LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 2 vs. Seahawks)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
We got lucky on those two Gore runs... we are getting zero push on run plays. This is my personal number one worry for the season. We need to have 2 yards be the minimum, not the maximum if we want to continue winning and have confidence when it comes to 3rd/4th and 2.

Please explain how those plays were lucky?

That 1st long run wasn't luck. There were 8 people in the box. There's no luck involved there.

On the first long run, Moran Norris blocked two guys in the hole and that turned out to be the only guys with a shot at catching Gore.

Norris was the unsung hero today...or maybe not so unsung, since we are talking about him.

Norris made a great play that first one... they had 8 in the box so when Gore got to the second level it was over. Great run by Gore. The second run, the RDE wasn't even blocked, and they ran it to that side. Terrible play by the RDE who looked like he wasn't even trying. Also the safety came in at a horrible angle and Gore ran right by him. These kind of things happen, but it wasn't like we blew them out of the water. Not as bad as the Arizona game, but still something we need to work on. They had some starters out too.
Will watch the tape again but...

Better game for Raye but with some good came some head-scratchers too:

What I liked:
I saw a pitch out and it worked great.
I saw that Raye saw a weakness and exploited it 3 times in a row
Raye opened it up more today for Hill
Hill did a great job of 3rd down completions and dominating the TOP
Saw more balance and creativity today with Raye
Gore was dynamic
Great job o-line!
Saw lots of good individual efforts esp. on third downs when we should have been stopped (Norris had a great game)
Another home win for Hill (6-0)

What I didn't like:
Can we please do away with the wildcat?
Still WAY too conservative and predictable on certain plays. You play to win at home and this game could have been over in the 2nd quarter.
Turn Hill loose! Again, it was Raye's play-calling in the 3rd that lead to a low % again IMHP
I saw a pitch out work every time but then we stopped doing it
I saw Hill exploiting soft coverage and then we stopped doing it
I saw us using Davis and then we stopped doing it
Hill still held the ball too long at times (needs to learn to progress in his reads)
It appears if Hill does not throw it within 3 seconds we're screwed
Do we have any WR's? Do we need them? Bruce a few times a game...

PS: Screw Crabtree and oh BTW: Carolina is 0-2!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM ]
Even though Hill is winning they need a better qb and while he might be ok the passing is just too inefficient. I think in part that Raye may be part of the problem, not that he is too conservative but his creatitvity is minimal. I mean that Taser should be renamed mouse piss. It is so dull and ineffective, it could be used to lull defenses into a coma. I think the niners really might be working to get Nate up to speed. If they got a qb like Nate going, I think they could be pushing New Orleans for offensive firepower. Especially with Jones coming back soon. They need to get some of the pressure off Gore. I think Singletary is not a person who would stay with crap like the taser long. That is like diving into a empty pool headfirst to see if the aspirin works.
I think too that getting Kory sheets back is pretty vital as it shows that even two runningbacks is risky and some guys are not doing well like Spurlock. I think they really need a runningback supplement to Gore and Coffee. I also feel they could look long at Robinson as special teams has not blocked well and if he is limited, then Sheets might replace him. I think as long as the frontline players hold out the team might be ok but even a few lost players will hurt because of the lack of skills in guys like Shaun Hill, even though he has been doing ok. More and more it seems that Alex has major defects that I mentioned Nate does not and he is a perfect example of how hard it is to get rid of them. I recall how they spoke of Eli Manning and how inept his passing was early on and he threw an amazing number of interceptions too. So Nate has done very well for a raw qb. Just the fact he can get a few deep passes completed would complement this type of offense. We would probably wind up with much less three and outs. Let me congratulate cumulus streaming for their 99 percent garbage commercials and .01 percent game and balance of swamp gas broadcasts. If anyone thinks that service is other then a joke by Crabtree. It seems they operate on the Crabtree principle. Money, me want more money and do nothing.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
we need a bigger arm at QB

I'm reminded of that picture someone posted with Hill being the pie thrower. The man just does not have an arm. Those so called quick passes to the wide receiver either bounced on the way or took forever to reach the receiver. I just dont see how we can continue to win with the weak QB play. Thanks to Gore for the big runs.. he saved our ass. Pashos or Snyder...flip a coin. Hind sight is 20/20 but I watched the Raven/Charger game a little during the breaks and was pretty impressed with Oher.

Oh I almost forgot, Hey Maddog how about the first Gore touchdown, Baas pulled and sealed the hole nicely. As a matter of fact what i saw today he played well.
[ Edited by kezar49er on Sep 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM ]
This offense is not sustainable. We need a QB who can threaten deep, Hill sometimes throws the deep ball but usually checks down, and the ones he does throw are not on target.

