LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Originally posted by excelsior:
Much of these opinions of Hill are premature. We will not really know what we have until he has gone up against the best teams in the conference - NYG, NO, DAL, MINN, and GB. We will be able to see him against MINN and GB.

I have nothing against Shaun; in fact. I like him as a person and wish him well. But those who want the 49ers to return to prominence will turn against Hill if he cannot pull wins out against the teams we need to beat to get into the SB.

Frankly, our defense has allowed us to win so far this year. If our defense was less dominent, we would not have scored enough points to win. In fact, if Gore had not pulled off two incredible runs of 79 and 80 yds - something that has only been done once before in the history of the NFL - then we would have probably lost. In which case, the slogan "Hill is a winner" would have gone down in flames.

Okay I'll bite.

Do YOU think that Hill can do the job against the Bears, Indy, Titans, Packers, Jags, Texans, Iggles, Az, and a healthy Seahawk D in Sheattle?!?

Oh and let's not forget that we play the Vikes this week.

I see a L in 3/4 of those games if we have to continue to rely on our Defense to carry the team. The one glaring team that we have to dominate in that list is Indy. They are using ROOKIES on Offense(other than Clark) and just kicked the hell out of the Fins Defense over the most lopsided ToP for a winning team to overcome. 15 freakin minutes of total ToP. Their equalizer of course is Manning but their Defense was GASSED at the 3rd Quarter. Freeney looked like he was married to the O2 bottle on the sideline.

Now I admit he COULD surprise us and turn into the 2nd coming of Montana over that stretch of games, but I just don't see it.

Originally posted by BigDaddy:

Didn't Alex get to use the "SAME" WR's in the preseason?

Yup.
~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 25, 2009 at 4:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Much of these opinions of Hill are premature. We will not really know what we have until he has gone up against the best teams in the conference - NYG, NO, DAL, MINN, and GB. We will be able to see him against MINN and GB.

I have nothing against Shaun; in fact. I like him as a person and wish him well. But those who want the 49ers to return to prominence will turn against Hill if he cannot pull wins out against the teams we need to beat to get into the SB.

Frankly, our defense has allowed us to win so far this year. If our defense was less dominent, we would not have scored enough points to win. In fact, if Gore had not pulled off two incredible runs of 79 and 80 yds - something that has only been done once before in the history of the NFL - then we would have probably lost. In which case, the slogan "Hill is a winner" would have gone down in flames.

Okay I'll bite.

Do YOU think that Hill can do the job against the Bears, Indy, Titans, Packers, Jags, Texans, Iggles, Az, and a healthy Seahawk D in Sheattle?!?

Oh and let's not forget that we play the Vikes this week.

I see a L in 3/4 of those games if we have to continue to rely on our Defense to carry the team. The one glaring team that we have to dominate in that list is Indy. They are using ROOKIES on Offense(other than Clark) and just kicked the hell out of the Fins Defense over the most lopsided ToP for a winning team to overcome. 15 freakin minutes of total ToP. Their equalizer of course is Manning but their Defense was GASSED at the 3rd Quarter. Freeney looked like he was married to the O2 bottle on the sideline.

Now I admit he COULD surprise us and turn into the 2nd coming of Montana over that stretch of games, but I just don't see it.

Originally posted by BigDaddy:

Didn't Alex get to use the "SAME" WR's in the preseason?

Yup.
~Ceadder

i think your the biggest Alex Smith supporter on the zone...let me guess u voted for Obama also....hmmmm blind devotion
oh and another thing ceadder....beating the crap out of the sea gulls...(see offensive production) isn't exactly relying on our defense now is it???
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
oh and another thing ceadder....beating the crap out of the sea gulls...(see offensive production) isn't exactly relying on our defense now is it???

I think the point is that not every team is going to lay down and let Gore run free through their secondary. There will be games when Hill has to play better than he has. He misses reads and doesn't seem to have the pocket presence this year that he showed last year, which I though was his most redeeming quality. I agree though that once Raye get comfortable with Hill, the offense might open up more. Then it will just be up to Hill to deliver, he has been doing just enough to not lose the game to this point. He has looked good on about one drive a game so far, this week he should be able to move the ball though, the Vikings secondary and linebackers are pretty undisciplined.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I think the point is that not every team is going to lay down and let Gore run free through their secondary. There will be games when Hill has to play better than he has. He misses reads and doesn't seem to have the pocket presence this year that he showed last year, which I though was his most redeeming quality. I agree though that once Raye get comfortable with Hill, the offense might open up more. Then it will just be up to Hill to deliver, he has been doing just enough to not lose the game to this point. He has looked good on about one drive a game so far, this week he should be able to move the ball though, the Vikings secondary and linebackers are pretty undisciplined.

