LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Stop blaming Raye . . .

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Since no one has done it yet, as far as I know..

"LEAVE JIMMY RAYE ALONE!!!"

But seriously.. We need more of a killer instinct. More screens, including to the WR's.

Where are the slants? Where are the pick-routes? We're running the most simplistic, vanilla looking formations and plays I've seen. It's almost as if we're still in the pre-season at times.

lol
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Raye did a good job calling plays. We were up against one of the toughest D's in the league and probably the worst D for our team to go against in terms of matchups.

Then we lose Gore. Then we lose several O-lineman. We still put up 17 pts and we have the Vikings right where we wanted them.

Raye didn't let Favre drive 80 yrds for the game winning drive...We are a defense-oriented team, a defensive team can't let that happen.

See, i think that Raye should have called a pass on the 3rd down on the 2nd last series.

I thought we had a far greater chance of achieving the 1st down through the air than the ground. Everybody absolutely KNEW that Raye was calling up a running play on 3rd down. And at that point, with how our running game was going, i would have bet almost anything that we weren't going to pick up the 1st down...and we didn't.

To me, that was the perfect time to surprise them with a pass.

-9fA
Originally posted by Pogity:
I don't know that I would change anything after this game. We won 2 games using largely the same philosophy, and it worked against the Vikings, the game was a toss-up.

I think we're getting better. I'm more optimistic about this year now, after a loss, than I was after we beat the Cardinals.

You wouldn't change play calls on the last 2 drive???? Those play calling were so damn predictable...
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by tommyncal:
. . . . he is calling the plays that Singletary wants. This is Singletary's philosphy . . conservative, conservative and more conservative. Singletary could override any call that Raye calls. Singletary has done a remarkable job, but I am having trouble getting onboard his bandwagon. You need a qb that defenses have to game plan for. These are the 49ers, where's our legacy?? The game is there to be won with a simple short pass and they can't, or choose not to, make a first down! That's alot of pressure to be put on any defense game after game. Singletary needs to change or the Scott needs to tell him to change.

You new guys, I swear.

I dont think his post is that far off.. Stop with the (New Guys Crap) Its old and childish

If you and the other dude are having problems getting on-board, it's simple - don't get on board, dude.

Seconded

And that's no knock against new guys. For too, too many years it has been too negative around here - for good reason. Even though we loss today, we and the team should keep they're heads up. Changes will be made. Look, remember last week and all those stupid Wildcat/Taser play calls? Obviously Sing stepped in and put a muzzle on that bullsh*t, because there was no Taser play calls today. Even though we lossed, what we have this season is for real.

I dont agree with a lot of whats said in posts, I just get tired of the Newbs,new guys and all the like comments. What purpose does that serve. My apologies to you dude and Mr seconded
Here's our playbook:

1 wildcat.
1. morgan motion/squat down play to Gore up the middle
1. vernon davis seam up the middle
1. screen to moran norris
1. beautiful deep dig route to Isaac Bruce.
1. Pitch to the outside

but dont blame raye, its not his fault our offense runs 7 plays. hes definitely not the offensive coordinator.
We don't have the playmakers to be anything other than conservative.
the problem with raye is his offense is too predictable. He needs to switch it up. Nothing wrong with running the ball but when you become predictable it makes it very tough for the offense.

We need different formations because it doesn't look like we have many on the running side and when we lineup with a running formation, we run the ball. We can't do that. We have to run, play-action pass, screen etc.... The colts proved it today that you don't need to completely establish the run to pass, just make the correct throws with play action and the defense will not commit like they have against us.
. . . . he is calling the plays that Singletary wants. This is Singletary's philosphy . . conservative, conservative and more conservative. Singletary could override any call that Raye calls. Singletary has done a remarkable job, but I am having trouble getting onboard his bandwagon. You need a qb that defenses have to game plan for. These are the 49ers, where's our legacy?? The game is there to be won with a simple short pass and they can't, or choose not to, make a first down! That's alot of pressure to be put on any defense game after game. Singletary needs to change or the Scott needs to tell him to change.

