LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 146 users in the forums

Running Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are REALLY missing the speed bounce-it-out back. I know Arizona was in our backfield often but there were also quite a few times where Gore is running into the back of his own line looking for a crease and not going anywhere for a second or two before a defensive player even got a hand on him. On these plays, I think, if Gore had more outside speed, he could have bounced these outside. Arizona was blitzing backers in the middle and clogging the middle entirely. Teams are not afraid of Gore bouncing it outside and gaining much yardage.

I don't know, Sheets is not going to get much playing time if any at all but there is one guy who I think can help us out in this area: Spurlock. I think Spurlock has the quickness and speed to be a temporary change of pace back. He seems to be our utitility knife player on offense.
Speed of our RB's had nothing to do it, when the LBs blitz the gaps knowing the run is coming to that side, you can have whatever running back you want, and it won't matter.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Speed of our RB's had nothing to do it, when the LBs blitz the gaps knowing the run is coming to that side, you can have whatever running back you want, and it won't matter.

Yeah but there were times where he ran into the back of his OL, slightly changed direction, ran into the back of another OL. A speed running back would have quickly bounced it out just outside the tackle and then you have a chance to slightly slice back against the LB trying to contain the outside.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yeah but there were times where he ran into the back of his OL, slightly changed direction, ran into the back of another OL. A speed running back would have quickly bounced it out just outside the tackle and then you have a chance to slightly slice back against the LB trying to contain the outside.

I agree that we need a speedy third down back or they should run more screens because we couldn't get anything going up the middle. Defenses are plugging up the lanes, putting 8 men in the box, and our O-Line seems overmatched. It doesn't help that Coach Sing announces to the world that we will be a running team with 60% of the plays being called will be running.
Sure if we can break the DBs tackles.

Also, not only did their run blitz scheme work, but their defensive linemen also got good penetration, it's hard to the run that ball that way.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I thought Gore should have bounced it outside on a few occasions. He seems too ready to focus on the play as drawn up, as opposed to moving to the outside and taking what is available. Of course, if you do it too much, you miss the holes that a patient back might find (Barlow, for example, was always looking to change where he ran, and we know how that worked out for him). But doing it some will keep the defense honest, imo.

....Rayes playcalling had a lot to do with that
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Sure if we can break the DBs tackles.

Also, not only did their run blitz scheme work, but their defensive linemen also got good penetration, it's hard to the run that ball that way.

Add to the mix: Baas bumbling down the backside of the line like an overweight pumpkin with legs.

I agree Joe. Since they were run blitzing up the middle all day a guy such as Streets/Clayton (you get the idea) would have been an ideal change-of pace back and could run off tackle esp. with pitch-outs. I don't remember one run off tackle. Everything was straight up the gut and into run-blitzing LB's. We could easily have taken advantage of that by running Vernon into the holes the LB's were blitzing from and run off tackle to keep them even more off balanced which THEN would have opened up the middle for Gore.
its one freaking game, we are not gonna run wild on every team, if it happens next game, go crazy and scream for sheets to be called up, and frank gore to be benched.

We won the game, even though we didnt have a ton of yards , we stayed with it kept the defense honest, other teams know they better stack the box against us, cuz if they dont Gore will have a field day, once the passing game starts clicking things will change, but the fact of the matter is, it was the first game of the season we grinded it out and we won

yeah. bottom line is they know what we were going to do, they blitzed their linebackers and blew up the oline. No holes for Frank Gore, I just think we need to mix it up more like we were doing when we were moving the ball. that 70% run s**t aiint going to work. Lest commit to more like 55-45 run pass
Running game? Really, Joecool? You're not preaching abandoning the running game to allow the Second Coming of Joe Montana to throw the ball every down? He is, after all, a gamer, isn't he?
darnell dockett owned our line
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

I agree Joe. Since they were run blitzing up the middle all day a guy such as Streets/Clayton (you get the idea) would have been an ideal change-of pace back and could run off tackle esp. with pitch-outs. I don't remember one run off tackle. Everything was straight up the gut and into run-blitzing LB's. We could easily have taken advantage of that by running Vernon into the holes the LB's were blitzing from and run off tackle to keep them even more off balanced which THEN would have opened up the middle for Gore.

I saw one play where there was no hole and Gore strted to bounce it out, (open field) but didn't and ran it right into back of the pile. I was like "Wtf was that? Gore f**ked that up." It would have been and easy 6 yards or more had he bounced it.
We are REALLY missing the speed bounce-it-out back. I know Arizona was in our backfield often but there were also quite a few times where Gore is running into the back of his own line looking for a crease and not going anywhere for a second or two before a defensive player even got a hand on him. On these plays, I think, if Gore had more outside speed, he could have bounced these outside. Arizona was blitzing backers in the middle and clogging the middle entirely. Teams are not afraid of Gore bouncing it outside and gaining much yardage.

I don't know, Sheets is not going to get much playing time if any at all but there is one guy who I think can help us out in this area: Spurlock. I think Spurlock has the quickness and speed to be a temporary change of pace back. He seems to be our utitility knife player on offense.

Gore is equally quick inside as he is outside. Maybe you need a refresher.

This isn't Madden. A running back just can't decide to 'bounce' it outside when the play dictates an inside run. The same can be said in reverse. If you've ever played football, you'd know this type of approach doesn't work.

Arizona wasn't just blitzing in the middle. They had safeties coming from the outside, zone blitzes and even a corner blitz. The entire defensive game plan was wrapped around stopping the running game. In this way, the very threat of running the ball, while unsuccessful, led to the success the 49ers had in the passing game.

This type of post really demonstrates why NFL teams don't hire fans as coaches.

[ Edited by redrathman on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:02:04 ]
Share 49ersWebzone