i agree with you about hill....but does that transulate to us relying on the defense to win games????the truth is our defense has played so well...and a running game has been pretty good...we haven't HAD to open up the passing game yet...untill we have to pass i will wait to pass serious judgment on Hill....just as a side note...having a GREAT defense is not the same as "having to rely on our D to win games"
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

i agree with you about hill....but does that transulate to us relying on the defense to win games????the truth is our defense has played so well...and a running game has been pretty good...we haven't HAD to open up the passing game yet...untill we have to pass i will wait to pass serious judgment on Hill....just as a side note...having a GREAT defense is not the same as "having to rely on our D to win games"

We are relying on our defense right now, we are playing old school football. Play great d and run the ball, minimize turnovers and get pressure on the QB. Tried and true way to get to the playoffs...to win in the playoffs though, we will need hill to step it up.
again i agree with u to an extent...but maybe we should wait to chew the "playoff food" untill we have to...Granted i do expect us to be in the playoffs this year...but first we actually have to WIN games in order to acheive that...and that is what this 49er team is all about this year...coach Sing does not care how we win these games, and neither do i....and i also think shaun hill still is very unexperienced, and what he has done so far is pretty amazing considering there is room to grow for him.
Originally posted by oscarug:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by oscarug:
if Alex was starting.. no way do we win vs Arizona!

his 3-out drives all day would have tired out the D, and let the cards come back in the 4th quarter!

Alex is not only inconsistent.. but throws behind receivers and at their feet. guys never have a shot to run for more yards.

Alex is a BUST.... get over it.. he had his shot and failed. Hes a nice smart kid.. but does not have the football smarts to compete in the NFL.

The 49ers have a new Offense this year and it will probably take Smith 3-7years till hes ready to start.

Hill is the 49ers QB.. yeah he didn't have 400yards last week.. but there was no need to air it out.. we ran the ball to kill the clock. and when he was asked to throw in the 4th quarter he did just fine getting us up the field! he freaking led a 9+min drive..

the 49ers just dominated the seahawks on that 2nd half! Hill and Raye are still getting comfortable with the offense. give them a few more weeks and this team will continue to improve and open up more! and if Hill starts driving up the field more, this will be a scary team to face all year! a team that has the talent to go deep in the playoffs!

all i have to say.. in 2007 Alex Smith held the team back from winning the division/playoffs. THE KID IS A INJURED PRONE BUST.. his best year in 2007 = TONY BANKS ROOKIE year numbers....

Smith key career stats: 30starts 19TD's, 31INT's, 63.5QB rating.

Hill key career stats: 12starts 19TD's, 9INT's, 90.1QB rating.

now the key Question. who gives you a better shot to win if Hill gets injured

Nate Davis or Alex Smith?

my vote is on Davis

Hill almost threw 3 ints in the first 2 games,shaky pocket presence,ran into a couple sacks,throws to Bruce when he's double teamed,can't find an open Morgan,did have nice drive against AZ,otherwise he's doing OK

The D is the main reason for the 2-0 start

If you think he'll ever take the Niners to the SuperBowl---

so sorry

"Almost" ints don't count. I love how some fans reach so hard to criticize by citing "almost" mistakes.

Hell, I almost f*ck up many times in my job, but I am golden there because I rarely ever f*ck up when imprtant things are on the line, and get the job done right.

Lemme know when you are Quarterbacking the 1st string Offense for the 9ers. Almosts do and SHOULD be considered when you talk about a QB.

~Ceadder

While you are counting almost interceptions, I am looking at actual stats that he has thrown 9 picks in 12 games played. That is .75 ints per game. Keep on reaching.

Trent Dilfer
http://www.nfl.com/players/trentdilfer/profile?id=DIL049692

during his Superbowl year he started 8games, 12TD's, 11Int's, 76.6 QB rating.

hmmmm.. lets see.. can Shaun Hill win a superbowl playing at the same level other QB's who have won superbowls... i dont know.. hmmmm...

HELL YEAH.. like the Ravens.. we have an awesome D. great running game.. why not.. im a Fan

Go 49ers!!!

i guess i have to link this again..

Steve Young on 2009 Shaun Hill: hes playing great! not good, GREAT!!! people who undervalue Hill don't understand football!

