I have zero confidence on 3rd downs, his arm has no zip and he likes to float everything and let recievers hang. Whether the answer is smith or someone new in the draft I dont know.

Can you say that in the games we won with him or in the 4th quarter this season? gotta give him credit the guy is a leader out there. If Alex or Nate just had Shaun's fire and leadership, they would be starting right now.

I am with you that this is not a playoff/SB arm. Plus Hill inability to move in the pocket doesn't help either.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ermj:

~Ceadder

Didn't we just witness that yesterday , and therein lies the biggest flaw in the Shaun Hill starship , at the end of the day no one respects or fears any aspect of his game, he doesn't dink and dunk you to death , he doesn't beat you deep , his intermediate throws are skippers in the dirt , And remind why he 's a qb? he kinda fails in the crucial requirements of the job

But, but..he has a heart and it beats. And then this one time he ran for a first down and his helmet flew off. Then like, one time, he hit Bruce on this one deep ball, one time.

I wish he wouldn't checkdown to the RB so much on 3rd and long.

-9fA
Dang....just skimming through this thread and where were all you before the season started?

All I saw was Shaun hill is this and that, He's our QB, eff Alex, etc.

I don't know why everyone is so surprised... His arm has always been like a WET NOODLE!!! What did everyone expect? Now when you have a noodle arm and a line that cant block....its going to be disaster sooner or later.

We all know Shaun is NOT the future, but I can live with him for this year. LETS FIX THIS DAMN LINE AND GET THE RUNNING GAME GOING....and then worry about the QB position cuz putting in Alex or Nate won't be of any help IMO!!!!!
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by cNiner:
7-0 At Home nuf said !

7-2 now.

Not looking positive when you stop to consider that Hill rode Gore's TWO touchdowns for the Win against a injury depleted Seahawk team. Take those away and he's 6-3.

But hey he is what he is. You knew what you were gonna get with him. So much for "safe".

~Ceadder

This was Shaun's first loss at home as a starter. 7-1

Losing by 35 points should be considered 2 losses.

Shaun Hill doesn't play DE, CB, FS, SS, KR or RB or WR, or RT or RG or creates his own plays with his fingers in the dirt.

That's true, but neither did Alex. How come it's good enough for him but not for that P#$$Y Shaun Hill?

Oh *SNAPS* that's it. Hill is the underdog. I get it now.

~Ceadder
7-0 At Home nuf said !

7-2 now.

Not looking positive when you stop to consider that Hill rode Gore's TWO touchdowns for the Win against a injury depleted Seahawk team. Take those away and he's 6-3.

But hey he is what he is. You knew what you were gonna get with him. So much for "safe".

~Ceadder

Shaun Hill doesn't play DE, CB, FS, SS, KR or RB or WR, or RT or RG or creates his own plays with his fingers in the dirt.

That's true, but neither did Alex. How come it's good enough for him but not for that P#$$Y Shaun Hill?

~Ceadder

Found another way to coddle Alex huh...Too bad that P#$$y Smith couldn't even beat a weak QB in Hill so does it even matter??? What does that say about your boy Smitty...ahhhh, maybe in year six guys
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
7-0 At Home nuf said !

7-2 now.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Found another way to coddle Alex huh...Too bad that P#$$y Smith couldn't even beat a weak QB in Hill so does it even matter??? What does that say about your boy Smitty...ahhhh, maybe in year six guys

I got to ask, what was the worse injury you ever went to work with? Was it harder than playing in the NFL (for a couple of game) with a severely separated shoulder?
Share 49ersWebzone