LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Gores injury, a blessing in disguise?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by verb1der:
There is no such thing as a "high ankle strain".

you positively sure?

http://www.mdguidelines.com/sprains-and-strains-ankle

Read my edit...there's no such thing as a high ankle strain.

I see, so then what is it? Gore have a strain, or a high ankle sprain?....reports vary
We will continue to run even if its with Coffee.
Originally posted by Mike8016:
We will continue to run even if its with Coffee.

It's the beginning of the Glen Coffee Rookie of the Year Campaign!!!!!!! lol, what are the chances?
  • kray28
  • Veteran

you positively sure?

I see, so then what is it? Gore have a strain, or a high ankle sprain?....reports vary

The fact that they are mischaracterizing it as a "high ankle strain", and the fact that a couple of other reports are actually calling it correctly as a "high ankle sprain"....leads me to think that it's actually a high ankle sprain.

The absolute best case scenario for recovery for a high ankle sprain is in fact three weeks....that's what the Niners are putting out there right now (teams will always minimize the extent of injuries at the outset).

The absolute worst case scenario for a high ankle sprain is six months (yeah....done for the season, see ya next year).

Both absolute best and absolute worst are low probability outcomes....the most likely outcome is somewhere in between (something like 5-6 weeks is the mean recovery time).
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 9ermex:
Think about it men, early reports say that he is going to miss at least two weeks and perhaps with him out, stupid Raye will feel more inclined to call pass plays and by the time Frank comes back they figured that we have to pass to set up the run.

After 3 games is blatantly obvius that we are MUCH BETTER OFF putting the game in Hills hands instead of trying to run through 10 defenders, as good as Frank is, if you have a capable QB (and Shaun has delivered time and time again) you put the game in his hands no questions asked, i hope that we make some changes and gores injury might help our dumb coach to realize that.

Careful what to wish for , Noodle arm threw a pick into double coverage in the end zone that would have sealed the deal for Minnesota if he hadn't of taken too much time, so he got a second chance, I know he's a gamer and planned it that way

you positively sure?

The fact that they are mischaracterizing it as a "high ankle strain", and the fact that a couple of other reports are actually calling it correctly as a "high ankle sprain"....leads me to think that it's actually a high ankle sprain.

The absolute best case scenario for recovery for a high ankle sprain is in fact three weeks....that's what the Niners are putting out there right now (teams will always minimize the extent of injuries at the outset).

The absolute worst case scenario for a high ankle sprain is six months (yeah....done for the season, see ya next year).

Both absolute best and absolute worst are low probability outcomes....the most likely outcome is somewhere in between (something like 5-6 weeks is the mean recovery time).

damn that sux!!! I'm sure Gore is pissed.....hope he recovers quick....but I guess it's Coffee's show now!
ALSO, if we DO make the play offs, gore should be healthy right when it matters. if hes out a couple weeks, he will be really fresh for the second half of the season/play offs
I actually agree. Obviously, you never want to lose your star offensive player. But yesterday proved there are other guys that can make big plays and contribute.

Gore being out will allow Coffee to get some solid playtime as the feature back. Hopefully this will help his development out much sooner than anticipated. I'm also hoping to see Hill get more chances to throw the ball around.

It also doesn't hurt that next Sunday's opponent is the Rams
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Without reading through every post. You guys apparently haven't looked at this from both angles.

Yes there is a chance that we may put the ball in Hi'll hands a little more. However, now he will become the focal point and won't be doing much with the defense thinking run first. Thus making it even tougher on Hill.

Also it may be overstated that we run run run punt.

1st quarter

Quote:
# 1-10-SF 23 (14:56) 13-S.Hill sacked at SF 16 for -7 yards (69-J.Allen). FUMBLES (69-J.Allen), recovered by SF-74-J.Staley at SF 16. 74-J.Staley to SF 16 for no gain (69-J.Allen).

# 2-17-SF 16 (14:11) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to 21-F.Gore [91-R.Edwards].

# 3-17-SF 16 (14:11) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SF-13-S.Hill, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at SF 16 - No Play.

# 3-22-SF 11 (14:08) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass short left to 84-J.Morgan to SF 12 for 1 yard (52-C.Greenway).

# 4-21-SF 12 (13:34) 4-A.Lee punts 50 yards to MIN 38, Center-86-B.Jennings. 82-D.Reynaud to MIN 41 for 3 yards (56-S.McKillop).

3 drop backs lose 11 yards 3 & out

Quote:
# 1-10-SF 8 (:52) 29-G.Coffee up the middle to SF 13 for 5 yards (26-A.Winfield).

