LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

Gores injury, a blessing in disguise?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The blessing is that we promote Kory sheets, what our offense needs is a speed injection. We look slow and lumbering out there.

Some speed by sheets will help big time.
if the O-line is not 100% its still safer to run more than pass.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Yes, we are blessed in disguise.
For all of those clamoring to activate Sheets... Know this, HE CAN NOT BLOCK, he will be a liability in blitz pickups.. I don't see him as an every down player. Maybe a 3rd change of pace, but not every down.

Also, once you bring him up to the 53 man roster, what happens when Gore returns ina few weeks??? You can't just send him back to the PS without waiving him first.

Right now, the only way we lose him is for a team to sign him directly to their 53 man roster
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I just think it speed up the development of Glen Coffee. He did good in his first NFL game.

He did good? He had 25 carries and barely broke 50 yards! He only had a little over 2 yards a carry.

dude, we ran the same exact play 6 times and on every 3rd down. and it wasn't siguised, morgan went in motion, and the whole D brok e to the correct gap on the snap.

what happened when we ran PA out of that formation? a little dump off type pass to hill for 15 yards.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I agree with the OP....I think we did pretty good without Gore out there yesterday.

With no Frank Gore up the middle crutch, and Coffee being a rookie enigma at this point, there's little choice but to open up the passing game. The reason they are balking though is that the passing game they have in mind (the Sid Gilman offense) doesn't fit the personnel they have, especially the QB they have). If they had a rocket armed QB (what Smith was supposed to be), then it might have been fine. But they have Hill....weaker arm, but accurate on short to intermediate type passing.

Our receivers are capable....and if Raye was willing to use his imagination some, we have the serviceable pieces to run a stripped down WCO.

Three step drops, swing and circle passes to the backs, quick slants to the WRs and Davis.....I have no doubt that Hill could excel in that type of offense.
We won't be consistently successful until this offense shows more vesatility. NFL defenses are just too good for that.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
For all of those clamoring to activate Sheets... Know this, HE CAN NOT BLOCK, he will be a liability in blitz pickups.. I don't see him as an every down player. Maybe a 3rd change of pace, but not every down.

Also, once you bring him up to the 53 man roster, what happens when Gore returns ina few weeks??? You can't just send him back to the PS without waiving him first.

Right now, the only way we lose him is for a team to sign him directly to their 53 man roster

Great point. Which brings me to mine. I believe people here are belittling how important Gore is to our passing game. Yes, he is a good receiver out of the backfield but I am referring to his blocking in blitz pickup. If we decide to do more 5 step drops, expect the sacks/pressure to increase drastically because of Gore's absence to pick up blitzes, which consequently will increase the number of turnovers.
With Gore gone-and a banged up oline-I believe we stick to running the ball more than ever. Let our D win us the games. There is nothing wrong with that.
[ Edited by YouGotGored on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Also here's a bit of a reality check on high ankle sprains....if you guys think that Gore is only going to be out 3 weeks, you're kidding yourselves. Expect Gore to be out close to 5-6 weeks which will be about 5 games for us.

High ankle sprains are some of the slowest healing injuries there are. And the fact that Gore went an reaggravated in a game yesterday basically resets the clock on the injury. Bottomline, he's not coming back real soon....and if you try rushing him back, then you're running a serious risk of losing him for longer and you're also going to get him at less than 100%.

The best course of action is to keep him out for as long as it takes to heal up properly. Problem is, getting him back to 100% will take half the season. So the best thing the Niners can do is start getting used to playing without him.
Originally posted by kray28:
Also here's a bit of a reality check on high ankle sprains....if you guys think that Gore is only going to be out 3 weeks, you're kidding yourselves. Expect Gore to be out close to 5-6 weeks which will be about 5 games for us.

High ankle sprains are some of the slowest healing injuries there are. And the fact that Gore went an reaggravated in a game yesterday basically resets the clock on the injury. Bottomline, he's not coming back real soon....and if you try rushing him back, then you're running a serious risk of losing him for longer and you're also going to get him at less than 100%.

The best course of action is to keep him out for as long as it takes to heal up properly. Problem is, getting him back to 100% will take half the season. So the best thing the Niners can do is start getting used to playing without him.

But ....isn't reported as a "STRAIN", and not a "SPRAIN"!?....which is a less serious injury?

• kray28
  • Veteran
There is no such thing as a "high ankle strain".

An ankle strain refers to damage (via stretching) to muscles and tendons.

An ankle sprain (specifically a high ankle sprain) refers to damage/tearing of ligaments connecting the the bones (fibula/tibia) to the ankle joint.
[ Edited by kray28 on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM ]

you positively sure?

http://www.mdguidelines.com/sprains-and-strains-ankle
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Maybe it will turn out OK.... we'll see..

It's unfortunate that Gore got hurt, but good teams overcome injuries, even to their top players. This will be a test for us to see exactly how well we respond to this bit of adversity.

I think that Coffee can step up and do a good job of filling in. He played OK against the toughest run defense we will face all year. That's a rough way to get your feet wet.

Hopefully, this will force Raye and the offensive philosophy to become more balanced. I never liked the idea that 60-40, run first team, and that Gore would be the bell cow.

I agree this will be a test in adversity ...... and may we become a more balanced offense.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:

you positively sure?

http://www.mdguidelines.com/sprains-and-strains-ankle

Read my edit...there's no such thing as a high ankle strain.
Gores injury is because we are treating him like a battering ram. And if we dont start passing more then Gore will be injured all year long from getting hit by all 11 defenders every play. Gore was over 200 yds and the game was in the bag yet we are still ponding him up the middle. Why? This injury should have never happend and it will continue to happen if we dont take some of this heavy load off of Frank.
Share 49ersWebzone