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't be getting better production with Smith.
Originally posted by prometheus:
Even though Hill is winning they need a better qb and while he might be ok the passing is just too inefficient. I think in part that Raye may be part of the problem, not that he is too conservative but his creatitvity is minimal. I mean that Taser should be renamed mouse piss. It is so dull and ineffective, it could be used to lull defenses into a coma. I think the niners really might be working to get Nate up to speed. If they got a qb like Nate going, I think they could be pushing New Orleans for offensive firepower. Especially with Jones coming back soon. They need to get some of the pressure off Gore. I think Singletary is not a person who would stay with crap like the taser long. That is like diving into a empty pool headfirst to see if the aspirin works.
I think too that getting Kory sheets back is pretty vital as it shows that even two runningbacks is risky and some guys are not doing well like Spurlock. I think they really need a runningback supplement to Gore and Coffee. I also feel they could look long at Robinson as special teams has not blocked well and if he is limited, then Sheets might replace him. I think as long as the frontline players hold out the team might be ok but even a few lost players will hurt because of the lack of skills in guys like Shaun Hill, even though he has been doing ok. More and more it seems that Alex has major defects that I mentioned Nate does not and he is a perfect example of how hard it is to get rid of them. I recall how they spoke of Eli Manning and how inept his passing was early on and he threw an amazing number of interceptions too. So Nate has done very well for a raw qb. Just the fact he can get a few deep passes completed would complement this type of offense. We would probably wind up with much less three and outs. Let me congratulate cumulus streaming for their 99 percent garbage commercials and .01 percent game and balance of swamp gas broadcasts. If anyone thinks that service is other then a joke by Crabtree. It seems they operate on the Crabtree principle. Money, me want more money and do nothing.

You probably play way too much Madden. You want that young 10 year type of QB. Guess what I will pass on that and so would a lot of people here. Not mention the pre-season is damn near BS. If you actually think that type of play will get you by in the regular season you are for sure crazy.
The pressure was strong in the beginning, but sort of wore off at the end. It's all good because we still held them to 10 and got the W. I also think we eased off the pressure cause Wallace came in.
[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Sep 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM ]
i think next week we should dump the taser and keep jason active, wtf is up with our other receivers

did morgan even get thrown to?
  • derelict
  • Info N/A
I think the best thing about Shaun Hill is his game management skills. He looks pretty solid despite his shortcomings of natural qb athleticism. We are winning. Next week should be the first true test for our team. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by teeohh:
i think next week we should dump the taser and keep jason active, wtf is up with our other receivers

That tazer pissed me off more than anything today. It didn't work in the preseason and it's not working now. Also if we are going to run it at least use a player that's an actual thread to throw it like Battle or Robinson.

• dj43
Random observations:

Raye's play-calling was really pretty good today. He showed some new stuff- pitch out, shovel pass - though the shovel pass didn't work, it serves a purpose of slowing down the rush.

For the second week in a row, Raye began throwing the ball on that key drive to begin the fourth quarter. That was the game winner right there.

49er WRs are not getting separation. Hill seems to be going through the checks but there isn't much there most of the time.

ROT is still a big problem. Snyder did not appear to be moving well today. Pashos had a penalty and gave up a sack. Let's hope it is timing but you don't get a diamond off a scrap pile. I'm not hopeful. He didn't seem capable of adjusting to an outside move - or adjusting period. He was in for two series and sat down.

Penalty on Heitman on the long pass play was bogus.

Defense played reasonably well but the pass rush was missing. That is a bad thing especially when Seattle was playing third string at OT.

A win is a win is a win. Still, the 49ers have now beaten an AZ team that was clearly out of sync, and now a Seattle team that finished with five starters out of the line up. I am satisfied since 2-0 is as good as you can be after two games, and in this weak division, that is a good thing.

Looking forward to Minne, but very concerned about the match-ups. The Vikings were picked by several to go to the Super Bowl this year. With Favre playing well and AP running well, along with their DL, this will be a severe test.

Gore's ankle will be a problem on turf. Let's hope it is not too serious. If in doubt, rest him next week so it will have time to heal. If he dings it again, it might be a problem all year.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
This offense is not sustainable. We need a QB who can threaten deep, Hill sometimes throws the deep ball but usually checks down, and the ones he does throw are not on target.

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't be getting better production with Smith.

That
The playcalling was offensive no pun intended. Its like we only have 4 run plays as if this is tecmo bowl and just run those all day. I dont see many counters, tosses or stretches. If we are going to be a smashmouth team I would like to see a bigger selection in run calls and more play action calls. We wont push Minn around like that
Hill scares me.
  • Bille
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by teeohh:

That tazer pissed me off more than anything today. It didn't work in the preseason and it's not working now. Also if we are going to run it at least use a player that's an actual thread to throw it like Battle or Robinson.

Well the taser almost worked today, if Spurlock hadn't made a bad throw. I don't know why they don't use robinson, he is most likely the better runner of the two and probably the better passer since he was a college quarterback.
Share 49ersWebzone