• Veteran
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Did he overthrow guys? Yes
Did he throw at the floor one too many times? Yes
Did the o-line give him great protection? No
Did receivers drop passes? I don't remember

and that is the truth!

I didn't like his performance, but I blame the loss on our defense.

So Hill can only win if the D plays lights out

yes! because his style of play can only lead us to 2-3 drives a game. And we better hope those drives results in TD's and not FG's.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Damn what does Hill have to do to get some of your guys respect? Look, he did real crappy in the first half but got his s*it together in the second. Enough said the guy gets it done.

On to Atlanta.

There are a few posters on the webzone that will never like Hill.

I think we know who they are.

What?!? I don't think ANYONE here ever said they "hated" the guy.

At risk of speaking for others, I just realize what he is. And THAT is not a good thing. What is the point of both Hill and Morgan becoming better players LAST season only to be stunted by having a weak arm delivery service under Center? I think that if this is to be Smith's last season or Davis's future then THEY should be "game managing" under Center instead. At least they would have gotten a chance to prove themselves to either the team or future teams. But nope we have to be subjected to a season(or more) of a backup pretending to be a Starter. Sounds harsh, but then again reality is a harsh woman.

It's not about hating it's about LOGIC, and that seems to be missing around here alot lately.

~Ceadder

LOL...

The OP didn't name any names; but, you feel the need to defend yourself against the post. Way to out yourself.

Out myself? Why cause I'm stickin up for "the haters"?

That's how I roll. It doesn't mean that I outed anyone, least of all myself.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by cNiner:
7-0 At Home nuf said !

7-2 now.

Not looking positive when you stop to consider that Hill rode Gore's TWO touchdowns for the Win against a injury depleted Seahawk team. Take those away and he's 6-3.

But hey he is what he is. You knew what you were gonna get with him. So much for "safe".

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Squirrel:
If these stats were posted by someone named Smith, half the Zone would be having kittens, claiming he is a bust and totally worthless. Yet, because Hill is putting up these numbers, people are happy. I just don't get it.

FYI, take a look at the bottom of the stats for passing yards:

22 Shaun Hill SF QB 66 106 62.3 26.5 700 6.6 175.0 5 1 32 30.2 50 7 1 13 93.3
23 Matt Ryan ATL QB 60 91 65.9 30.3 648 7.1 216.0 5 1 38 41.8 27 9 0 2 100.4
24 Seneca Wallace SEA QB 74 112 66.1 28.0 645 5.8 161.2 3 2 34 30.4 39T 6 0 8 82.6
25 Jake Delhomme CAR QB 54 91 59.3 30.3 601 6.6 200.3 2 7 31 34.1 32 8 0 7 54.3
26 Byron Leftwich TB QB 58 107 54.2 35.7 594 5.6 198.0 4 3 27 25.2 47 7 2 2 71.2
27 Brett Favre MIN QB 61 94 64.9 31.3 566 6.0 188.7 5 1 30 31.9 36 5 0 9 94.5
28 JaMarcus Russell OAK QB 43 108 39.8 27.0 506 4.7 126.5 1 4 25 23.1 57T 4 1 8 42.4
29 Matt Cassel KC QB 53 89 59.6 29.7 458 5.1 152.7 5 2 24 27.0 43 4 1 10 82.5
30 Chad Pennington MIA QB 51 74 68.9 24.7 413 5.6 137.7 1 2 27 36.5 21 3 0 6 76.0
31 Brady Quinn CLE QB 45 74 60.8 24.7 400 5.4 133.3 1 3 21 28.4 26T 3 0 10 62.9
32 Derek Anderson CLE QB 37 67 55.2 33.5 361 5.4 180.5 1 4 20 29.9 30 5 0 3 50.7
33 Marc Bulger STL QB 35 68 51.5 22.7 339 5.0 113.0 1 0 17 25.0 45 2 1 5 70.6

Look at the names below our boy Hill. With the exception of Favre and Ryan, I wouldn't want to be listed anywhere near those chumps.

Miami runs the Wildcat. Might explain what CP is doing down at 30. He's no chump either.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I don't know what you guys want out of the guy. Big numbers? Has he even been in a situation this year to need big numbers? Maybe Minn or Arizona. With Seattle and St. Louis, the defense played so well, he wasn't called on to do anything.

You guys are basically blaming his stats on something he has not had the opportunity to compete for. He has not needed to have a big yet thus far, so how can you blame the guy? That is like saying "I want a divorce because i THINK you are cheating." with no substantial proof, your claim just makes you like an... well... you know...

We aren't blaming him for things beyond his control. He's being lauded for what he CAN control.

1. Holds the ball TOO LONG. This was something the news hounds stated that they worked with him and Smith on.

2. He goes to his check down when they aren't open. Come to think of it he ALWAYS goes to his check down. Well okay he's taken maybe one shot down the field per game on the average.

3. He NEVER audibles. Which kinda explains his check down average.

4. He can't sustain drives consistently. We WIN the Minnesota game if he had one or two drives go longer than 3 downs. Yeah part of that is play calling but when you are 3rd and 10+ going to the checkdown for 5 yards is pointless. Which leads me to number 5.

5. He's easy for the Opposing Defenses. They can game plan him because they know what he can and cannot do as well as his tendencies.

Put either Davis or Smith in there and I guarantee that we'd sustain longer drives.

Squirrel made the point about Hill's yardage. I'll expand on it by pointing out that Smith's average was over 200 if I recollect correctly. I love how ALL the INTs' that Smith had were all HIS fault. People keep pointing at that lone stat and saying that "we know that Smith is not good" based on that. Nevermind that a good bunch of his INTs' came in his Rookie year in less games.

