There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So... is it Hill or is it our W.R.'s?

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Amazing!!! First it was, lets see him start a full game, next was, defenses will soon figure him out, and next, lets see him play a real defense. Now its, lemme know when he does it more than one time a game.

Its comments like the one above that made me lean to one side of the QB competition. Hey!!! Lemme know when the #2 QB on our roster lives up to his potential. Hill is the best QB we've had since 2002, no complaints from me about his play.

You sir, i salute!
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by SJniner7:

And for the moment I don't feel that he gives us anything more that either Alex or Nate can give us. Seriously, if all we want is a custodial QB then all 3 qualify perfectly. I'm pretty sure that all 3 can hand the ball off to a RB. They would NEVER have made the Pros if they couldn't do that.

So really what does Hill bring to the table that is so much better than the other two? Cause I'm not seeing it and I would LOVE to be enlightened.

~Ceadder

Well, you do not know what they would have done (alex or nate). AS might have not completed anything, Nate could have fumbled, or many of the other endless possibilities. I mean, with only 25 passes, and he basically put us ahead to win the game, that is pretty damn good. While I am not spouting that he is the savior in any way what so ever, I just feel he deserves credit where it is due.

Sorry man, I just cannot disagree more. It was custodial Football at it's best. Basically the staff is telling our QBs' that this is the most they can achieve and the team as well. I'm not on board with that aspect. I'm glad that we have a winning record at the moment, but c'mon the results would have been similar with either Alex or Nate under Center. You can try to spin it negatively, but anyone that has seen or listened to these 3 games can see this.

The article on the front page about "Pretty" style of Football, missed it wide. It's not about "pretty", it's about taking your shots when you get them and making the most of them. Shaun can't do that and the play calling reflects it. I don't care how pretty it is or isn't. I want the BEST guy out there. If it's Shaun then he needs to pull his head out of his bum and put together more than one solid drive a game. That's all. I don't expect 300 yard games either. Would be nice but it's not realistic.

~Ceadder

Oh ceadder! you must be a virgo, because you are as stubborn as they come. Let me ask you, when they consistently gave Hill passing opportunities, what was the end result?

Just this season, I see sealing the Seahawks game with an 8:00 minute drive, 80 yard drive against Arizona for go-ahead victory, and 80 yard drive against Minnesota for the lead. It almost sounds like you have more of a problem with our current offensive philosophy than the guy under center...
Shaun Hill did everything he was asked to to. He led the team down the field in critical situations: once vs AZ and today vs the Vikings. Both times he delivered with a TD to take the lead. Of course, it's a team game and others played a very important roles.

Can he improve? yes, everyone on our team can improve...including the coaching staff.

And for the moment I don't feel that he gives us anything more that either Alex or Nate can give us. Seriously, if all we want is a custodial QB then all 3 qualify perfectly. I'm pretty sure that all 3 can hand the ball off to a RB. They would NEVER have made the Pros if they couldn't do that.

So really what does Hill bring to the table that is so much better than the other two? Cause I'm not seeing it and I would LOVE to be enlightened.

~Ceadder

Well, you do not know what they would have done (alex or nate). AS might have not completed anything, Nate could have fumbled, or many of the other endless possibilities. I mean, with only 25 passes, and he basically put us ahead to win the game, that is pretty damn good. While I am not spouting that he is the savior in any way what so ever, I just feel he deserves credit where it is due.

Sorry man, I just cannot disagree more. It was custodial Football at it's best. Basically the staff is telling our QBs' that this is the most they can achieve and the team as well. I'm not on board with that aspect. I'm glad that we have a winning record at the moment, but c'mon the results would have been similar with either Alex or Nate under Center. You can try to spin it negatively, but anyone that has seen or listened to these 3 games can see this.

The article on the front page about "Pretty" style of Football, missed it wide. It's not about "pretty", it's about taking your shots when you get them and making the most of them. Shaun can't do that and the play calling reflects it. I don't care how pretty it is or isn't. I want the BEST guy out there. If it's Shaun then he needs to pull his head out of his bum and put together more than one solid drive a game. That's all. I don't expect 300 yard games either. Would be nice but it's not realistic.

~Ceadder

Oh ceadder! you must be a virgo, because you are as stubborn as they come. Let me ask you, when they consistently gave Hill passing opportunities, what was the end result?

Just this season, I see sealing the Seahawks game with an 8:00 minute drive, 80 yard drive against Arizona for go-ahead victory, and 80 yard drive against Minnesota for the lead. It almost sounds like you have more of a problem with our current offensive philosophy than the guy under center...

No actually I'm a Pisces not a Virgo.

