LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Alex is still making more money than Shaun, LOL... stick that in your pipe and smoke it, haters.
and what has he done? He's 100% healthy and he can't even get the starting nod

thanks for validating that he's worthless being on the bench

ttyl
bb
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
smith was drafted becuase of his buzz and he is a follower....

that is what nolan wanted a follower that would not challenge him but back him blindly.

nolan drafted a whole bunch of nolan guys that he could convince to buy in to his bulls**t.

that is why we are not debating wether smith is better then manning or brees or aaron rodgers.

instead we are talking about wether or not smith in year 5 can beat out shaun aint going nowere hill.

get a grip guys.....smith is not the future.

he is going to end up cut and out of the nfl in the next 16 months.

hill would not make many of the rosters as a 3rd stringer in the nfl and smith cant beat even him out.

It is hard to see the light wearing rose colored glasses. I think I have tried explaining the same fact till I was blue in the face. It is useless lol. Some just don't get it or refuse to want to believe it.

Now here is some truly ironic words.

Maybe you should take a step back and listen to yourself from our side of things. Cause I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that many are thinking the exact same thing.

In my case it's "I really wish they would stop turning this into a Smith v. Hill free for all, and actually take the issues at face value.

That value being that if we STILL have an ineffective Offense(the stats don't lie) then what was the point of taking QB v2.0 out and Replacing him with QB v1.83 forget their names. Throw them away. They mean truckall in the grand scheme of things. The point of the matter is that QB v1.83's stats, more than likely, are as good as they are going to get. There is room for improvement but over the last two games against a tired Super Bowl team and a team who fielded alot of 2nd teamers the stats aren't very good. And we will face even tougher team's as we go along.

Oh and need I mention that the previous two teams don't see us til midway through the season again? And that they'll more than likely have their Starters back or will have gotten back on track?

It's not about supporting anyone. It's about the statistical results that we have in front of us mandating at least talking about it. Is that okay with you?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Super5:

that is what nolan wanted a follower that would not challenge him but back him blindly.

nolan drafted a whole bunch of nolan guys that he could convince to buy in to his bulls**t.

that is why we are not debating wether smith is better then manning or brees or aaron rodgers.

instead we are talking about wether or not smith in year 5 can beat out shaun aint going nowere hill.

hill would not make many of the rosters as a 3rd stringer in the nfl and smith cant beat even him out.

It is hard to see the light wearing rose colored glasses. I think I have tried explaining the same fact till I was blue in the face. It is useless lol. Some just don't get it or refuse to want to believe it.

Yeah so give it up because no one is convinced by your endless rants and riffraff(Alex this Alex that)

You don't have to listen to my riff raff. Just look at his play, lack of talent, stats, demeanor and poise it is easy to see. Mark Sanchez is a prime example, of the next level of talent coming out of college and a good barometer of how poor Smith plays.

Living in So Cal I watched all his games at USC and I knew he would translate well in the NFL because he played in a pro style offense. Even though he didn't start much more than a season.

Quite a few people in this forum disagreed with me but look at his ABILITIES transforming into the NFL. Alex played in a JUNK college offense and after 5 years he is still having trouble adapting to the speed of the NFL.

Hey look, I have a passion for winning and Alex just doesn't get it done. It isn't hating the player. We just can't win with him and I want to win. We need a real QB and he obviously doesn't bring much to the table.

Go niners!!!!

You are comparing Sanchez to Smith? Two totally different situations, the Jets are world better talent wise than any team Smith has had around him. Put Sanchez, or any other rookie QB on the 05 Niner squad and watch them suck every bit as bad. The lack of objectivity by some on this site borders on the ridiculous.

This is such a lame Alexcuse. It gives absolutely zero credit to the QB in question.

All QBs are not created equal. It's not all about the environment they're in. Some are inherently better than others.

Why is this concept so hard to follow?

So let me get this straight, you honestly believe that if Sanchez was playing on the 05 Niners team, we would have gotten different results? Why don't you send me some of that stuff you are smoking, I could use a break from reality too. He is in a much better spot to succeed than Smith was put into, there is no valid argument that I can think of to show otherwise...do you have one?