Imagine if he would have Started from opening day in '05? '06 was a damn solid year for a Sophmore QB playing behind not so great an OLine. Solid Run blocking, but the pass blocking was less than average.

And my isn't it funny how Smith backers "made up excuses" but Hill backers pretty much use the same things to deflect the doubt.

All good though. I want us to Win, but I also want to see good Football in every facet of this team. We AIN'T gettin good Football.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I don't know what you guys want out of the guy. Big numbers? Has he even been in a situation this year to need big numbers? Maybe Minn or Arizona. With Seattle and St. Louis, the defense played so well, he wasn't called on to do anything.

You guys are basically blaming his stats on something he has not had the opportunity to compete for. He has not needed to have a big yet thus far, so how can you blame the guy? That is like saying "I want a divorce because i THINK you are cheating." with no substantial proof, your claim just makes you like an... well... you know...

We aren't blaming him for things beyond his control. He's being lauded for what he CAN control.

1. Holds the ball TOO LONG. This was something the news hounds stated that they worked with him and Smith on.

2. He goes to his check down when they aren't open. Come to think of it he ALWAYS goes to his check down. Well okay he's taken maybe one shot down the field per game on the average.

3. He NEVER audibles. Which kinda explains his check down average.

4. He can't sustain drives consistently. We WIN the Minnesota game if he had one or two drives go longer than 3 downs. Yeah part of that is play calling but when you are 3rd and 10+ going to the checkdown for 5 yards is pointless. Which leads me to number 5.

5. He's easy for the Opposing Defenses. They can game plan him because they know what he can and cannot do as well as his tendencies.

Put either Davis or Smith in there and I guarantee that we'd sustain longer drives.

Squirrel made the point about Hill's yardage. I'll expand on it by pointing out that Smith's average was over 200 if I recollect correctly. I love how ALL the INTs' that Smith had were all HIS fault. People keep pointing at that lone stat and saying that "we know that Smith is not good" based on that. Nevermind that a good bunch of his INTs' came in his Rookie year in less games.

Imagine if he would have Started from opening day in '05? '06 was a damn solid year for a Sophmore QB playing behind not so great an OLine. Solid Run blocking, but the pass blocking was less than average.

And my isn't it funny how Smith backers "made up excuses" but Hill backers pretty much use the same things to deflect the doubt.

All good though. I want us to Win, but I also want to see good Football in every facet of this team. We AIN'T gettin good Football.

~Ceadder

Hill is still the best we have so until the season is a wash, I think it's best to stick with him. I would like to see Davis get the chance if the time comes but hopefully it never does. I've seen 3rd string rookies on other teams look more confortable in the pocket than Smith so I wouldn't even consider him.
Hill is too mobile and his arm is too strong for the NFL
  • B650
  • Veteran
Put it this way: if Hill gets traded and goes to the Lions, for example, what would you think if we were playing them? Would you be fearful? What would your gameplan be? Seriously, let's take our homer glasses off for a minute. We can practically find someone who's been CUT and collecting dust, plug him in, and see the same results. Jeff Garcia would do the same job Hill is doing. In other words, no, I'm not happy with Hill's performance at all.
Hill was dreadful yesterday...but it's not fair to single him out when the entire offense was putrid. The OL couldn't block for the run or the pass...the receivers got no separation whatsoever. Coffee looked like the rookie he is. I don't think Hill's the future QB...and I'm not convinced Alex is, either. If he continues to suck, then Singletary will have to replace him. 'Til yesterday, the defense has played well and kept the team in all the games...not yesterday, they got behind big early and when they had a shot to get back in it, they coughed it up or allowed the Falcons to make big plays. Shaun has his limitations...but I just don't think Davis is ready yet. Maybe Alex needs to get his shot...and see if he can get the offense moving. Until the OL starts playing a whole lot better, it probably won't matter much who's behind C, though.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

he did look pretty quick though when he decided to take off with the ball.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

he did look pretty quick though when he decided to take off with the ball.

What's sad is he ran for more yards than Coffee. Oh, the pain from watching this offense.
Say what you want about Hill's performance (it certainly wasn't good) but the one single thing that I will say is that Hill was the ONLY player I saw put forth one ounce of effort yesterday and he was the ONLY player that looked like he actually cared.

That was the most disappointing thing about this team yesterday, IMO.

[ Edited by ghostrider on Oct 12, 2009 at 09:31:27 ]
7-0 At Home nuf said !

7-2 now.

Not looking positive when you stop to consider that Hill rode Gore's TWO touchdowns for the Win against a injury depleted Seahawk team. Take those away and he's 6-3.

But hey he is what he is. You knew what you were gonna get with him. So much for "safe".

~Ceadder

This was Shaun's first loss at home as a starter. 7-1
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
7-0 At Home nuf said !

7-2 now.

~Ceadder

This was Shaun's first loss at home as a starter. 7-1

Losing by 35 points should be considered 2 losses.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by B650:
Put it this way: if Hill gets traded and goes to the Lions, for example, what would you think if we were playing them? Would you be fearful? What would your gameplan be? Seriously, let's take our homer glasses off for a minute. We can practically find someone who's been CUT and collecting dust, plug him in, and see the same results. Jeff Garcia would do the same job Hill is doing. In other words, no, I'm not happy with Hill's performance at all.

That's a good point, some here seem to paint Hill like a Garcia type a gamer etc, and it's not nearly close Garcia knows what he can and can't do and works his ass off to get to a level that's bearable. Hill is 6'3 220 and he can't throw half the pass that Garcia can, including accuracy he should be embarrassed
Share 49ersWebzone