LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Who is to blame for 49ers loss to Vikings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who is to blame for 49ers loss to Vikings?

Let's focus on the positives.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
You can't point the finger at one person.

While it is easy to blame Roman, he had very good coverage on the play, and the ball was thrown in the perfect spot and the catch was phenomenal. Anybody who has played CB or S can tell you that it is nearly impossible to have complete blanket coverage on a WR once the QB has a large time to throw the ball. He was very close to the play.

Something that is more significant to me was the difference in third down convergance. The Vikings were 10/20, 50%. The Niners- 0/11. Besides the obvious difference of Favre, the Niners have to find some weapons at WR (I have been saying this for some time), in order to get teams to stop stacking the box, which limits our run game, and stretch the ball downfield. Davis was the most effective of the players in stretching the defense, but the other wideouts are simply catching the balls on ten yard out patterns. The passing game must be more dynamic with playmaking WR's. Right now, we don't have anyone that scares the defense.

So, whether that player is Crabtree, or Dez Bryant next year, or a free agent, the team has to find someone to keep defenses honest.

I agree with you that a playmaker at reciever could make a difference. However, your OC has to trust the QB to make plays as well. Look what Hill did that one drive. It was the same Minn defense playing with the same aggressive mentality. Except we actually let Hill make the decisions, and it panned out.

We dont have the best receivers, but Bruce and Morgan are more than adequate. Raye needs to lay off this pisspoor conservative mentality and mix it up a bit.

I'll say this about the Hill, Morgan and Bruce combo: right now they are not cutting it. Whether the guys are not getting open, Hill not having confidence in the guys, or some combination of both, the team is simply not getting enough production at WR. Only 6 catches today, to go along with 4 total last week. Zero TD's through three games. And, defenses that continue to stack eight in the box.

Someone who scares defenses is going to make them honest, back away from the line of scrimmage, and allow our running game to work. Morgan and Bruce do not seem to be the guys right now.
Roman blew it. He had good coverage and just misplayed the ball. In any other situation Brett doesn't even try that throw. In desperation he did it and Roman blew it.
The team lost this one, the team!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda!
I think that ONE first down by the 49er's on their next to last possession would have eaten up the clock. This is where Rayes offensive calling got them into trouble and gave the ball back to the Vikings.

Also, ONE last major pass rush on that last play by the vikings could have prevented Bret Farve from throwing the long bomb. With just a few seconds to go, he may have been forced to throw a shorter pass to whatever receiver he could find open. And perhaps that could have killed the clock.

But this is all hindsight because in the end' the element of luck came into play. After all, what are the odds of throwing a Hail Mary pass and completing it?

Inspite of it all, the 49er's have proven that they can play with ANYBODY, and all you Shaun Hill haters should give him a little slack. HE HAS DONE A SUPERB JOB OF MANAGING THE GAMES AS ASKED! ... and with the exception of a MIRACLE, he would have won this one as well!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 27, 2009 at 3:37 PM ]
Hill doesn't have the arm to scare them out of putting 8 men in the box. Even if we find a deep threat like Jones I don't believe Hill can Make the deep throws with any consistency plus the O-line has to give time neither of which are happening now. Oh and for the loss, not being able to run out 1:56 and Mark Roman could see the pass coming and looked lost his feet never left the ground. Personally Sing says I want winners, Mark Roman is not one. They should leave him in Minn.
Farve. Guy made an unbelievable play like he always does against the Niners. When will this guy retire already.
Alex Smith.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Hill doesn't have the arm to scare them out of putting 8 men in the box. Even if we find a deep threat like Jones I don't believe Hill can Make the deep throws with any consistency plus the O-line has to give time neither of which are happening now. Oh and for the loss, not being able to run out 1:56 and Mark Roman could see the pass coming and looked lost his feet never left the ground. Personally Sing says I want winners, Mark Roman is not one. They should leave him in Minn.

That is the most disturbing fault. Its not like he was asked to cover anyone...just play deep and don't allow anyone open in the end zone.

On one camera angle, you can clearly see Roman looking at the ball coming right towards him. He made a s**tty break on a ball that was coming right to him from 40 yards away.

This is our free safety? Get him the f**k out of here.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A

I counted 9 in the box at least a dozen times. We get no respect.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Raye 35% - Game plan and play calling for the most part -

Singletary 15% - Could've told Raye to kick it up a notch

Mark Roman 25% - For the time he was given, he gave up some big plays

Manusky 25% - Vikings game winning drive, nuff said.
Roman didn't knock the pass down, break it up once it got into the WRs hands OR push him out (no more force out rule)

he lost the game
[ Edited by RonMexico on Sep 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM ]
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Alex Smith.

cosign
Originally posted by SFATeflonDon:
I feel that after we got the lead, we didnt wanna do sh*! on offense. 3 and outs wit run, run run are whack. Where the hell is the play action. Obviously we got a rookie Rb and hill was awesome in the second half... For God sakes throw a 5 yard pass and we could have won the game. I blame jimmy RAYE .

F: All of the Above

We lost. It's a team game.

Was it bad play calling, or execution?

1 first down and we win (next to last possession)

Hey, we lost in the last 2 seconds, on the road,to a playoff caliber team - it could be worse.
Originally posted by Pogity:

I counted 9 in the box at least a dozen times. We get no respect.

That has been the biggest problem all year. The Cards shut us down, and the Vikes shut us down.

The main reason Gore was able to go crazy against the Seahawks was the runs up the middle against the heart of the defense. The Seahawks best DT, Brandon Mebane, was injured and did not play. The guys tore up the interior line, and he busted through for the long runs.

Heaven forbid we run off tackle. There are simply way too many guys in the box. Sometimes, we can get through the line quickly in a run up the middle, but often times an untouched defensive back is coming off the edge to make a play behind the ball, simply because we don't have enough bodies.

Offenses punish teams that stack this many guys with their WR's. And, these guys are not scaring anyone right now. Something has to change, or teams are going to continue to shut down our run nearly every week.
Share 49ersWebzone