Most top pick QB's do not do well because they are usually drafted by the worst teams, in our case we also had some pretty bad coaches trying to develop said player. Sure there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Environment is everything with a rookie QB, if you do not have help, you are going to struggle, why is this concept so hard for you to follow?

Please refrain from criticizing until you can quit using such a stupid word as Alexcuse, that gives zero credit to your vocabulary.

You're missing the point, Einstein.

All QBs are not created equal. Do you get what that means? That means that some QBs are inherently more likely to be successful in the NFL. Do you have evidence that says Sanchez WOULDN'T be better on the '05 49ers? Of course you don't. You're speaking out of your ass when you try to claim that any QB would be just as bad as Smith because you can't make that comparison either.

Do you honestly think that Peyton Manning wasn't going to do better on the '05 49ers than Alex Smith?

Here's a better question for you that's broken down into layman's terms: Were Alex Smith, Peyton Manning, and Mark Sanchez equally as good when they were drafted? OF COURSE THEY f**kING WEREN'T!

So I hope this is as crystal clear now: ALL QBs ARE NOT EQUAL when drafted. Some are better than others. If you connect the dots, you'll realize that means they'd do better in any given situation. Unfortunately for us, we got duped by Urban Meyer and his circus offense led by Smith.

Again, stop making Alexcuses.
Why are we still taking about "the bust".

Actually, i'm done referring to him by name, his new name for me is "the bust", and I will call him that until hopefully we draft a real QB and his ass gets the boot from this team.

If he had to come in for Hill this season I would love to see him do something, but I feel more secure having Hill out there even though he plays like a bum for parts of the game, he comes through when we need him to.

A winning record doesn't lie, and and him and Alex Smith loses, Shaun Hill doesn't....Hill is in there for the same reason Singletary is the HC, because like Smith, Nolan couldn't win either, plain and simple...

Yeah so give it up because no one is convinced by your endless rants and riffraff(Alex this Alex that)

You don't have to listen to my riff raff. Just look at his play, lack of talent, stats, demeanor and poise it is easy to see. Mark Sanchez is a prime example, of the next level of talent coming out of college and a good barometer of how poor Smith plays.

Living in So Cal I watched all his games at USC and I knew he would translate well in the NFL because he played in a pro style offense. Even though he didn't start much more than a season.

Quite a few people in this forum disagreed with me but look at his ABILITIES transforming into the NFL. Alex played in a JUNK college offense and after 5 years he is still having trouble adapting to the speed of the NFL.

Hey look, I have a passion for winning and Alex just doesn't get it done. It isn't hating the player. We just can't win with him and I want to win. We need a real QB and he obviously doesn't bring much to the table.

Go niners!!!!

Dude Sanchez would be a permanent grease spot at our 48 yd. Line if he played on this team. That's the problem with people that use the term "Sucks" so much. Not you specifically, but in generalized terms.

People NEVER put in the time to find out WHY an individual "Sucks", they just say that so and so does and then wash their hands of the matter.

Well lemme tell ya, I hate when I hear someone use that term so liberally. It shows that America is heading backwards in intellectual power. And it's one reason why when I hear someone in their formative years use the term, I ask them what that means and why that person "Sucks" as well as the issues that lead to those reasons.

Nothing is cut and dry in this world, like "When exactly DID Saddam dispose of his WMDs', why the OFF program was such a great way to aid Germany, France and Russia; and QB'ing the San Francisco 49ers". There are counterpoints to every argument, even my own.

And the difference between all the Rookies you can think of to name and Smith is that they aren't playing behind the Line that Smith has had in front of him. You can try to make it so simplistic, but in fact it's not as simple as what the haters want others to believe on either side.

It's too bad the Smith v. Hill thread got taken down, cause I've been completely objective and fair on both sides of the issue. And I pointed out that teams would have an answer for Shaun. And they DO have one. Peace.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by alburns:
9-3 win loss for SH vs 11-19 for AS (9-14 if you throw out his rookie season).

game over.

This is the only stat that matters

And that is why you will never be confused with someone who has anything more than passing knowledge of Football.

