LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

When a Loss is a Win

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am not a moral victory type of guy. We still have a 1 in our loss column.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
There is no such thing as a good loss.

The team would have lost by more than a TD without the blocked field goal. That was a 10 point swing.

The bottom line is that we were beat by a better team, but still played tough.

The team would have won by 24 if you take away all of the Vikes points. Are you kidding me with your rationale? The blocked FG is called a good play and part of the game. And it's no fluke seeing as how this team has a history of blocked kicks and returning them for TD's. The fact is they did block the FG and it was a 10 point swing. I fail to see your point. You want to say we got beat by a better team that fine, but to dismiss the blocked kick like that is ridiculous.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

The team would have lost by more than a TD without the blocked field goal. That was a 10 point swing.

The team would have won by 24 if you take away all of the Vikes points. The blocked FG is called a good play and part of the game. And it's no fluke seeing as how this team has a history of blocked kicks and returning them for TD's. The fact is they did block the FG and it was a 10 point swing. I fail to see your point. You want to say we got beat by a better team that fine, but to dismiss the blocked kick like that is ridiculous.

exactly, if you wanna play that game then what about that Harvin KR? Take that away if you are going to take our blocked kick

or how about that Spencer flag that gave them 3 free points? I don't believe much in "moral victories" but still you can't say the Vikings were the much better team, that's just Favre being Favre, if Tarvaris was in that game no way they win.
ZRF, your comment re: "our inept offense" brings this question to mind:

What if Jimmy Rae and bigMike had had a season under their belts, would the play calling have been a bit different? Frankly i think that when those two review the game films, reassess the outcome, realize we had Vikes on the ropes, i bet next time around, with 2 mins to go, a pass, maybe even more than one, would be in the mix. It was conservative all the way, but they didn't factor in Favre, and hopefully , esp bigMike, will see that the 9ers basically handled Favre most of the game with out and out 5 man passrush(or more), they beat him up, and Favre didn't like it, nor did he play all that well. Early in the game he threw 6 or 7 bad passes consecutively.

My hope is that they take away the lesson, "Playing not to lose, esp at end of game, is a sure fire way to lose". Put into context, they basically had Favre beat until they let up on him...yes, the last play of the drive, they did bring pressure. Problem is, they should have been doing that when the drive started, 6 plays before. It will be interesting to see if bigmike learned his lesson. My gut says yes.
Originally posted by OO9ers:
I am not a moral victory type of guy. We still have a 1 in our loss column.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I love this team.....

I HATE THIS OL.

Lol, what are you talking about? If it wasn't for a loss, plenty of teams wouldn't have been the champions at the end of the season.

Example, Tebow's Gators, remember 2 years ago? (or last year) after their loss Tebow's speach? How about the Giants 2 years ago who started off 0-2 and got inspired after their locker room talk?

Pretty sure there's also more instances when a loss was good.
A loss is never a win, but there were a lot of positives that the 9ers can take out of the game and they may even make them play better in the future.
There is no such thing as a good loss. Every team except bout 5 can take positives out of a loss. But it's still a loss.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

So, explain to me why you subtract the blocked field goal? You think it was lucky? You think it was luckier than Favre's last pass? Seemed to me after the game that they were the ones who thought they were lucky.

He's negative. It seems there are a few "fans" on here who would rather doubt everything 49er and touch only on the negative aspects of events.

Yeah, ok without the blocked fg we would've got our butts kicked, but we didn't. Had Dre Bly intercepted that pass towards the end we would have won by double digits, but we didn't. What's the point?

I don't think anyone is trying to imply that 4-12 record full of "moral victories" will get you in the playoffs, because of course it won't. But to not recognize positives from that game is both foolish and blind. Singletary seem's to be handling this well based on from what is being reported. You don't tear your team apart after an effort like that. Losing is a part of life. Learning from it is what seperates winners from losers. This team will learn and grow stronger because of this game.

Share 49ersWebzone