Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by cNiner:
7-0 At Home nuf said !

7-2 now.

Not looking positive when you stop to consider that Hill rode Gore's TWO touchdowns for the Win against a injury depleted Seahawk team. Take those away and he's 6-3.

But hey he is what he is. You knew what you were gonna get with him. So much for "safe".

~Ceadder

This was Shaun's first loss at home as a starter. 7-1

Losing by 35 points should be considered 2 losses.

Shaun Hill doesn't play DE, CB, FS, SS, KR or RB or WR, or RT or RG or creates his own plays with his fingers in the dirt.
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

I reaslly cant believe there is anyone on this board who is "happy" with Hill. The unfortunate truth is...Shaun Hill is not the answer. I have finally been to a game where he started to see it for myself (it happened to be the game the Seahawks game two weeks ago). To say it simply, Shaun Hill is "limited" and no I am not talking about the his ability / inability to throw the long ball.

Every game I have watched Hill play he has done some good things, but I always come away feeling (and usually yelling to who ever will listen) that we need a new QB bad. Hill crumbles when the slightest pressure is felt. His ability to create something out of nothing is the most glaring problem. In the game I saw against the Hawks, Hill threw some horrible passes. He had a wide open screen that he decided to throw sidearm (right into the DL). The pass everyone says Bruce dropped when he was wide open...go back and check the film the pass was a wobbly duck!

He alone can't win us a game, and will cause us to see many defenses that looked like last week with 8-11 guys on the line of scrimmage.

THANK! YOU!
I'm not a Hill hater I'm a 49er fan

But thinking about it, Hill looked like complete ass out there. lol some of those passes were horrendous. Nothing we can do but hope he along with the entire team play better from here on out.
maybe best thing for niners, in long run, is for the falcons to kick their butts....the sooner the shaun hill charade ends the better for the niners
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TDilvr:

I reaslly cant believe there is anyone on this board who is "happy" with Hill. The unfortunate truth is...Shaun Hill is not the answer. I have finally been to a game where he started to see it for myself (it happened to be the game the Seahawks game two weeks ago). To say it simply, Shaun Hill is "limited" and no I am not talking about the his ability / inability to throw the long ball.

Every game I have watched Hill play he has done some good things, but I always come away feeling (and usually yelling to who ever will listen) that we need a new QB bad. Hill crumbles when the slightest pressure is felt. His ability to create something out of nothing is the most glaring problem. In the game I saw against the Hawks, Hill threw some horrible passes. He had a wide open screen that he decided to throw sidearm (right into the DL). The pass everyone says Bruce dropped when he was wide open...go back and check the film the pass was a wobbly duck!

He alone can't win us a game, and will cause us to see many defenses that looked like last week with 8-11 guys on the line of scrimmage.

THANK! YOU!

The offense looks so limited it's painful. It's pretty bad that while watching the offense, I'm actually expecting a sack or an interception. Why do you think they blitz us so much? Hill can't beat it. He can't throw deep. He can't move around. He panics and throws the ball into the dirt or throws a wobbly duck deep to a WR to have him try to pull a Randy Moss. Problem is our WRs 6 feet tall with no jumping ability. It's a mess right now. I haven't seen this offense look this bad since Tim Rattay and Steve Stenstrom were competing against each other. The freakin' dude can't even throw a spiral! I love the 49ers, but I'm not blind. I see what I see. You guys can sugarcoat it all you want, but this guy is not an NFL QB, and when we finally do get one, you'll realize it. For now, watch the tape and pretend you're a Falcons fan for a moment. Look at Matt Ryan. Now that's a QB. See the difference?

Unfortunately, that's all we have at the moment, so there's nothing else to say or do for now. But, if I'm the coach, I'm giving Hill a couple more games. He has to show me something or I'll sit him down and put someone else in. We need a spark.

[ Edited by B650 on Oct 12, 2009 at 09:50:32 ]
We lost yest due to the 45 points allowed, not because we couldn't score 50 points!

Peyton Manning could not have score 50 points yesterday with that OLINE, WRs and the other units.