If it's not a W you're not interested in the whys and wherefores of the game.

Sad really.

~Ceadder

well ceadder...to be perfectly honest with you, it is WINS that matter...if u don't realize that by now...that is just sad

And without solid results in the Red Zone(since Hill doesn't have the arm to take the Red Zone out of the equation) you won't have that all important W.

So see Red Zone stats matter more than you would think on the face of it. And yet again, I Win. j/k It's not about winning anything in a debate with me. But I am a LITTLE competitive. lol

~Ceadder
Originally posted by King49er:

Actually, i'm done referring to him by name, his new name for me is "the bust", and I will call him that until hopefully we draft a real QB and his ass gets the boot from this team.

If he had to come in for Hill this season I would love to see him do something, but I feel more secure having Hill out there even though he plays like a bum for parts of the game, he comes through when we need him to.

A winning record doesn't lie, and and him and Alex Smith loses, Shaun Hill doesn't....Hill is in there for the same reason Singletary is the HC, because like Smith, Nolan couldn't win either, plain and simple...

Now see I can handle that nickname.

Either it will be insightful as in...

"Inducted in the HoF" which you never know, Bradshaw & Young are in the HoF and Plunkett SHOULD be even though they were considered "busts"

And then you have the absolute of the term and he could be the worst QB in the history of our franchise(I'd be hard pressed to consider him that, but it is what it is) and be the richest "bust" to leave the NFL. Cause let's face it busts aren't busts until they leave the team or the League. And we HAVE seen alot of those over the last 10 years.

And btw a Winning record DOES lie. Only people are so enamored with it that they dismiss the stats out of hand. Stats don't lie season records do. Case in point ArifreakinZona. They had the worst road record of any Super Bowl contending team last season. 9-7 We ALMOST beat them not once but twice.

So let's take those two games to OUR favor shall we. Say we won the first meeting. Oh guess what Nolan, Martz and JTO are still in San Francisco and wow look at that winning record. 9-7. Wow I'm just so damned proud. And who'da thunk that Nolan had it in him to get the team over .500?

And no I am not suggesting that my hypothetical breakdown is in any way shape or form, reality. It's not I'm only pointing out that Arizona's record is not a true representation of that team.

All it takes is moving the decimal point one way or the other and there you go, the lies are exposed for all to see.

~Ceadder

Go niners!!!!

You are comparing Sanchez to Smith? Two totally different situations, the Jets are world better talent wise than any team Smith has had around him. Put Sanchez, or any other rookie QB on the 05 Niner squad and watch them suck every bit as bad. The lack of objectivity by some on this site borders on the ridiculous.

This is such a lame Alexcuse. It gives absolutely zero credit to the QB in question.

All QBs are not created equal. It's not all about the environment they're in. Some are inherently better than others.

Why is this concept so hard to follow?

So let me get this straight, you honestly believe that if Sanchez was playing on the 05 Niners team, we would have gotten different results? Why don't you send me some of that stuff you are smoking, I could use a break from reality too. He is in a much better spot to succeed than Smith was put into, there is no valid argument that I can think of to show otherwise...do you have one?

Most top pick QB's do not do well because they are usually drafted by the worst teams, in our case we also had some pretty bad coaches trying to develop said player. Sure there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Environment is everything with a rookie QB, if you do not have help, you are going to struggle, why is this concept so hard for you to follow?

Please refrain from criticizing until you can quit using such a stupid word as Alexcuse, that gives zero credit to your vocabulary.

You're missing the point, Einstein.

All QBs are not created equal. Do you get what that means? That means that some QBs are inherently more likely to be successful in the NFL. Do you have evidence that says Sanchez WOULDN'T be better on the '05 49ers? Of course you don't. You're speaking out of your ass when you try to claim that any QB would be just as bad as Smith because you can't make that comparison either.

Do you honestly think that Peyton Manning wasn't going to do better on the '05 49ers than Alex Smith?

Here's a better question for you that's broken down into layman's terms: Were Alex Smith, Peyton Manning, and Mark Sanchez equally as good when they were drafted? OF COURSE THEY f**kING WEREN'T!

