There are 196 users in the forums

1st and 5: End around to Bruce!?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was not impressed with Raye's playcalling today. An end around on 1st and 5...WTF!? If your gonna run that play, dont use a slow receiver and dont do it on 1st and 5. That was a HORRIBLE call.
Also, I was frustrated that it took so long to try passing after the run was getting stuffed for 3 whole quarters. I mean, the passing game won us the game. That 50 yard pass to Isaac Bruce set up our first touchdown and we drove down the field after we opened up the passing game in the 4th quarter. Just because we want to base our offense on the running game doesn't mean that we cant throw the ball if the run isnt working.

Go 9ers!
yheah i was actually hoping that bruce would throw the ball away because it looked doomed from the start
Originally posted by kujon11:
yheah i was actually hoping that bruce would throw the ball away because it looked doomed from the start

That pisses me off when guys just don't know to throw it away there. Especially a seasoned Vet like Isaac.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

That pisses me off when guys just don't know to throw it away there. Especially a seasoned Vet like Isaac.

maybe he forgot what was happening half way through the play

same, ive noticed in the preseason with the taser and s**t every now and then he will waste a down with a stupid gimmick play. the playcalling wasnt great until the last drive. we need to use more play action and pass more. we need more like a 50/50 balance, 60/40 wont work. i liked that he got vernon involved more in the passing game though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

same, ive noticed in the preseason with the taser and s**t every now and then he will waste a down with a stupid gimmick play. the playcalling wasnt great until the last drive. we need to use more play action and pass more. we need more like a 50/50 balance, 60/40 wont work. i liked that he got vernon involved more in the passing game though.

i think id be ok with arnaz battle running it vs bruce. battle at least has some throwing skills in him and some nice tackle breaking ability. im going to withhold any judgement on the offense for now until maybe the fourth game because maybe next week, we'll be playaction-ing the sea chickens all game

Dude it was as 50/50 as it's gonna get.

Hill had 31 pass attempts.

Everybody together had 25 rushing attempts.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Dude it was as 50/50 as it's gonna get. Hill had 31 pass attempts. Everybody together had 25 rushing attempts. -9fA

yea, my problem was 13 of the passes werent attempted until the final drive. there were 2 or 3 times where we went run run run punt. there were 5 runs during and after the 15 play drive, 2 during and 3 after followed by a punt. so prior to that drive we were at 20 runs and 18 passes. we were too predictable at times. there is was a lot to like but at the same time a lot to improve.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Dude it was as 50/50 as it's gonna get. Hill had 31 pass attempts. Everybody together had 25 rushing attempts. -9fA

yea, my problem was 13 of the passes werent attempted until the final drive. there were 2 or 3 times where we went run run run punt. there were 5 runs during and after the 15 play drive, 2 during and 3 after followed by a punt. so prior to that drive we were at 20 runs and 18 passes. we were too predictable at times. there is was a lot to like but at the same time a lot to improve.

i personally think the most wtf playcall was the draw when we were in our own endzone
i personally think the most wtf playcall was the draw when we were in our own endzone

yeah i agree with both you guys that there could have been a better distribution of the run and the pass. It did seem that we leaned heavily towards the run early on, but then again, it's what we're trying to establish.

To Raye's credit, he knew when the time was right to move away from it.

And yeah, to me there were two WTF calls. The draw and the end around.

-9fA

I think that if you thorw away in that type of situation, you're gonna get a inelligible man downfield penalty.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

I think that if you thorw away in that type of situation, you're gonna get a inelligible man downfield penalty.

good call. with the penalty though, we could have replayed the down right?
  • B650
  • Veteran
On that 1st and 5 I would've liked either a play-action screen to Davis or something down the field to Morgan. It was a good time to take a chance.
the draw from our redzone with abunch of yards needed for a 1st down and the end around with slow ass isaac bruce were the two biggest WTF's of the day. if your gonna do an end around use someone fast atleast. they tried it last year with bruce and lost over 10 yards. I'd like to see Gore used like Hightower was for zona today. they didnt shoot gore any of those screens or dump offs like they should be doing. part of it was Hill focusing too much on his 1st read, on Gore's receiving TD other guys were open in the endzone on 1st and 2nd downs and he didnt look for them. i think he will adjust though, Shaun will get used to it as he gets more experience. play actions, screens and sweeps are what would work best for this team, especially when running up the gut was not working in the slightest today.
I think this is where you gotta use a guy like Spurlock who is quick and shifty. I think it would of worked had we used a faster WR.
Share 49ersWebzone