There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by oscarug:
if Alex was starting.. no way do we win vs Arizona!

his 3-out drives all day would have tired out the D, and let the cards come back in the 4th quarter!

Alex is not only inconsistent.. but throws behind receivers and at their feet. guys never have a shot to run for more yards.

Alex is a BUST.... get over it.. he had his shot and failed. Hes a nice smart kid.. but does not have the football smarts to compete in the NFL.

The 49ers have a new Offense this year and it will probably take Smith 3-7years till hes ready to start.

Hill is the 49ers QB.. yeah he didn't have 400yards last week.. but there was no need to air it out.. we ran the ball to kill the clock. and when he was asked to throw in the 4th quarter he did just fine getting us up the field! he freaking led a 9+min drive..

the 49ers just dominated the seahawks on that 2nd half! Hill and Raye are still getting comfortable with the offense. give them a few more weeks and this team will continue to improve and open up more! and if Hill starts driving up the field more, this will be a scary team to face all year! a team that has the talent to go deep in the playoffs!

all i have to say.. in 2007 Alex Smith held the team back from winning the division/playoffs. THE KID IS A INJURED PRONE BUST.. his best year in 2007 = TONY BANKS ROOKIE year numbers....

Smith key career stats: 30starts 19TD's, 31INT's, 63.5QB rating.

Hill key career stats: 12starts 19TD's, 9INT's, 90.1QB rating.

now the key Question. who gives you a better shot to win if Hill gets injured

Nate Davis or Alex Smith?

my vote is on Davis

Hill almost threw 3 ints in the first 2 games,shaky pocket presence,ran into a couple sacks,throws to Bruce when he's double teamed,can't find an open Morgan,did have nice drive against AZ,otherwise he's doing OK

The D is the main reason for the 2-0 start

If you think he'll ever take the Niners to the SuperBowl---

so sorry

"Almost" ints don't count. I love how some fans reach so hard to criticize by citing "almost" mistakes.

Hell, I almost f*ck up many times in my job, but I am golden there because I rarely ever f*ck up when imprtant things are on the line, and get the job done right.

Lemme know when you are Quarterbacking the 1st string Offense for the 9ers. Almosts do and SHOULD be considered when you talk about a QB.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Ah, talking about stats without showing the stats. A webzone forum staple.

Since I am bored, I will help you all out.

Let's just say that '06 is the only year we can judge Smith on. And we'll use last year '08 to judge Hill, since that was the most games he played in one season thus far...

Smith in '06 averaged 180 yards per game passing, one TD & one int per game. He had about 28 passing attempts per game for an average of 6.5 yards per completion with a 58.1% completion percentage. His total season rating was 74.8

Hill in 08 averaged 227 yards per game passing, 1.4 TDs & .9 int per game.
He had about 32 passing attempts per game for an average of 7.1 yards per completion with a 62.8% completion percentage. His total season QB rating was 87.5.

Now taking all the fan passion out of the debate, which guy looks better?

First, answer this...

Which had a much better supporting cast on each side of the ball?
Which was far younger and was universally believed to have potential to grow into the QB role?
Which one had the disaster named Kwame Harris protecting him?
Which one had the #26 overall defense compared to the 13th overall defense?
Which one was fortunate enough to come off the bench after several games from which the team could make adjustments?
Hell no...one turnover and we could have lost that 1st game. An overthrow to a Cardinal DB probably.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
As much as I have given up on small hands I think we'd still be 2-0. Shaun Hill was steady and consistent when he needed to be but had a bunch of plays disrupted because of his pocket presence and side armed delivery. I think Alex, against the Cards and Hawks would do a little better in the passing game and hence, we'd still probably win and be 2-0.

wow i just voted and it's exactly 50-50
yes we would be we would of won by more points in both games.
Originally posted by jones49:
Hell no...one turnover and we could have lost that 1st game. An overthrow to a Cardinal DB probably.

FYI there was a turnover and the D held! Just like they would had it been Alex that gave the ball up. And also don't forget that we now have WR's that can go and get the ball or if need be can and HAVE changed to DB's because of a poorly thrown ball (see Bruce v. Seahawks). DO NOT for one minute try and convince any rational person that we would not have won these games with Smith as the starter.... Don’t get it wrong, I think Hill is doing a fine job of not losing games because that’s all that he does. I’m just very nervous about the day that he will actually have to win one. Yes he did do it against the rams last year, but come on it was the rams, THE RAMS! Why in the hell was he in that position to begin with let’s not forget that he could NOT get it done against the ‘fins or the cards last year and don’t give me any crap about how “he drove them down there” or “Martz is stupid” or “Sims sucks” or “wah wah boo hoo”. Save it, you know for a damn fact had it been Alex in there you would be calling for his head on a pike. Also I don’t want to hear about the cards game this year because, yes he did take us down to score, but that was at the beginning of the 4th qtr. not at the end of the game like the three that I mentioned. Our defense still had to come out on the field and win that game for us, and of course they did. Ok, this little rant was not directed directly at the OP and I know it kind of seems that I’m against our boy Hill, which is so not true, as I said I think he is doing a fine job, I’m just sick of all the Smith hate that for some damn reason is still drilled so deeply into some of you, what gives? Do you believe for one minute that if the staff believed Smith was as worthless as some here think that he would still be on the team? Really?!

