LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

I'd say we'd be 1-1.

a pick or 2 here and there in the 'zona game and we lose. Hill won the game for us.

a pick or 2 here and there in the Seattle game and we still win. Gore won the game for us.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Oh, Ninertalk!

i think im gonna start one too

If Nate Davis is starting can anybody beat us ?

Go for it. We would be 3-0 by now if he had been starting

Fact: Craptree would have signed by now if Alex started. It's the difference between a noodle arm and and rocket arm. Craptree likes rocket arms.

It comes as no shock why they ran you off the .com board.

if we were only so lucky
It is totally ridiculous how some of you can bag on Smith after the way the former regime handled his development. You guys act like it is his fault that he didn't succeed, when it has everything to do with the way he was mishandled. As far as the talent level being the same as it was when he last played...anyone that thinks it is the same (or worse) needs to take a minute and try to regain their touch with reality. Hill didn't outplay Smith this preseason, in fact he mostly looked worse than Smith, and he definitely has not lit up the world to this point, he hasn't even looked as good as he did last year. I give him credit for not making mistakes to this point, but Smith could do everything that Hill has done to this point and probably more, and may be the better long term option of the two. I just hope he keeps on working with the QB coach to get back into game shape. Like it or not Hill barely won the starting spot from a guy that had been out for 18 months with a major shoulder injury, and kinda got it by default. He surely didn't play any better than Smith, in fact, he looked more confused than Smith in the second preseason game. If Smith is so bad, then why couldn't Hill blow him away? The answer is that Smith is not as bad as some of you proclaim him to be, some of you guys are just knee jerk reactionaries that are predisposed to wildly overreact to even minor occurrences.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Sep 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Oh, Ninertalk!

i think im gonna start one too

If Nate Davis is starting can anybody beat us ?

Go for it. We would be 3-0 by now if he had been starting

Fact: Craptree would have signed by now if Alex started. It's the difference between a noodle arm and and rocket arm. Craptree likes rocket arms.

It comes as no shock why they ran you off the .com board.

if we were only so lucky

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!! He might start a thread about it.
if Alex was the starter after 2 weeks the 49ers record would be 0-4.
i like Alex Smith I wanted him to win the job.

With that being said, The coaching staff chose Shaun Hill as our QB, he is 9-3 as a starter, it may not be pretty but he gets the job done.

There is no way of knowing what our record would be if Alex was the starter, would he have made the same reads as Hill? would our game plan have been the same since Alex has a stronger arm?

This type of thread is pointless, no matter if you like Hill or not, he is our QB deal with it, he wins ball games and when it comes down to it thats all that matters.

oh yeah BTW Shaun Hills face is all symmetrical and s**t.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Of course we would have been. 2007 we had a victory because the QB put the team on his shoulders and had a game-winning drive. 2nd game QB plays more efficiently, no TDs no INTs. People complain about Smith.

2009 we have a victory because the QB put the team on his shoulders and had a game-winning drive. 2nd game !B plays more efficiently, no TDs no INTs. Hill is supposedly our savior.

Fans are fickle.
Originally posted by indianajim:
Of course we would have been. 2007 we had a victory because the QB put the team on his shoulders and had a game-winning drive. 2nd game QB plays more efficiently, no TDs no INTs. People complain about Smith.

2009 we have a victory because the QB put the team on his shoulders and had a game-winning drive. 2nd game !B plays more efficiently, no TDs no INTs. Hill is supposedly our savior.

Fans are fickle.

Word.

Bottom line: we had a crappy OC then, we have a crappy OC now.

Fortunately, our D saved our asses just like they did in the first 2 games of 07.
  • ZRF80
Would Alex Smith have converted 4 third downs in a row on that drive in Arizona ? Or is it more likely he wouldve thrown it out of bounds, just to be "safe" ? You think Smith coulf effectively lead a drive that involves at least 14-15 passing plays without turning the ball over ?

If you think Yes, the you're obviously kidding yourself. Alex Smith was inconsistent, and had to rely HEAVILY on Gore's legs to succeed. Hill has shown that he can beat a SB contender with NO running game + playing on the road.