"And, offensively, the 49ers were a staggering 0-for-11 when faced with a third down. If they convert one of those third downs, they win the game." ~Matt Barrows

That ain't good. that's 0-11 for the last game. This does not count the 1st two. While I agree that some of that is on the shoulders of the Coaching staff, more than half of the blame lies on Shaun's shoulders.

Now you can say that I'm stubborn or obstinate, but it's called PASSION for the game of Football. I absolutely hate BAD Football. I call out anyone and everyone when they are playing BAD Football. I also recognize when guys are the victims of BAD Football. If the Line is at fault I call em out. If the WRs' are at fault? Likewise. But having SEEN Shaun play I can't single any one guy other than him out. For a guy that is SPOSED to be the leader he's not leading the team for more than a play a game.

Take for example this... back when we had a Dynasty Joe and Steve would be on the phone with the OC or talking to their skill guys asking them what they saw or telling them that they need to do this or that. Anything to be on the same page. You don't see this with Shaun. I saw the entire Sheattle game and not ONCE did I see him communicating with anyone on the sidelines. Believe me I looked for it. In any case he's not the guy until he shows me more than one drive a game.

I don't give a rats furry @$$ that he got us Ws'. That was then this is now. People were all over Smith because he "wasn't performing". Well now Hill ain't performing. You got a problem with that maybe you should contact Hill and tell him to pull his head out of his bum?

I do agree that today our Line failed Hill. But that didn't happen all game long either.

~Ceadder
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

"And, offensively, the 49ers were a staggering 0-for-11 when faced with a third down. If they convert one of those third downs, they win the game." ~Matt Barrows

That ain't good. that's 0-11 for the last game. This does not count the 1st two. While I agree that some of that is on the shoulders of the Coaching staff, more than half of the blame lies on Shaun's shoulders.

Now you can say that I'm stubborn or obstinate, but it's called PASSION for the game of Football. I absolutely hate BAD Football. I call out anyone and everyone when they are playing BAD Football. I also recognize when guys are the victims of BAD Football. If the Line is at fault I call em out. If the WRs' are at fault? Likewise. But having SEEN Shaun play I can't single any one guy other than him out. For a guy that is SPOSED to be the leader he's not leading the team for more than a play a game.

Take for example this... back when we had a Dynasty Joe and Steve would be on the phone with the OC or talking to their skill guys asking them what they saw or telling them that they need to do this or that. Anything to be on the same page. You don't see this with Shaun. I saw the entire Sheattle game and not ONCE did I see him communicating with anyone on the sidelines. Believe me I looked for it. In any case he's not the guy until he shows me more than one drive a game.

I don't give a rats furry @$$ that he got us Ws'. That was then this is now. People were all over Smith because he "wasn't performing". Well now Hill ain't performing. You got a problem with that maybe you should contact Hill and tell him to pull his head out of his bum?

I do agree that today our Line failed Hill. But that didn't happen all game long either.

~Ceadder

Seriously Ceddar, you need to stop, what game were you watching today?? If you wanna blame a QB for today's performance, blame JaMarcus Russell, 7 for whatever 60 something yards....OMFG, you got any excuses for him??

Not only was Hill hanging in there with horrible O-line play, he had no running game to back him up either.

80 yard touchdown drive to put us over the top in the last 1:30 seconds. I'm probably the first Mod to say this, but Smith sucks bro, hes nowhere near the QB Hill is.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Seriously Ceddar, you need to stop, what game were you watching today?? If you wanna blame a QB for today's performance, blame JaMarcus Russell, 7 for whatever 60 something yards....OMFG, you got any excuses for him??

Not only was Hill hanging in there with horrible O-line play, he had no running game to back him up either.

80 yard touchdown drive to put us over the top in the last 1:30 seconds. I'm probably the first Mod to say this, but Smith sucks bro, hes nowhere near the QB Hill is.

Thank You.

There's nothing else that needs to be said on the matter. Shaun Hill is the best QB on our roster and he did his best to get us a victory today despite the Marty-ball BS + lax defense when we had the lead.

Even when faced with the obvious, some people will just never give in and continue to talk nonsense.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Leathaface:

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Thank You.

There's nothing else that needs to be said on the matter. Shaun Hill is the best QB on our roster and he did his best to get us a victory today despite the Marty-ball BS + lax defense when we had the lead.

Even when faced with the obvious, some people will just never give in and continue to talk nonsense.

Obvious indeed. Shaun Hill has been the best QB we've had in 6 years....Smith's QB play is elementary compared to Hill's. Smith seems like a QB with training wheels who needs to take baby steps in this league to get him up to par with the rest of the average QB's in the NFL. People might say, OMG our Mod is a troll for not supporting him, but don't we say the same things about Mark Roman, Kwame Harris, Barry Sims, Isaac Sopoaga?? Don't see everyone getting all sensitive when fans knock them. And people want to knock Hill when he stands and delivers week in and week out, I don't get some of the fans.
^There's nothing wrong with a mod voicing an opinion on a particular player. After all, you're a fan so you have that right. In fact, I think it's good...we need people to come out and put this Alex Smith talk to rest. The guy sucks and if you ask any unbiased observer, they'll all tell you the same thing.

