There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Allen Rossum - He fell off

Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Didn't they draft crabtree to return kicks

No they drafted Balmer for that.
He was very solid last season...posting career highs in return avg's. He wasn't good against 'Zona...but the guy's a veteran, knows what he has to do and OBTW, got an earful from ST Coach Everett for hesitating during his returns instead of blowing upfield. I'd venture a guess that he'll have a very good game this Sunday. We're set up well for the future, though, w/Spurlock and Sheets.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Method:
I know many of you guys like Allen Rossum as our kick return/ punt return guy, but I think he's done. I feel like the kick/punt returner should be a player who may not have one of the best averages, but is a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball. I'd much rather have someone who can do that over someone like Allen who has a very high average but has a very slim chance of taking it all the way.

A guy like Josh Cribbs, who only has 2 touchdowns for his career as a returner, is still feared by every team that kicks it to him so they actually have to game plan a little more for the threat. For Allen, no one gives a s**t because the dude doesn't have that extra gear anymore.

Are you happy with Allen's play or do you, like I do, hope we get a new PR/KR?

I agree with Rossom looks old and slow out there. My predition is tha he will be cut in the next couple of weeks.

K pass along what u guys are having...
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Let him get a TD and everyone will be on his nuts....
Originally posted by NickSh49:
100% disagree. We are judging this by one game and some preseason play?

Rossum was solid last year. Let's give him some time before we throw him out to pasture, ok?

^^^^ What he said ^^^

LB
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
I know many of you guys like Allen Rossum as our kick return/ punt return guy, but I think he's done. I feel like the kick/punt returner should be a player who may not have one of the best averages, but is a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball. I'd much rather have someone who can do that over someone like Allen who has a very high average but has a very slim chance of taking it all the way.

A guy like Josh Cribbs, who only has 2 touchdowns for his career as a returner, is still feared by every team that kicks it to him so they actually have to game plan a little more for the threat. For Allen, no one gives a s**t because the dude doesn't have that extra gear anymore.

Are you happy with Allen's play or do you, like I do, hope we get a new PR/KR?

Once again people are unhappy unless complaining about something.

The guy had 2 kick returns for 40 yards and 3 punt returns for 30
You should call the 9ers and see if they want to hire you for the scout team you’re good if you can tell a player has lost the ability to return kicks after one game.

In last weeks game the 9ers average starting field position after a Rossum return was the 28 yard line

As long as he is an average return man that takes care of the ball (hasn’t fumbled since putting on a 9er uniform) *knocks on wood* he’s good in my book.

It is the guys 12th season and he’s still petty good. The reason he’s still out there is the team trusts a guy with that much experience other than say a fast flashy guy that will run the ball out of the endzone from three yards deep when your team is up by four points over Tom Brady with under two minutes to go and fumbles the game away.
  • lmathomas
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Let him get a get a TD and everyone will be on his nuts....

hard for him to get a TD with almost every return being kneeled down in the endzone, or fair catched. I'd like to so Sheets back there hes got speed, could end up like Sproles in SD.
Cribbs has a total of 7 career TDs for a return. I like the fact that Rossum gives the team good field position. If we plan to run the ball, field position is imperative.
  • MikeyVnutz
  • Info N/A
no one was saying he was old when he returned that kickoff for a TD in the Arizona game last year on MNF...

the guy never fumbles, gives us decent field position, and still can bring it to the house... your crazy if you think he is getting cut
Yes, he fell off. The Niners were 11th in the league in kick return average in 2007, and 12th in 2008 . . . . WOW!
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Yes, he fell off. The Niners were 11th in the league in kick return average in 2007, and 12th in 2008 . . . . WOW!

In 2008 Balmer had 5 KR for 47 yards along with 6 other guys who returned a kickoff that brings down the avg team KR stats lol
Rossum avg 26.8 yards a return while the team avg was 19.1

In 2007 Hicks was the leading KR with a 23.8 avg and only three other guys returned kicks
Bring Korey sheets He's one our fastest players
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Bring Korey sheets He's one our fastest players

if being fast was the only qualification to being a good KR every team would have a track star
Draft Ussain Bolt?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
100% disagree. We are judging this by one game and some preseason play?

Rossum was solid last year. Let's give him some time before we throw him out to pasture, ok?

this..

not all returners can be a cribs or a hester..
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home