Get over it. Alex is a bust, and that has been acknowledged by the majority of the media covering this league.
Smith did it with the 07 team, Not only would be be 2-0 we would probly be about middle of the pack or better in the passing game. well if the receivers caught the ball of course....

We would still be 2-0 with Alex Smith.

Who knows, Alex Smith may be ready next year but I still don't see him being anything more than an average QB.

Hill actually has the skill set to be a top level QB and he is doing just that so far.

I think it's obvious by now that I place the following characteristics of QB's in very high regard (in no particular order):

1. Quick Release

2. Accuracy

3. Able to release from different points accurately (intangible)

4. Able to release from different foot positions accurately (intangible)

5. Scrambling ability

6. Leadership and moxy (intangible)

7. Ball Security

8. Understanding the context of the game and momentum (intangible)

JTO also had most of these but he didn't value the context of the game and ball security.
I suspect that we would be 2-0 under Alex, yes. Our defense has surprised us all, and were far inferior when Alex was starting years ago. It wouldn't take much to mimic what Hill has accomplished this year under center. THIS is really why I wanted Alex to start. I think Smith could continue to improve each week, but I don't feel Hill will get much better than the average that he is. Still, I'm happy with the wins, and recognize that Hill has done some good things to help. If AZ and the Hawks had not struggled so much on offense, Hill would have been forced to do more, and then we see if he really can. The Vikings game should be a strong indicator of what Hill can really do. I'm curious to see if he can sink or swim.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Would Alex Smith have converted 4 third downs in a row on that drive in Arizona ? Or is it more likely he wouldve thrown it out of bounds, just to be "safe" ? You think Smith coulf effectively lead a drive that involves at least 14-15 passing plays without turning the ball over ?

If you think Yes, the you're obviously kidding yourself. Alex Smith was inconsistent, and had to rely HEAVILY on Gore's legs to succeed. Hill has shown that he can beat a SB contender with NO running game + playing on the road.

Get over it. Alex is a bust, and that has been acknowledged by the majority of the media covering this league.

He already did that against AZ in the 07 opener, including running for a big gain on third and long. Not only that but he overcame dropped passes by D Drop and Battle, so your argument is ignorant of the facts and obviously tainted by your personal dislike of Smith. Also it is not acknowledged by even a minority of the media that Smith is a bust...if so please provide a link, or even better a few links so as to show that it is an opinion shared by the majority you claim.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It is totally ridiculous how some of you can bag on Smith after the way the former regime handled his development. You guys act like it is his fault that he didn't succeed, when it has everything to do with the way he was mishandled. As far as the talent level being the same as it was when he last played...anyone that thinks it is the same (or worse) needs to take a minute and try to regain their touch with reality. Hill didn't outplay Smith this preseason, in fact he mostly looked worse than Smith, and he definitely has not lit up the world to this point, he hasn't even looked as good as he did last year. I give him credit for not making mistakes to this point, but Smith could do everything that Hill has done to this point and probably more, and may be the better long term option of the two. I just hope he keeps on working with the QB coach to get back into game shape. Like it or not Hill barely won the starting spot from a guy that had been out for 18 months with a major shoulder injury, and kinda got it by default. He surely didn't play any better than Smith, in fact, he looked more confused than Smith in the second preseason game. If Smith is so bad, then why couldn't Hill blow him away? The answer is that Smith is not as bad as some of you proclaim him to be, some of you guys are just knee jerk reactionaries that are predisposed to wildly overreact to even minor occurrences.

Memphis this is exactly why you are one of my favorite posters, not only do you have the football knowledge, but you also use Logic. Alex could have easily obtain these wins as Hill did.

What really disapointed me about hill in the last game was the fact of how fast he is to check down without even looking at the wide receiver. Not to mention the fact that if he had pocket presence then he lost it. or he just never really had it.

But hopefully he gets better cuz i just wanna Win or they give alex a shot.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ZRF80:

He already did that against AZ in the 07 opener, including running for a big gain on third and long. Not only that but he overcame dropped passes by D Drop and Battle, so your argument is ignorant of the facts and obviously tainted by your personal dislike of Smith. Also it is not acknowledged by even a minority of the media that Smith is a bust...if so please provide a link, or even better a few links so as to show that it is an opinion shared by the majority you claim.

He saved us that night
Share 49ersWebzone