LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 218 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As usual, horrible opening offense/playcalling, with Hill in the clutch to save the game. -But it pisses me still that it took about 3 quarters for Raye to abandon the run and focus on the pass. This "we'll run when we need to, and pass when we need to" mentality will get us into some deep s**t down the stretch.

Win is a win though, and we upset the NFL this week!
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Like I wrote on the gameday thread. Any OC that says he wants to "establish the run" in this day and age needs to get fired right there.

Yeah like Cam Cameron in Baltimore oh wait...
Gore doesnt do well against the cardinals every game. They have a disruptive line and a good lb in dansby and a linebacker at safety in Adrian Wilson. Every team doesnt play the run that well so get over it

I'm using a hiperbole, obviously. Cameron says that, but does not do it. Nobody does it.

For the last time: "establishing the run" is a Myth. You run when you win, not the other way around.
Cardinals defensive game plan was stop the run and dare Hill to beat them. He had zero interceptions and was 18 of 31. Hill was Hill and did a decent job. Admit when he had that 14 yard sack and took us out of field goal range was ready to throw my TV out the window.
Playcalling was horrid
Shaun Hill is a gamer...its the truth
OL sucks at both pass and run blocking
Gore is fine
Bruce rocks
VD and Josh looked very very good at certain points
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Yeah fire Jimmy Raye, and hire Jim Hostler I am sure he is available

I all seriousness, lets give him another week, it was the 1st game, he called some good plays on that one TD drive, so lets give it another week before we burn him at the stake.

Hill will look at the tape and realize he has a bit more time in the pocket then he thought and will learn to look for his 2nd and 3rd reads. He had Morgan wide open on that TD drive, so he just needs to calm down and make the reads. If he can make those adjustments I think he will be okay.

Now the run game, that is a bigger issue, I agree we need to use Gore but when they are stacking 8 in the box?
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
f**k all the Hill haters. Like I said earlier, let Hill throw the ball and we'll be fine. GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol Hill sucks the whole game, comes thru on one series and now he's a word beater?

hills long ball is horrible

free Alexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Say No to Alex.

I have seen enough roll out to the right and throw it away to last a lifetime...
  • Sandhog
  • Info N/A
We got lucky this go around. Play calling didn't inspire a lot of confidence overall, but Shaun Hill needs to step it up. I don't understand why we didn't go to the screen more. Az was bringing the heat all day and a good 1/3 of their yardage came from the screen to Hightower. Why didn't we run the screen more? It was open damn near all game. Hopefully they will see this and adjust.

Shaun Hill doesn't inspire me much. He just freezes in the pocket and won't slide up or laterally. Maybe this will be corrected, although I am not holding my breath. We could have put this game away in the beginning of the 3rd and didn't.

Man we are so close! O-line was shaky, but not so terrible that a quality qb couldn't make a positive difference. Man just freaking slide a bit in the pocket!! We've got a lot of entertaining games to look forward to this season, but until we get a 'good' qb we'll lose games we should win.

[ Edited by Sandhog on Sep 13, 2009 at 16:56:53 ]
Look for me at the Candlestick season opener with a sign that says.......

Run, Run , Run....Doesnt get it done.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

That would be awesome!
And BTW, If Martz was our OC today, this game would have been 40 -10 or something like that

Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Like I wrote on the gameday thread. Any OC that says he wants to "establish the run" in this day and age needs to get fired right there.

Yeah like Cam Cameron in Baltimore oh wait...
Gore doesnt do well against the cardinals every game. They have a disruptive line and a good lb in dansby and a linebacker at safety in Adrian Wilson. Every team doesnt play the run that well so get over it

Not every team will be able to shut down Gore.
Running game? Where?

Hill looked absolutely horrible on a lot of easy short throws, he missed some wide open reads, held the ball too long many times, and kept throwing into triple coverage. New QB by season's half please. The D can't keep winning games like this. Or can they?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

• Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
What have we learned from today's game ?

That the ENTIRE UNIVERSE knows that our offense is predicated on Gore's legs. And thats why we had our BEST outing when we shifted focus to Hill's arm.

I hope Raye learned a LOT from this game. We need to use Hill's arm to set up the run, not the other way around.

I agree slightly with the above. The run is predictable with us and whilst he might be committed to it I hope he will find better ways to set it up than what he did today. I can't see many coaches in the NFL being threatened with such a limited game plan.

I thought the TEs played really well and our starting WRs are still a threat. I think Jones may really open is when he gets back as the deep threat wasn't consistently there even though we gained a huge amount off it ont he scoring drive.
Originally posted by Esco:
Be civil

Ok Esco. The run. Sucked aaaaallllllll day and swallowed.

The pass was ok but there were intermittent cock sucking going on, esp in the 3rd quarter.

Is that civil enough for yah.
Share 49ersWebzone