Some fans in Detroit think Joey H got a raw deal and fans in Houston think David Carr got a raw deal. What do we think? That they're busts. That's how the outside football world views Smith and rightfully so since they're not blinded by homerism.

~Ceadder

You guys need to stop whining over which side the other guy has taken.

shaun played well today. not all of those 3rd downs were on him. he threw a ball to bruce that shouldve been caught for a 1st down and same with a drop by coffee. you got to hold onto that ball if youre the reciever.

and you guys saying smith sucks, give me a break. the guy played nfl football with an injury that probably wouldve ended your season in whatever sport you played as a kid. after not playing in 18 months he came in during preseason and looked decent. he was hitting his recievers and in the oakland game they dropped passes just like they did for shaun today. but there were positive signs there that he may be improving and what sucks is when he gets his next chance, with us or another team, you are rooting for a good person who went through a lot of crap to fail.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

shaun played well today. not all of those 3rd downs were on him. he threw a ball to bruce that shouldve been caught for a 1st down and same with a drop by coffee. you got to hold onto that ball if youre the reciever.

and you guys saying smith sucks, give me a break. the guy played nfl football with an injury that probably wouldve ended your season in whatever sport you played as a kid. after not playing in 18 months he came in during preseason and looked decent. he was hitting his recievers and in the oakland game they dropped passes just like they did for shaun today. but there were positive signs there that he may be improving and what sucks is when he gets his next chance, with us or another team, you are rooting for a good person who went through a lot of crap to fail.

Just because he was injured and just because he missed time doesn't mean he doesn't suck. That was a confusing sentence, haha.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

You and I don't agree very often, but we see eye to eye with the Hill situation. The guy is HORRIBLE, and is the #1 thing holding this offense back. I too agree you can see the plays called with Hills limitations in mind. We need a long play against Seattle and what do we call? One would assume a long pass by your starting QB, but noooooooo our OC puts more faith in a gimmicky "taser" package then he does our STARTING QB.

Put a compitent QB on the team, even in light of the deficiencies of the oline, paired up with our studly D, and our offense is dominant.

One good drive a game is obviously all a Niner fan needs to keep them happy with our QB play. All you in this thread defending Hill need to go back and watch any game from 80's to the early 90's and then come back to this thread and see if you can still defend the guy currently manning the position.

Hill is the #1 reason this offense fails. He is only barely compitent when he is given a clean pocket, and rarely makes the play when under any kind of pressure.
[ Edited by WINiner on Sep 28, 2009 at 5:28 AM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Well Done!!
Our last offensive possession were we went 3 and out on 3 runs. That was the game, right there!

If the 9ers don't have enough faith in Shaun Hill to connect or try one freak'en pass on that series. Then something is very, very wrong somewhere.

Now the question becomes.... Is it Shaun Hill or the Coaches?
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Hard to catch a ball when it is rarely if ever on target - Hill can through a curl route on target if it is 15 yards or under that is about it...never going anywhere with Hill as the QB he is a career backup plain and simple

wow, so far from the truth. Do you even watch the games? Hill's arm strength issues show when he tried to hit the 15 yard outs and curls, as there is no zip on the ball. He has good touch, as shown by the 2 TDs to Davis.

Let me ask you this, he puts us ahead with 1:30 to go, and our defense can't hold an 80 yard drive, that is Hill's fault?

We shouldn't have been ahead - he the INT he threw showed that - the only reason he got a 2nd chance is his incompotent ass got called for delay of game - Now Hill is okay we will win games with him but he will NEVER win us the game . We can probably win Our division with him just managing the game because it is so weak but great QB play wins in the playoffs - Shaun Hill may be capable of a good game once in awhile maybe a great game against Detroit or this years Bucs but that is about it....

if he throws the ball once on stride and on target to Bruce we were up another score - Def was on the field way to long again today - and why is that because Shaun Hill isn't allowed or isn't capable of audibling at the line of scrimmage when he see's 8 or 9 men in the box

Hey we were just talking about people like you in another thread
Originally posted by Schulzy:
The bright side is that maybe Sing and Raye will let Shaun have more control of the offense. He's shown them, and all the anti-Hill idiots on here, that he can take this team to the playoffs.

But other than that, I don't see much of a bright side. We had a big chance to give ourselves a nice cushion in the division today and choked it away.

Those Anti-Hill idiots are here to stay.

Apparently so are the Pro Hill idiots