LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Gores injury, a blessing in disguise?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
That's a good point. I remember in 1997 Jerry Rice got hurt and a lot of people gave up on us. Well, a young WR by the name of Terrell Owens stepped right in and we did just fine. Yes, we lost in the NFC Championship, but we still had a good year and we found out that we had a pretty good WR in Terrell Owens.

We can use this to our advantage, but Coffee has to be able to run the ball or it's going to be difficult to pass. Hopefully we bring up Sheets to help the running game out.

I think Vernon Davis is going to carry much of the load until Gore returns, which could be another positive.
never a blessing in disguise when our star player is injured...oh well, this is why Coffee was drafted, he needs to step up now while Gore is down
and another thing is that we aren't playing mega big opponents while he is out, so if ne time of the season is good to get some R and R, this is it......
Originally posted by B650:
That's a good point. I remember in 1997 Jerry Rice got hurt and a lot of people gave up on us. Well, a young WR by the name of Terrell Owens stepped right in and we did just fine. Yes, we lost in the NFC Championship, but we still had a good year and we found out that we had a pretty good WR in Terrell Owens.

We can use this to our advantage, but Coffee has to be able to run the ball or it's going to be difficult to pass. Hopefully we bring up Sheets to help the running game out.

I think Vernon Davis is going to carry much of the load until Gore returns, which could be another positive.

I hope so, Vernon Davis is starting to finally look like the player we've been waiting to see since he was drafted
Originally posted by STNiner:
and another thing is that we aren't playing mega big opponents while he is out, so if ne time of the season is good to get some R and R, this is it......

We play Atlanta in 2 weeks
hopefully. But i'm worried that Raye will just run his plays as if Gore was in the backfield and have Coffee run them.
  • TXNINERFAN
  • Info N/A
Not a blessing...the offense runs through Gore. It showed that we could move the ball through the air at times, but obviously not enough because we stunk it up on third downs. That is what really killed us. Had we been able to convert in that last drive, we could have just ran out the clock. Coffee's numbers were horrendous. I'm curious, since Gore is injured, will Sheets be activated to play in the next couple of weeks? I think that the next couple of weeks are winnable without Gore, but at the same time, It makes me wonder what else our passing game can do. I just seriously hope that since Davis had a big day, it makes the defenses we will be facing know that we have another threat with him and respect us a bit more.
[ Edited by TXNINERFAN on Sep 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM ]
Disagree.

It sure didn't help today, did it? Gore is out, Raye still runs the next RB through the middle against 8 man fronts.

I would like to see the ball in Hill's hands more.

-9fA
Its funny the opening poster brought this up; my Dallas Cowboys friend said the exact same thing. He said that their passing game needs to open up because it can move the ball. (He said he felt bad for us on this loss.)
More Vernon Davis an Morgan please!

Dude not to be a downer but I wouldnt take any conference game for granted and the falcons are pretty darn good
Never like to see our player get hurt...especially our main offensive weapon......just goes to show you....we rely too much on Gore to bail Jimmy Fester out.....If we are gonna run....then we need power and beef upfront...not Sims and a O line that cant sweep or pull
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Disagree.

It sure didn't help today, did it? Gore is out, Raye still runs the next RB through the middle against 8 man fronts.

I would like to see the ball in Hill's hands more.

-9fA

No doubt, but after seeing Coffee go for 2.2 yards a carry and having time to game plan for a week, I pray we see something diffrent.
Originally posted by filthydogma:

Dude not to be a downer but I wouldnt take any conference game for granted and the falcons are pretty darn good

True, but the Rams are crap and our D should be able to shut them down completely. Falcons will be tough, but then we have a bye. The point is, the time isn't horrible for something like this to happen. It's much better to happen now than a three game stretch in the middle of the season (toughest part of schedule).
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I just think it speed up the development of Glen Coffee. He did good in his first NFL game.

He did good? He had 25 carries and barely broke 50 yards! He only had a little over 2 yards a carry.
Share 49ersWebzone