So I hope this is as crystal clear now: ALL QBs ARE NOT EQUAL when drafted. Some are better than others. If you connect the dots, you'll realize that means they'd do better in any given situation. Unfortunately for us, we got duped by Urban Meyer and his circus offense led by Smith.

Again, stop making Alexcuses.

I never said I disagreed with you about QB's not being equal, what I said is that too many guys like you take the shortsighted point of view that success or failure at the QB position has nothing to do with the team surrounding him. The book is still out on Sanchez, he could suck balls the rest of the year for all we know. My point was that no matter who the QB was that was put into that s**tty situation was going to struggle. The end result would not be more wins because the team surrounding that QB was the worst Niner team I have seen in over 30 years of watching them play.

They are called reasons for a reason Letha.

Main Entry: 1rea·son
Pronunciation: ˈrē-zən
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English resoun, from Anglo-French raisun, from Latin ration-, ratio reason, computation, from reri to calculate, think; probably akin to Gothic rathjo account, explanation
Date: 13th century

1 a : a statement offered in explanation or justification b : a rational ground or motive c : a sufficient ground of explanation or of logical defense; especially : something (as a principle or law) that supports a conclusion or explains a fact
Originally posted by King49er:

Now see I can handle that nickname.

Either it will be insightful as in...

"Inducted in the HoF" which you never know, Bradshaw & Young are in the HoF and Plunkett SHOULD be even though they were considered "busts"

And then you have the absolute of the term and he could be the worst QB in the history of our franchise(I'd be hard pressed to consider him that, but it is what it is) and be the richest "bust" to leave the NFL. Cause let's face it busts aren't busts until they leave the team or the League. And we HAVE seen alot of those over the last 10 years.

And btw a Winning record DOES lie. Only people are so enamored with it that they dismiss the stats out of hand. Stats don't lie season records do. Case in point ArifreakinZona. They had the worst road record of any Super Bowl contending team last season. 9-7 We ALMOST beat them not once but twice.

So let's take those two games to OUR favor shall we. Say we won the first meeting. Oh guess what Nolan, Martz and JTO are still in San Francisco and wow look at that winning record. 9-7. Wow I'm just so damned proud. And who'da thunk that Nolan had it in him to get the team over .500?

And no I am not suggesting that my hypothetical breakdown is in any way shape or form, reality. It's not I'm only pointing out that Arizona's record is not a true representation of that team.

All it takes is moving the decimal point one way or the other and there you go, the lies are exposed for all to see.

~Ceadder

I here what your saying man, but for me it's all about the W.

I don't hear any Ravens fans complaining because they had 2 s**tty QB's when they won the SB.

It is what it is, and if we are to win games with Hill playing like a bum than I'll take it.

I know he's not the long term solution at QB, but until proven otherwise, he's the best option we have at QB to win games right now, I could care less who the QB is, as long as we are winning.

For a sport that only plays once a week, and only plays 16 times, the W is the ONLY thing that matters.
Memphis, I'm not saying environment doesn't matter. I'm saying you're overstating it. It's almost a Darwinian argument that I'm making. Some QBs are better adapted to play in the NFL while others aren't.

Yes environment matters. Was Aaron Rodgers put in a better situation than Smith? Yes, he was. Does that mean Rodgers would have been as putrid as Smith on the '05 9ers? No, it doesn't.

We have a great case study going on right now: Matt Stafford on the Lions. Currently, he's playing like sh!t but I think he's gonna get better.

NOBODY can argue that the 49ers in '05 were worse than the Lions of last year. They were 0-16. Let see how Stafford does.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Sep 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM ]

• TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
You do of course realize that Hill has about a 25-30 point higher career QB rating than his current backup?
And you do realize that Hill is currently the 3rd best QB in the entiire NFL on 3rd down,when it really counts,don't you ?
And you do realize that hill now has the best winning percentage of ANY 49ers QB in HISTORY ,don't you?
And you do realize that the offense will get better as the new offensive system matures ,as usually doesn't happen until about midseason of a new offense,don't you ?
And you do realize that Hill's replacement is waiting in the wings,and his name is not Alex,don't you ?
And you do realize that Hill and Davis are both light years ahead of alex is just about every aspect of the game,don't you? (except Davis will take a while to get ready,but certainly not all the time that the team has wasted on waiting on a mediocre talent like alex.
Originally posted by billybonka:
Alex is still making more money than Shaun, LOL... stick that in your pipe and smoke it, haters.

