No,we'd be 0-2 if we didn't have that D

GO NINERS!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by fan49:
and to any numbnuts that said no, wtf has hill done? jumped on frankies back, thrown a few short passes. hes not even getting 200 yards a game. prolly not even 150 yard avg. so so far alex played better in 07 than hill is right now! i remember some bombs to both ab's..... i dont see hill doing anything like that.

False: check out their percentages and rating.

i meant 06 which is the only year u can judge him off of.

Even then.

joe so sarcasm aside, do you not agree that the box would not be as stacked if alex were in there beacause he can throw the deep ball? and better imo from mid to deep.

The box has always been stacked against Alex. Remember, he's not an accurate thrower, even on the deep balls.

Ah, talking about stats without showing the stats. A webzone forum staple.

Since I am bored, I will help you all out.

Let's just say that '06 is the only year we can judge Smith on. And we'll use last year '08 to judge Hill, since that was the most games he played in one season thus far...

Smith in '06 averaged 180 yards per game passing, one TD & one int per game. He had about 28 passing attempts per game for an average of 6.5 yards per completion with a 58.1% completion percentage. His total season rating was 74.8

Hill in 08 averaged 227 yards per game passing, 1.4 TDs & .9 int per game.
He had about 32 passing attempts per game for an average of 7.1 yards per completion with a 62.8% completion percentage. His total season QB rating was 87.5.

Now taking all the fan passion out of the debate, which guy looks better?
[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM ]
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It is totally ridiculous how some of you can bag on Smith after the way the former regime handled his development. You guys act like it is his fault that he didn't succeed, when it has everything to do with the way he was mishandled. As far as the talent level being the same as it was when he last played...anyone that thinks it is the same (or worse) needs to take a minute and try to regain their touch with reality. Hill didn't outplay Smith this preseason, in fact he mostly looked worse than Smith, and he definitely has not lit up the world to this point, he hasn't even looked as good as he did last year. I give him credit for not making mistakes to this point, but Smith could do everything that Hill has done to this point and probably more, and may be the better long term option of the two. I just hope he keeps on working with the QB coach to get back into game shape. Like it or not Hill barely won the starting spot from a guy that had been out for 18 months with a major shoulder injury, and kinda got it by default. He surely didn't play any better than Smith, in fact, he looked more confused than Smith in the second preseason game. If Smith is so bad, then why couldn't Hill blow him away? The answer is that Smith is not as bad as some of you proclaim him to be, some of you guys are just knee jerk reactionaries that are predisposed to wildly overreact to even minor occurrences.

Smith is horrible, what are you smoking?

Must be the chronic
We'll most likely get a chance to find out before the year is over. Not about the past two games of course, but how we'll do with Alex in there.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
We'll most likely get a chance to find out before the year is over. Not about the past two games of course, but how we'll do with Alex in there.

• Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by dbdublin:

If Smith = Starter, then Season =
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
If Smith = Starter, then Season =

*waits for fan49, method, ceadder and memphis to chime in*
Originally posted by oscarug:
if Alex was starting.. no way do we win vs Arizona!

his 3-out drives all day would have tired out the D, and let the cards come back in the 4th quarter!

Alex is not only inconsistent.. but throws behind receivers and at their feet. guys never have a shot to run for more yards.

Alex is a BUST.... get over it.. he had his shot and failed. Hes a nice smart kid.. but does not have the football smarts to compete in the NFL.

The 49ers have a new Offense this year and it will probably take Smith 3-7years till hes ready to start.

Hill is the 49ers QB.. yeah he didn't have 400yards last week.. but there was no need to air it out.. we ran the ball to kill the clock. and when he was asked to throw in the 4th quarter he did just fine getting us up the field! he freaking led a 9+min drive..

the 49ers just dominated the seahawks on that 2nd half! Hill and Raye are still getting comfortable with the offense. give them a few more weeks and this team will continue to improve and open up more! and if Hill starts driving up the field more, this will be a scary team to face all year! a team that has the talent to go deep in the playoffs!

all i have to say.. in 2007 Alex Smith held the team back from winning the division/playoffs. THE KID IS A INJURED PRONE BUST.. his best year in 2007 = TONY BANKS ROOKIE year numbers....