# 2-5-SF 13 (:17) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete deep right to 85-V.Davis (93-K.Williams).

# 3-5-SF 13 (:11) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short middle to 29-G.Coffee [52-C.Greenway].

# 4-5-SF 13 (:06) 4-A.Lee punts 53 yards to MIN 34, Center-86-B.Jennings. 82-D.Reynaud pushed ob at SF 34 for 32 yards (99-M.Lawson).

run pass pass 3 & out

2nd quarter

Quote:
# 1-10-SF 30 (3:21) 13-S.Hill pass short right to 84-J.Morgan pushed ob at SF 43 for 13 yards (25-T.Johnson).

# 1-10-SF 43 (2:56) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete deep right to 85-V.Davis.

# 2-10-SF 43 (2:49) 29-G.Coffee up the middle to SF 44 for 1 yard (69-J.Allen, 94-P.Williams).

# 3-9-SF 44 (2:06) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to 88-I.Bruce [91-R.Edwards].

# 4-9-SF 44 (2:02) 4-A.Lee punts 56 yards to end zone, Center-86-B.Jennings, Touchback.

pass pass run pass 4 & out

3rd quarter

Quote:
# 1-10-SF 20 (4:34) 13-S.Hill pass short middle to 85-V.Davis to SF 37 for 17 yards (26-A.Winfield). Penalty on MIN-23-C.Griffin, Illegal Contact, declined.

# 1-10-SF 37 (4:03) 29-G.Coffee left guard to SF 37 for no gain (90-F.Evans, 56-E.Henderson).

# 2-10-SF 37 (3:20) PENALTY on MIN-90-F.Evans, Encroachment, 5 yards, enforced at SF 37 - No Play.

# 2-5-SF 42 (2:54) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to Unidentified [91-R.Edwards]. PENALTY on SF-13-S.Hill, Intentional Grounding, 10 yards, enforced at SF 42.

# 3-15-SF 32 (2:50) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass short right to 24-M.Robinson to SF 40 for 8 yards (56-E.Henderson).

# 4-7-SF 40 (2:18) 4-A.Lee punts 54 yards to MIN 6, Center-86-B.Jennings. 87-B.Berrian to MIN 14 for 8 yards (24-M.Robinson). PENALTY on MIN-37-E.Frampton, Offensive Holding, 7 yards, enforced at MIN 14.

pass run pass pass 4 & out

So the theory that we run run run punt isn't true. To think putting the ball in Hill's hand (especially with no Gore) is a good thing. You'll see that that isn't true as well. He's only good for leading us to 2-3 drives per game. Contrary to popular belief, he's had his fair share of chances.

He has 82 Passing attempts this year. Eli 91, Matt Ryan 91 & Rodgers 90. That's only 3 less attempts per game then those guys. Sanchez has thrown the ball 83 times. Are all of these guys too being held back by the play calling? the answer no. The difference? These guys can do more with their opportunities and can lead more than 2 drives per game.

Putting the ball in Hill's hands is not a blessing. Losing Gore surely isn't a blessing.
gotta give credit to Mr. Hill on this one. Who's looking more comfortable with the passing game. Looks like Hill and Davis are getting along just fine!!!

WOW 2 TD passes for Vernon... Never thought i'd be saying this in the same thread for Vernon but good to see him finally playing up to his potential... and can some GIF that block he did on one of the Vikes CB?

• kray28
  • Veteran
krizay -

What you point out shows how unbalanced the offensive approach is.

Notice a lot of failed possessions (3 and outs) were one or the other (run-run-run or pass-pass-pass).

Good offensive playcalling mixes things up by keeping the defense honest....and doing the doing the counterintuitive...run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
krizay -

Notice a lot of failed possessions (3 and outs) were one or the other (run-run-run or pass-pass-pass).

Good offensive playcalling mixes things up by keeping the defense honest....and doing the doing the counterintuitive...run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run.

Only one of my examples were one or the other. The 1st drive of the game was pass pass pass.
krizay -

You're correct! We ALL can sit on our couch and can easily determine whether it will be a run or pass given the predictability of Raye's game plan. You can literally see the defense make a call and quickly (and accurately) adjust. The bottom line is that Hill and this offense is somehow succeeding INSPITE of Raye's play calling.

PS: Someone noted that Hill has had the authority to audible? Is that true b/c I certainly haven't seen in of it. The plays seem pre-determined b/c when you walk up to the line and see 9 guys sitting in the box and all blitzing on the snap right up the gut, you can't tell me any person with any sort of intelligence would stay with "a run up the middle."
Originally posted by krizay:
Without reading through every post. You guys apparently haven't looked at this from both angles.

Yes there is a chance that we may put the ball in Hi'll hands a little more. However, now he will become the focal point and won't be doing much with the defense thinking run first. Thus making it even tougher on Hill.

Also it may be overstated that we run run run punt.

1st quarter

Quote:
# 1-10-SF 23 (14:56) 13-S.Hill sacked at SF 16 for -7 yards (69-J.Allen). FUMBLES (69-J.Allen), recovered by SF-74-J.Staley at SF 16. 74-J.Staley to SF 16 for no gain (69-J.Allen).