ttyl
bb

While he is healthy, he's wasn't regarded as "the safe option" to start right away. He's coming off of a lot of missed time... and they feel Hill did enough in 2008 to give him a chance. Singletary doesn't want to make the same mistake of putting Alex out there until he IS fully ready. Fortunately for us, we have a decent stop-gap QB until he is. Unless Hill suddenly raises his game and stays heathy all year, you will see your buddy Alex back in action... for better or worse.

He's not worthless on the bench. His exact worth as defined by the organization is... yep... wait for it... 5.67 million this year. That's not a number that is indicative of someone regarded as worthless. Read between the lines... Alex IS making more than Shaun... ask yourself what that's really about. Your conclusion should be that SF STILL plans on Alex being the future starter... unless Hill shocks Niner nation and somehow elevates his play by quite a bit.
Originally posted by billybonka:

ttyl
bb

While he is healthy, he's wasn't regarded as "the safe option" to start right away. He's coming off of a lot of missed time... and they feel Hill did enough in 2008 to give him a chance. Singletary doesn't want to make the same mistake of putting Alex out there until he IS fully ready. Fortunately for us, we have a decent stop-gap QB until he is. Unless Hill suddenly raises his game and stays heathy all year, you will see your buddy Alex back in action... for better or worse.

He's not worthless on the bench. His exact worth as defined by the organization is... yep... wait for it... 5.67 million this year. That's not a number that is indicative of someone regarded as worthless. Read between the lines... Alex IS making more than Shaun... ask yourself what that's really about. Your conclusion should be that SF STILL plans on Alex being the future starter... unless Hill shocks Niner nation and somehow elevates his play by quite a bit.

And I think this is the last year Smith makes anything near that in the NFL...

Go niners!!!!

Dude Sanchez would be a permanent grease spot at our 48 yd. Line if he played on this team. That's the problem with people that use the term "Sucks" so much. Not you specifically, but in generalized terms.

People NEVER put in the time to find out WHY an individual "Sucks", they just say that so and so does and then wash their hands of the matter.

Well lemme tell ya, I hate when I hear someone use that term so liberally. It shows that America is heading backwards in intellectual power. And it's one reason why when I hear someone in their formative years use the term, I ask them what that means and why that person "Sucks" as well as the issues that lead to those reasons.

Nothing is cut and dry in this world, like "When exactly DID Saddam dispose of his WMDs', why the OFF program was such a great way to aid Germany, France and Russia; and QB'ing the San Francisco 49ers". There are counterpoints to every argument, even my own.

And the difference between all the Rookies you can think of to name and Smith is that they aren't playing behind the Line that Smith has had in front of him. You can try to make it so simplistic, but in fact it's not as simple as what the haters want others to believe on either side.

It's too bad the Smith v. Hill thread got taken down, cause I've been completely objective and fair on both sides of the issue. And I pointed out that teams would have an answer for Shaun. And they DO have one. Peace.

~Ceadder

Go niners!!!!
[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Sep 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM ]
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
You do of course realize that Hill has about a 25-30 point higher career QB rating than his current backup?
And you do realize that Hill is currently the 3rd best QB in the entiire NFL on 3rd down,when it really counts,don't you ?
And you do realize that hill now has the best winning percentage of ANY 49ers QB in HISTORY ,don't you?
And you do realize that the offense will get better as the new offensive system matures ,as usually doesn't happen until about midseason of a new offense,don't you ?
And you do realize that Hill's replacement is waiting in the wings,and his name is not Alex,don't you ?
And you do realize that Hill and Davis are both light years ahead of alex is just about every aspect of the game,don't you? (except Davis will take a while to get ready,but certainly not all the time that the team has wasted on waiting on a mediocre talent like alex.

Dude don't talk like this you know -Ceadder will be PISSED!
Share 49ersWebzone