And one last thing, I fear the day is coming that many of you are going to turn on your beloved Hill, hopefully later rather than sooner, but the day will come just like you all turned on Smith.
Originally posted by sincalniner:

FYI there was a turnover and the D held! Just like they would had it been Alex that gave the ball up. And also don't forget that we now have WR's that can go and get the ball or if need be can and HAVE changed to DB's because of a poorly thrown ball (see Bruce v. Seahawks). DO NOT for one minute try and convince any rational person that we would not have won these games with Smith as the starter.... Don’t get it wrong, I think Hill is doing a fine job of not losing games because that’s all that he does. I’m just very nervous about the day that he will actually have to win one. Yes he did do it against the rams last year, but come on it was the rams, THE RAMS! Why in the hell was he in that position to begin with let’s not forget that he could NOT get it done against the ‘fins or the cards last year and don’t give me any crap about how “he drove them down there” or “Martz is stupid” or “Sims sucks” or “wah wah boo hoo”. Save it, you know for a damn fact had it been Alex in there you would be calling for his head on a pike. Also I don’t want to hear about the cards game this year because, yes he did take us down to score, but that was at the beginning of the 4th qtr. not at the end of the game like the three that I mentioned. Our defense still had to come out on the field and win that game for us, and of course they did. Ok, this little rant was not directed directly at the OP and I know it kind of seems that I’m against our boy Hill, which is so not true, as I said I think he is doing a fine job, I’m just sick of all the Smith hate that for some damn reason is still drilled so deeply into some of you, what gives? Do you believe for one minute that if the staff believed Smith was as worthless as some here think that he would still be on the team? Really?!

And one last thing, I fear the day is coming that many of you are going to turn on your beloved Hill, hopefully later rather than sooner, but the day will come just like you all turned on Smith.

DOn't hate cus I realize the truth before many of you. I mean still having faith in Alex now is like the Texans having faith in Dadiv Carr in 2007. Just crazy. It is what it is and I know what Alex is. BTW, I'm not a big Hill lover, hes just the best option till Davis takes over.

DOn't hate cus I realize the truth before many of you. I mean still having faith in Alex now is like the Texans having faith in Dadiv Carr in 2007. Just crazy. It is what it is and I know what Alex is. BTW, I'm not a big Hill lover, hes just the best option till Davis takes over.

First off, I agree with you 100%, but good luck with try to convince "The Society for the Prevention of Cruelity Against Alex" members to understand it.

his 3-out drives all day would have tired out the D, and let the cards come back in the 4th quarter!

Alex is not only inconsistent.. but throws behind receivers and at their feet. guys never have a shot to run for more yards.

Alex is a BUST.... get over it.. he had his shot and failed. Hes a nice smart kid.. but does not have the football smarts to compete in the NFL.

The 49ers have a new Offense this year and it will probably take Smith 3-7years till hes ready to start.

Hill is the 49ers QB.. yeah he didn't have 400yards last week.. but there was no need to air it out.. we ran the ball to kill the clock. and when he was asked to throw in the 4th quarter he did just fine getting us up the field! he freaking led a 9+min drive..

the 49ers just dominated the seahawks on that 2nd half! Hill and Raye are still getting comfortable with the offense. give them a few more weeks and this team will continue to improve and open up more! and if Hill starts driving up the field more, this will be a scary team to face all year! a team that has the talent to go deep in the playoffs!

all i have to say.. in 2007 Alex Smith held the team back from winning the division/playoffs. THE KID IS A INJURED PRONE BUST.. his best year in 2007 = TONY BANKS ROOKIE year numbers....

my vote is on Davis

You nailed it on the head. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • ZRF80
This thread proves why Hill is far superior than Alex Smith in terms of QB ability, and it also showcases why we are 2-0 with Hill, as opposed to 1-1 or 0-2 with Smith.

Quarterbacking

Every single Smith supporter in this thread has come up with a number of reasons to defend him. Whether it be the offense, OC, age, etc., the excuses are endless. People talk about teams NOT stacking the box while Smith was starter, which is DEAD WRONG. If anything, a primary concern for us after the 2-0 start in 07 was that teams would eventually stop Gore by stacking the box, and Smith would have to make accurate throws downfield to single covered receivers. Something that he had NOT done. Again, you people try to defend Smith by citing his arm strength (as compared to Hill's), which was never an issue. The issue was always ACCURACY; Smith was not accurate in his deep balls, and he never took advantage of his single covered receivers.