# 2-17-SF 16 (14:11) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to 21-F.Gore [91-R.Edwards].

# 3-17-SF 16 (14:11) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SF-13-S.Hill, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at SF 16 - No Play.

# 3-22-SF 11 (14:08) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass short left to 84-J.Morgan to SF 12 for 1 yard (52-C.Greenway).

# 4-21-SF 12 (13:34) 4-A.Lee punts 50 yards to MIN 38, Center-86-B.Jennings. 82-D.Reynaud to MIN 41 for 3 yards (56-S.McKillop).

3 drop backs lose 11 yards 3 & out

Quote:
# 1-10-SF 8 (:52) 29-G.Coffee up the middle to SF 13 for 5 yards (26-A.Winfield).

# 2-5-SF 13 (:17) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete deep right to 85-V.Davis (93-K.Williams).

# 3-5-SF 13 (:11) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short middle to 29-G.Coffee [52-C.Greenway].

# 4-5-SF 13 (:06) 4-A.Lee punts 53 yards to MIN 34, Center-86-B.Jennings. 82-D.Reynaud pushed ob at SF 34 for 32 yards (99-M.Lawson).

run pass pass 3 & out

2nd quarter

Quote:
# 1-10-SF 30 (3:21) 13-S.Hill pass short right to 84-J.Morgan pushed ob at SF 43 for 13 yards (25-T.Johnson).

# 1-10-SF 43 (2:56) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete deep right to 85-V.Davis.

# 2-10-SF 43 (2:49) 29-G.Coffee up the middle to SF 44 for 1 yard (69-J.Allen, 94-P.Williams).

# 3-9-SF 44 (2:06) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to 88-I.Bruce [91-R.Edwards].

# 4-9-SF 44 (2:02) 4-A.Lee punts 56 yards to end zone, Center-86-B.Jennings, Touchback.

pass pass run pass 4 & out

3rd quarter

Quote:
# 1-10-SF 20 (4:34) 13-S.Hill pass short middle to 85-V.Davis to SF 37 for 17 yards (26-A.Winfield). Penalty on MIN-23-C.Griffin, Illegal Contact, declined.

# 1-10-SF 37 (4:03) 29-G.Coffee left guard to SF 37 for no gain (90-F.Evans, 56-E.Henderson).

# 2-10-SF 37 (3:20) PENALTY on MIN-90-F.Evans, Encroachment, 5 yards, enforced at SF 37 - No Play.

# 2-5-SF 42 (2:54) 13-S.Hill pass incomplete short right to Unidentified [91-R.Edwards]. PENALTY on SF-13-S.Hill, Intentional Grounding, 10 yards, enforced at SF 42.

# 3-15-SF 32 (2:50) (Shotgun) 13-S.Hill pass short right to 24-M.Robinson to SF 40 for 8 yards (56-E.Henderson).

# 4-7-SF 40 (2:18) 4-A.Lee punts 54 yards to MIN 6, Center-86-B.Jennings. 87-B.Berrian to MIN 14 for 8 yards (24-M.Robinson). PENALTY on MIN-37-E.Frampton, Offensive Holding, 7 yards, enforced at MIN 14.

pass run pass pass 4 & out

So the theory that we run run run punt isn't true. To think putting the ball in Hill's hand (especially with no Gore) is a good thing. You'll see that that isn't true as well. He's only good for leading us to 2-3 drives per game. Contrary to popular belief, he's had his fair share of chances.

He has 82 Passing attempts this year. Eli 91, Matt Ryan 91 & Rodgers 90. That's only 3 less attempts per game then those guys. Sanchez has thrown the ball 83 times. Are all of these guys too being held back by the play calling? the answer no. The difference? These guys can do more with their opportunities and can lead more than 2 drives per game.

Putting the ball in Hill's hands is not a blessing. Losing Gore surely isn't a blessing.

Good post man, and it goes to show that "gamer" or not, Hill isn't the kind of QB that you want to have to rely on to win you games. You think Hill thinks Gore being out is a good thing because he will be able to pass more? Hell no he doesn't, Gore is his security blanket, the guy that keeps the game from falling squarely onto his shoulders. Our OC knows exactly what he is doing, he is a professional and he knows far better how to evaluate what we have personnel wise than any of us posting here. Shaun is probably the single best backup QB in the NFL, and honestly you have to love the guys fire, but his starting for us is more a product of deficiencies of other guys than proficiencies he possesses.
Memphis9er = unabashed Hill hater

I'm at work so I don't have to break down every series, but stats doen't tell the whole story. Anybody who is watching the game can cleary see that we are way too predictable.

BTW, the firt drive should be thrown out. On the first play Allen caused a fumble (after not being called for encroachment) which set us back 7 yards (17 total). That is a deep hole to be in at the back of your own endzone where the noise is the loadest at the very first drive of the game.

Like I said, stats dont tell the whole story....
Share 49ersWebzone