It isn't SIngletary's fault we have the 2 of the worst QB's in the league and a Rookie. It is Scotty Mcloughlin. IF we had a legit QB (Eli Manning, Rothliesberger, someone of that caliber FA's next year) we could win a superbowl with this defense and Coach Sing. I firmly believe this.
Whether it's Raye or Singletary, I don't agree with five straight runs at the end of the game. That's playing right into the Vike's hands...especially with Favre's history of beating us like a drum, you've got to be a little more imaginative at that point. A simple toss to a RB or TE is low-risk and with a 1st down you keep Favre & Co. on the sideline and win the game. However, overall, given we lost Gore early on, it was a heckuva an effort by our guys. They definitely could've won this game...it's a very tough loss, but I do agree w/Coach, we'll see them again in the playoffs.
Mike Martz would not have lost this game.

Oh wait........

a playaction on our second to last drive would've been great. they new we were going to run the clock out.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

It isn't SIngletary's fault we have the 2 of the worst QB's in the league and a Rookie. It is Scotty Mcloughlin. IF we had a legit QB (Eli Manning, Rothliesberger, someone of that caliber FA's next year) we could win a superbowl with this defense and Coach Sing. I firmly believe this.

Totally agree . . . however, do you believe that if McCloughan had traded for Cutler, that Singletary would open up the offense? That he would change his philosphy because he had a legit QB? Or do you think that he told McCloughan don't bother getting Cutler, I just want a game manager? If the 49ers get a quality QB and Singletary opens up the offense I would be all over it. The point of the whole thread was, not that I support Raye, and it wasn't just about this game, the philosphy of Singletary offense. Only time will tell . . . I just want to watch a feared offense again!
  • superkev49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
I posted this in another thread, but i wanna challenge the person who made this thread to find fault in my post:

Here's our playbook:

1 wildcat.
1. morgan motion/squat down play to Gore up the middle
1. vernon davis seam up the middle
1. screen to moran norris
1. beautiful deep dig route to Isaac Bruce.
1. Pitch to the outside

oh and he ran a play action off of the motion squat by morgan twice, and it got like 6 yards. Thats probably a good reason why we didnt win the game, but i've been wrong before. Go watch the game again, but jsut watch our offense, and you'll notice how often he uses those 6-7 plays, its a joke.

Couldn't agree more with this poster. It's like we're playing Madden with most of the playbook missing. All the runs between the tackles with the same formation. And worse, it's like someone's little 4 year old brother playing Madden with most of the playbook missing FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! i.e. 100% running when in the lead, and 100% passing when behind.
twice now we've been behind late in the game (Cards/Vikings) and decided to suddenly go passing every down and, to Hill's credit, it has worked. But then as soon as we got the lead we went straight back to running the football EVERY down.
this isn't NFL playcalling, it's high school.
where is the play action? at the moment defenses are commiting so much to the run that on the one or two occasions that Hill ran a playaction, especially with a bootleg in the opposite direction to the run-fake, the QB found himself in loads of room and the D had bitten big style. Why not use that more? It might mean the D can't commit so much to the run and we might break a few.
How about 4 WRs to spread the D and if they respond trying a run up the middle in that formation? How about something to take advantage of fact they were stuffing the box? How about a sweep? A crossing route? A flea flicker? Like I keep saying, if I can predict the play 70% of the time before the snap, professional D-coordinators must be loving it.
And how did we drive down the field and score those touchdowns? BY THROWING THE FOOTBALL. So why did he call 6 consecutive run plays on the last two drives of the game? I blame Jimmy Raye. If he wasn't so stubborn with the run, he would realize that our passing game is what was working.
I agree that we were too predictable and if you noticed the Colts threw for a first down in order to keep the ball and run out the clock. The Cowboys used to throw for a first down in order to close out games and I think that's why we lost because we gave Favre two chances and you can't do that.

Originally posted by Thizz415:
the problem with raye is his offense is too predictable. He needs to switch it up. Nothing wrong with running the ball but when you become predictable it makes it very tough for the offense.

We need different formations because it doesn't look like we have many on the running side and when we lineup with a running formation, we run the ball. We can't do that. We have to run, play-action pass, screen etc.... The colts proved it today that you don't need to completely establish the run to pass, just make the correct throws with play action and the defense will not commit like they have against us.
Share 49ersWebzone