Smith key career stats: 30starts 19TD's, 31INT's, 63.5QB rating.

Hill key career stats: 12starts 19TD's, 9INT's, 90.1QB rating.

now the key Question. who gives you a better shot to win if Hill gets injured

Nate Davis or Alex Smith?

my vote is on Davis

Hill almost threw 3 ints in the first 2 games,shaky pocket presence,ran into a couple sacks,throws to Bruce when he's double teamed,can't find an open Morgan,did have nice drive against AZ,otherwise he's doing OK

The D is the main reason for the 2-0 start

If you think he'll ever take the Niners to the SuperBowl---

so sorry
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by oscarug:
if Alex was starting.. no way do we win vs Arizona!

his 3-out drives all day would have tired out the D, and let the cards come back in the 4th quarter!

Alex is not only inconsistent.. but throws behind receivers and at their feet. guys never have a shot to run for more yards.

Alex is a BUST.... get over it.. he had his shot and failed. Hes a nice smart kid.. but does not have the football smarts to compete in the NFL.

The 49ers have a new Offense this year and it will probably take Smith 3-7years till hes ready to start.

Hill is the 49ers QB.. yeah he didn't have 400yards last week.. but there was no need to air it out.. we ran the ball to kill the clock. and when he was asked to throw in the 4th quarter he did just fine getting us up the field! he freaking led a 9+min drive..

the 49ers just dominated the seahawks on that 2nd half! Hill and Raye are still getting comfortable with the offense. give them a few more weeks and this team will continue to improve and open up more! and if Hill starts driving up the field more, this will be a scary team to face all year! a team that has the talent to go deep in the playoffs!

all i have to say.. in 2007 Alex Smith held the team back from winning the division/playoffs. THE KID IS A INJURED PRONE BUST.. his best year in 2007 = TONY BANKS ROOKIE year numbers....

Smith key career stats: 30starts 19TD's, 31INT's, 63.5QB rating.

Hill key career stats: 12starts 19TD's, 9INT's, 90.1QB rating.

now the key Question. who gives you a better shot to win if Hill gets injured

Nate Davis or Alex Smith?

my vote is on Davis

Hill almost threw 3 ints in the first 2 games,shaky pocket presence,ran into a couple sacks,throws to Bruce when he's double teamed,can't find an open Morgan,did have nice drive against AZ,otherwise he's doing OK

The D is the main reason for the 2-0 start

If you think he'll ever take the Niners to the SuperBowl---

so sorry

"Almost" ints don't count. I love how some fans reach so hard to criticize by citing "almost" mistakes.

Hell, I almost f*ck up many times in my job, but I am golden there because I rarely ever f*ck up when imprtant things are on the line, and get the job done right.

If I ever have to watch Alex get flushed out of the pocket cause he's scared than throw the ball out of bounds or to the other team than I won't watch any more niner games until he retires
Probably.

It's not as if the QB has been asked to do much..

-9fA
no, Alex Leaf lovers need to get off his jock
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
No, Alex takes chances with the football, chances that seem to turn into picks, or 3 and outs. Alex would give the opposition more possessions in a game and that puts more pressure on our D tires them out and results in losses. So I gotta say NO

Uhmmm..... just to set the record straight. Alex Smith has always been critized for being to careful and not taking chances throwing the ball.

Really I always felt Alex pressed and he needed to relax, Hill on the other hand is a little too relaxed and needs to get the ball out in anticipation of the receivers break, he lacks Alex's arm and can't "push" the ball into coverage as well as Alex.

Alex lets his arm get him in trouble, rather than throwing on the break in the route he tends to wait for the play to be over and force the ball. Until Alex can throw to the "spot" rather than the player he will be a bench warmer.

Hill is doing a fine job of "managing" games but it seems like he is on a short leash and is unwilling to take any chances.
Who's Alex Smith again?
Share 49ersWebzone