Shaul Hill is surely not the answer for the long term. For this season, he is the best we've got. Some of the folks believe Alex will somehow suddenly create magic with the same unit? With this OLINE, he will be injured in the first couple of series. I don't see any leadership abilities or heart in him...and based on reports, the players like to play with Shaun Hill. Fwiw, he has a 10-5 record, and for a team that relies on defense, that should normally be enough.
I wouldn't mess with the QB situation on our team, but it's not upto me.
Either way, I'm happy as long as we win.

THANK! YOU!

The offense looks so limited it's painful. It's pretty bad that while watching the offense, I'm actually expecting a sack or an interception. Why do you think they blitz us so much? Hill can't beat it. He can't throw deep. He can't move around. He panics and throws the ball into the dirt or throws a wobbly duck deep to a WR to have him try to pull a Randy Moss. Problem is our WRs 6 feet tall with no jumping ability. It's a mess right now. I haven't seen this offense look this bad since Tim Rattay and Steve Stenstrom were competing against each other. The freakin' dude can't even throw a spiral! I love the 49ers, but I'm not blind. I see what I see. You guys can sugarcoat it all you want, but this guy is not an NFL QB, and when we finally do get one, you'll realize it. For now, watch the tape and pretend you're a Falcons fan for a moment. Look at Matt Ryan. Now that's a QB. See the difference?

Unfortunately, that's all we have at the moment, so there's nothing else to say or do for now. But, if I'm the coach, I'm giving Hill a couple more games. He has to show me something or I'll sit him down and put someone else in. We need a spark.

You all do know that if they put in Smith or Davis, teams are still going to blitz, and defenses are still going to rip through guys like #62 like a hot knife through butter. Then we are going to talk about the terrible day Smith had. Or the terrible day Davis had.
I know they lose and they win as a team but obviously the qb takes the most blame. Obviously because he needs to step up his game when we are down. Hill OVIOUSLY does not have the comeback from behind ability like we saw in week three with Favre. Do you guys really see Hill taking us far into the playoffs? I don't. This guy throws floaters all day long. Every receiver has to slow down because Hill wont reach the throw. Everybody is talking how he is a game manager and doesn't throw INTs but how is he going to throw when the ball is at our receiver feet or he is handing off the ball. Hill hasn't convinced me and this guy is a career back-up. I say we give Alex Smith his last shot know that he knows this offense, I assume he knows it by know, and see if we draft for qb if these two cant make it.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:

THANK! YOU!

You all do know that if they put in Smith or Davis, teams are still going to blitz, and defenses are still going to rip through guys like #62 like a hot knife through butter. Then we are going to talk about the terrible day Smith had. Or the terrible day Davis had.

They might look just as bad, but at least they're gaining some experience out of it. Aaron Rodgers didn't look all that great at first and neither did Eli Manning. In fact, most QBs don't. What do we gain out of Shaun Hill (who's almost 30) being thrown out there to look bad? We aren't getting anything out of it. We already KNOW that he isn't the QB of the future, right? I mean, can we say that's a given? OK, do we know that Smith isn't, for sure? How about Davis? Just seems to make sense to me to put the younger backup in if your starting QB is older and stinking it up. I'd give him a few more weeks.

[ Edited by B650 on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:09:51 ]

THANK! YOU!

They might look just as bad, but at least they're gaining some experience out of it. Aaron Rodgers didn't look all that great at first and neither did Eli Manning. In fact, most QBs don't. What do we gain out of Shaun Hill (who's almost 30) being thrown out there to look bad? We aren't getting anything out of it. We already KNOW that he isn't the QB of the future, right? I mean, can we say that's a given? OK, do we know that Smith isn't, for sure? How about Davis? Just seems to make sense to me to put the younger backup in if your starting QB is older and stinking it up. I'd give him a few more weeks.

it gets worse every week
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

THANK! YOU!

it gets worse every week

And I'm not even a Smith supporter.
"When Given The Opportunity!"... Thats all i heard yesterday when listening to conversations made by commentators, Pre-game, half-time, and post-game report. Hill is our starter, and even tho the O-line played bad, there are many other teams out there with a bad line and their Qb can make the plays that he is given.

When the Oline did hold up and no i didnt count how many times. The issue is that when you have a shot take advantage of it. He went down the field a few times, but most throws were over, or behind the receiver. Josh morgan Td was a short throw. He and VD were out of Sync, and when he did throw the ball, i noticed that most completions, where when throwing where he's at his most comfortable, and thats slants, and dumpoffs.

