LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 373 users in the forums

1st and 5: End around to Bruce!?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Watching the Cards fighting for room to stuff the middle before our line even put their hand on the turff and then watching the team run straight up the middle was difficult. Very predicatable. Singletary and Raye tooting their running horn all offseason has been a detriment to the team.

Unless Raye pulls a rabbit out of his hat and starts making teams pay with the pass, Frank is going to have one of his worst seasons yet.
Raye was being very, very conservative. I can deal with it, if we win.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by kujon11:
yheah i was actually hoping that bruce would throw the ball away because it looked doomed from the start

same, ive noticed in the preseason with the taser and s**t every now and then he will waste a down with a stupid gimmick play. the playcalling wasnt great until the last drive. we need to use more play action and pass more. we need more like a 50/50 balance, 60/40 wont work. i liked that he got vernon involved more in the passing game though.

Dude it was as 50/50 as it's gonna get.

Hill had 31 pass attempts.

Everybody together had 25 rushing attempts.

-9fA

Originally posted by WINiner:
Watching the Cards fighting for room to stuff the middle before our line even put their hand on the turff and then watching the team run straight up the middle was difficult. Very predicatable. Singletary and Raye tooting their running horn all offseason has been a detriment to the team.

Unless Raye pulls a rabbit out of his hat and starts making teams pay with the pass, Frank is going to have one of his worst seasons yet.

We saw Frank running into the stack 3 times in a row! I was expecting a lot more from our "run first" approach.
yheah i was actually hoping that bruce would throw the ball away because it looked doomed from the start

It definitely looked as though he was going to throw it. I thought the play calling was pretty good overall. The end around was suspect and the Shotgun draw on third down on our three yard line was a little strange.
I was wondering why we never tried a pitch to the outside, if their whole team was blitzing and pinching the middle, we would have had at least a 5 yard gain on some form of a quick outside run everytime.

And The shotgun draw, we ran it (what seems like 40 times) in the preseason, so why use it on your 1 yard line, it was terrible.

Midway through the 3rd q, i wanted to turn the game off when they were on Offense, it was terrible to watch.
  • titan
  • Veteran
We were just trying to SYKE their minds! they were like "what the hell we ain't messin with this team! No one in the right mind would do a reverse with BRUCE!"LOL.
All Jokes aside TRASH THAT PLAY! or USE SOMEONE ELSE!
Originally posted by titan:
We were just trying to SYKE their minds! they were like "what the hell we ain't messin with this team! No one in the right mind would do a reverse with BRUCE!"LOL.
All Jokes aside TRASH THAT PLAY! or USE SOMEONE ELSE!

I vote trash it, or subsitute it with a qb kneel, because a qb kneel would lose less yards..

And would have been just as useless in teh same situation.
Can we rename this the play calling thread? I think it is something we need to be concerned about.

You don't have to cast far and wide to find Jimmy Raye haters out there. I think one of the #1 beefs is his play calling. Singletary needs to put some influence on this. I felt like alot of the game we tried to be too cute with the play calling.

Arizona had a very simple defensive scheme for us that we did not move away from. They simply run blitzed between the tackles. This effectively blew up both our running and passing game.

It blew up the passing game because if it wasn't a run they were in position to blow up the play pass.

It blew up the run because we ran two kinds of running plays.
1) Slow developing plays like the reverse or draws.
2) Up the gut.
Essentially arizona got in the gaps and blitzed for paydirt be it run or playpass.

I think we could have had much better success trying to get the edge on Arizona. I'm all for the run first philosophy. However you have to get outside the tackles once in a while.

We also failed miserably in executing screen plays. Arizona was killing us with hightower. Thank goodness we put lawson on hightower as a spy late in the game.
he should have used someone else, like hill or even rossum

To me the worst call of the game was draw to gore when we were backed up near our end zone in the 4th and needed a 1st down. That was a disaster. WE should have trusted hill to throw the ball. If we were going to keep it on the ground then we should have run something less risky.
Originally posted by VA49er:
To me the worst call of the game was draw to gore when we were backed up near our end zone in the 4th and needed a 1st down. That was a disaster. WE should have trusted hill to throw the ball. If we were going to keep it on the ground then we should have run something less risky.

Yeah, when we got the ball with 1:51 left I said we have to get a first down. We need to at least gain some yardage if we do punt. We can't give them the ball back right away. Thank god for Justin Smith or I could have seen Warner throwing the hail mary down there and Fitz or Boldin grabbing it. It happened before halftime one last year I believe.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

That pisses me off when guys just don't know to throw it away there. Especially a seasoned Vet like Isaac.

I think that if you thorw away in that type of situation, you're gonna get a inelligible man downfield penalty.

You couldn't see it with the feed they showed on TV, but you're almost certainly correct. It was a running play and those big linemen push upfield on those plays. Almost certainly at least one of them would have been upfield and a penalty would have ensued. Sometimes the defense sniffs out those types of plays and gets good penetration, and that just happen to be one of them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Worst play call of the game but there were a lot of other ones.
If Bruce had thrown it away, wouldn't it have been illegal blocking down field?
Share 49ersWebzone