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Steve-Young-on-KNBR/ef2dc15a-2032-4bc8-9162-10acfe31538d

Nobody here "undervaluing" S.Hill

The people who "overvalue" S.Hill "don't understand football"

He's been a decent QB and nothing more and as long as he keeps handing off to Gore he'll continue to play in Steve Young's words... "GREAT!"

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith is a bum

Cut him already

Waste of a roster spot

I'd rather sign Brit Miller off of the practice squad to take his place and move M-rob to 3rd string QB.

Alex Smith = Biggest Bust in 49ers History.

The End.

Go Shaun Hill.

Not according to the 49ers

Who would I'd rather listen to-

a nobody named bigmike55 or... the San Francisco 49ers

You know the answer..

If you want to keep at it with the same old worn out dialogue then help yourself but remember,if Hill falters or is injured then the "biggest bust in 49ers history" will step right in!

enjoy

We should've held onto that Jim Druckenmiller guy
darn it!
smith was drafted becuase of his buzz and he is a follower....

that is what nolan wanted a follower that would not challenge him but back him blindly.

nolan drafted a whole bunch of nolan guys that he could convince to buy in to his bulls**t.

that is why we are not debating wether smith is better then manning or brees or aaron rodgers.

instead we are talking about wether or not smith in year 5 can beat out shaun aint going nowere hill.

get a grip guys.....smith is not the future.

he is going to end up cut and out of the nfl in the next 16 months.

hill would not make many of the rosters as a 3rd stringer in the nfl and smith cant beat even him out.

• ZRF80
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by alburns:
9-3 win loss for SH vs 11-19 for AS (9-14 if you throw out his rookie season).

game over.

This is the only stat that matters

And that is why you will never be confused with someone who has anything more than passing knowledge of Football.

If it's not a W you're not interested in the whys and wherefores of the game.

Sad really.

~Ceadder

What the hell are you talking about here? Do you want stats? Every stat says that Hill is the better QB PASSING the ball as well. QB Rating? Yards per game? TDs to INTs? YPA?

NOTHING says Alex Smith is a better QB. Wins, losses, stats. EVERYTHING points to Hill being the more successful and BETTER QB...which he is.

Red Zone stats beat those stats every day of the week and three times on Sundays.

Don't believe me? What do those stats show you? Nothing but an overall picture. What do RED ZONE stats tell you?

They tell you how many times in the red zone you completed the drive favorably. Smith has better RZ stats.

Ask brothers Matt what their stats are. I don't have them at the moment and am looking for them, but the last time I read them Smith has scored more TDs' than Hill.

I could give a flyin truckall about the rest. Gimme TDs' or gimme death.

~Ceadder

Why stop there ? Alex Smith has a higher QB rating between the 40 and 50 yard line hashmarks. Go ahead. Check the stats. Smith is wayyyyyy better than Hill, and those 10 yards prove it.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

that is what nolan wanted a follower that would not challenge him but back him blindly.

nolan drafted a whole bunch of nolan guys that he could convince to buy in to his bulls**t.

that is why we are not debating wether smith is better then manning or brees or aaron rodgers.

instead we are talking about wether or not smith in year 5 can beat out shaun aint going nowere hill.

hill would not make many of the rosters as a 3rd stringer in the nfl and smith cant beat even him out.

Smith was drafted because the niners wanted to get the best QB they could in a bad draft class. How his career has played out has been more a product of his handling than his talent level. Drafting anyone #1 is tricky business, you win some and you lose more. I am not sold that Smith is done, not even here. He looked to have improved with the new QB coach, and since the team thought enough of him to keep him around, it means someone that knows more than you claim to thinks differently than you.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Why stop there ? Alex Smith has a higher QB rating between the 40 and 50 yard line hashmarks. Go ahead. Check the stats. Smith is wayyyyyy better than Hill, and those 10 yards prove it.

Smith's wife is hotter then Hill's girlfriend. Smith will probably throw as many touchdown passes as Hill this weekend. Smith has less fumbles then Hill this year. etc etc

It is hard to see the light wearing rose colored glasses. I think I have tried explaining the same fact till I was blue in the face. It is useless lol. Some just don't get it or refuse to want to believe it.

Considering Smith hasn't played since early 2007 it's no surprise at all.Sing wanted to get a look at Smith after the sugeries and time off to see if he was ready to step up or not.He was not so he handed the job to Hill who clearly didn't out play Smith.So Shaun is the starter but it is not set in stone.Sing also got a long look at N.Davis who looked better than both of them.

If Smith was going to be cut by the 49ers they wouldn't have resigned him-SIMPLE COMPREHENSION

Smith is younger and has more upside than Hill and will probably be on the team longer.
Share 49ersWebzone