Two, it's amazing how all the Smith defenders keep reminding the Zone that Hill cant carry the team on his back. Right, cause the 4th quarter drive against Zona, where he faced 4 third downs and converted ALL with his arm, wasnt clutch. Oh, and when the running game got shot in the 3rd-4th quarter last week, and we needed to chew the clock.......and Hill did it with arm for over 9 minutes.....that wasnt clutch either, just luck. Good one. Please give me examples where Smith was able to sustain drives consistently throughout his career. Cite me examples where Smith led our team from behind, closed out games, etc.

You guys need an entire career's worth of stats (Smith) just to compare to Hill's first 2 games in 2009. The Hill supporters here arent even talking about last year, where Hill proved on many occasions that he could lead an offense from behind, with a new offensive scheme, with new offensive personnel, and with poise. Something that Smith did only erratically during his tenure as starter.

Third, please get rid of the smokescreens. You people sound like hypocrites when you discuss Smith with the coulda, shoulda, wouldas...........only to accuse Hill with the "almost", "lucky", and "defense bailed him out" garbage.

And please keep in mind..........Hill is doing all this with a coach that wants to play in the trenches and keep the game close. Smith had an OC (Turner. McCarthy) that wanted to open up the playbook and showcase his "ability". Something that he did not take advantage of.

I swear........considering what Hill has done to LEAD this team to victory in both games, you people are lame.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Who's Alex Smith again?
overpaid career backup

and that's in reference to the money he's made, not the 8 mill for 2 yr 'paycut'
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

my vote is on Davis

You nailed it on the head. Couldn't have said it better myself.

At least 2 of you know the deal. I agree.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

First off, I agree with you 100%, but good luck with try to convince "The Society for the Prevention of Cruelity Against Alex" members to understand it.

so let me get this straight. Instead of responding with a thought out reply to specific point of the argument made, it's going to be simply "well Alex sucks so there!" or "yeah man people how like to see his pee pee just don't get that we think he suck because he sucks!" is that how it works?
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Dino:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
If Smith = Starter, then Season =

*waits for fan49, method, ceadder and memphis to chime in*

Something along the lines of:

"but he's only twenty-[blank] years old."

"it's his 4th OC in 4 years. You gotta give him time."

"he doesnt have the supporting cast. You need more than an all-pro RB to win games."

"we ruined him by letting him start his rookie season. Clearly, 5 years on the bench is invaluable to develop a player."

"remember the Zona and Seahawk games. Forget the other starts. Those 2 showcased the real Smith. Give him 2 years, and he'll be doing that consistently."
Originally posted by ZRF80:
This thread proves why Hill is far superior than Alex Smith in terms of QB ability, and it also showcases why we are 2-0 with Hill, as opposed to 1-1 or 0-2 with Smith.

Quarterbacking

Every single Smith supporter in this thread has come up with a number of reasons to defend him. Whether it be the offense, OC, age, etc., the excuses are endless. People talk about teams NOT stacking the box while Smith was starter, which is DEAD WRONG. If anything, a primary concern for us after the 2-0 start in 07 was that teams would eventually stop Gore by stacking the box, and Smith would have to make accurate throws downfield to single covered receivers. Something that he had NOT done. Again, you people try to defend Smith by citing his arm strength (as compared to Hill's), which was never an issue. The issue was always ACCURACY; Smith was not accurate in his deep balls, and he never took advantage of his single covered receivers.

Two, it's amazing how all the Smith defenders keep reminding the Zone that Hill cant carry the team on his back. Right, cause the 4th quarter drive against Zona, where he faced 4 third downs and converted ALL with his arm, wasnt clutch. Oh, and when the running game got shot in the 3rd-4th quarter last week, and we needed to chew the clock.......and Hill did it with arm for over 9 minutes.....that wasnt clutch either, just luck. Good one. Please give me examples where Smith was able to sustain drives consistently throughout his career. Cite me examples where Smith led our team from behind, closed out games, etc.

You guys need an entire career's worth of stats (Smith) just to compare to Hill's first 2 games in 2009. The Hill supporters here arent even talking about last year, where Hill proved on many occasions that he could lead an offense from behind, with a new offensive scheme, with new offensive personnel, and with poise. Something that Smith did only erratically during his tenure as starter.

Third, please get rid of the smokescreens. You people sound like hypocrites when you discuss Smith with the coulda, shoulda, wouldas...........only to accuse Hill with the "almost", "lucky", and "defense bailed him out" garbage.

And please keep in mind..........Hill is doing all this with a coach that wants to play in the trenches and keep the game close. Smith had an OC (Turner. McCarthy) that wanted to open up the playbook and showcase his "ability". Something that he did not take advantage of.

I swear........considering what Hill has done to LEAD this team to victory in both games, you people are lame.