I have to say that I agree with Sing's reason for keeping Hill in the game. He won the competition and this is who Sing chose to help lead this team , and so so far we're 3-2(with a lot of help from the running game). This was a game that many fans didnt want, and i actually wanted to see. (Not us get our asses handed to us, but a tough fight.) I have to say it sucks we loss, but just like the Vikings game, we played a team that aint afraid to actually take advantage of our weaknesses, take advantage of our turnovers and mistakes, and like Sing says with us, aint afraid to hit us in the mouth.

Not time to press the panic button yet, but maybe time to unlock the case. Hill has to show that he's more than a game manager. I think if Hill continues to lose against proven teams, but have great production against horrible ones, then Sing may make a Qb change, but i say give the guy a few more games, and when Gore gets back, if it's Gore that has a few big runs, but Hill doesn't put enough TD's as even he said on the board, then make a switch.

Even the guy on the sidelines yesterday said, even tho i know he didnt mean sit Hill for the rest of the season, he said and i quote, "This offense needs some type of spark to help out the defense. Maybe they should bring in Alex Smith." I say give Hill a little more time tho to prove himself against good teams, and make the plays when he has an opportunity to make them, and the o-line holds. At times they completely broke down, just like in previous weeks, but when they do hold, he has to take more chances farther down the field, accurately.
Hill is an Okay QB, he is not good enough to over come a bad game plan and weak receivers! The line play and WR play on this team is embarrassing!, and yes we could use a real NFL QB to bad we don't have any on the roster!
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
"When Given The Opportunity!"... Thats all i heard yesterday when listening to conversations made by commentators, Pre-game, half-time, and post-game report. Hill is our starter, and even tho the O-line played bad, there are many other teams out there with a bad line and their Qb can make the plays that he is given.

When the Oline did hold up and no i didnt count how many times. The issue is that when you have a shot take advantage of it. He went down the field a few times, but most throws were over, or behind the receiver. Josh morgan Td was a short throw. He and VD were out of Sync, and when he did throw the ball, i noticed that most completions, where when throwing where he's at his most comfortable, and thats slants, and dumpoffs.

I have to say that I agree with Sing's reason for keeping Hill in the game. He won the competition and this is who Sing chose to help lead this team , and so so far we're 3-2(with a lot of help from the running game). This was a game that many fans didnt want, and i actually wanted to see. (Not us get our asses handed to us, but a tough fight.) I have to say it sucks we loss, but just like the Vikings game, we played a team that aint afraid to actually take advantage of our weaknesses, take advantage of our turnovers and mistakes, and like Sing says with us, aint afraid to hit us in the mouth.

Not time to press the panic button yet, but maybe time to unlock the case. Hill has to show that he's more than a game manager. I think if Hill continues to lose against proven teams, but have great production against horrible ones, then Sing may make a Qb change, but i say give the guy a few more games, and when Gore gets back, if it's Gore that has a few big runs, but Hill doesn't put enough TD's as even he said on the board, then make a switch.

Even the guy on the sidelines yesterday said, even tho i know he didnt mean sit Hill for the rest of the season, he said and i quote, "This offense needs some type of spark to help out the defense. Maybe they should bring in Alex Smith." I say give Hill a little more time tho to prove himself against good teams, and make the plays when he has an opportunity to make them, and the o-line holds. At times they completely broke down, just like in previous weeks, but when they do hold, he has to take more chances farther down the field, accurately.

I am an acknowledged Smith supporter and totally agree with you here. Benching HIll after one horrendous game is not a good idea - there is something to be said for stability (remember JTO got a couple games) but Shaun Hill not losing the team 3 games should not fool anyone into thinking he has arrived - it is just like his win loss record that is the BIGGEST mirage in football. If we are going to win against the Texans (Schaub is pretty good) or Chicago (Cutler is good) then he is going to have to step up - they are not the Lams they are not going to give us ST gift TD's. WE need a QB that can hit his receivers down field with some kind of consistency...
Hard to say bc of the OL play...but these types of games really show the downside to Hill's game.

Pretty much you can forget trying to comeback with his arm and that's the truth. Doesn't help that the OL doesn't block.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home