LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jimmy's play calling was horrible. AZ kept blitzing staight up the middle and he had no answer for it. I know that he is a Norv Turner deciple but he does not call plays like him. Norv would have moved the pocket around to help the running and passing game. Norv would have called more boot legs. I know that Shaun isn't as mobile as Alex, but he isn't that slow. CALL SOME BOOT LEGS PLEASE!!!!!!!
the play-calling was questionable at times

However, the worst part about today

was the execution of running plays by the O-Line

that was pathetic.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Originally posted by Nuns:

Lol Hill sucks the whole game, comes thru on one series and now he's a word beater?

Hill did not suck the whole game. He is a winner, and improved his record as a starting qb. He threw a nice long ball and did it all with almost no running game.

He just beat the reigning NFC champions in their own backyard.

..........and so-called niniers fans are still hating on him. Go figure!

Hill didn't beat anyone. Our defense won the game. We went 3 and out four times in a row. Hill missed tons of passes. Even on his "great" drive at least 2 of his conversions where on 3rd down. So he can complete a short pass, big f**kin deal! Any quality (not elite) qb can do that. Hill is nothing special and either is Alex. There is no reason to believe Davis couldn't of done exactly what Hill did. To be a quality QB you gotta be good 4 quarters, enough with this 1 good quarter bulls**t.

All you Hill supporters, do you really think we can win a championship with him.....lol....surely you jest

Soooo putting Davis in puts us in the Superbowl?

Sweet!
Not at all my good man, but maybe we can develop a young guy with a truck load of more potential.
  • kirkfiege
  • Info N/A
I think that Raye called a good game except for the third down at the end, (a PA rollout was completely open as the Arizona D was selling out for the power side run).
Arizona was daring us to throw all day (run blitzes turn into pass blitzes pretty quickly!), and we had some receivers open but we couldn't connect. A lot of that lands on Shaun Hill.
He did his job well in the long drive though.

Darnell Docket is a great player that looked legendary thanks to our o-line.

Our defense looked great, if we can get some yards going on offense I really like our team this year.
  • Sandhog
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by ninergold:
So much for smash mouth football and running the ball.

No kidding. That was a joke. Nolan was ultimately fired for being unable to adjust and sticking to his guns no matter what the outcome. Singletary better think long and hard about this run first mentality. It got us nowhere today and almost cost us the game.

Yeah, I give Hill somewhat of a pass for this week, because the playcalling was obvious. Even my wife was asking why do they keep running right up the middle, they don't get anything? I should have dvr'd it, but watching the 1st half the screen was wiiiide open and we never took advantage of it like the Cards did. I still don't hold out a lot of hope for Hill as he just doesn't seem to posess any pocket presence. I'll probably get crucified for this: Hill has less pocket presence than Smith and Davis. From what I have seen he is marginally better than O'Sullivan in that he doesn't turn it over nearly as much. For jimminey's sake, step up, or slide over! As much as the Cards blitzed they only went jail-break a couple times; most of the pressure could have been avoided with a little pocket presence.

IMO we go qb with one our 1sts next year and let Davis/draft pick battle it out. If we don't I'll be sorely disappointed. Barring Hill or Smith suddenly going all-world, which I don't think will happen.
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Originally posted by Nuns:

Lol Hill sucks the whole game, comes thru on one series and now he's a word beater?

Hill did not suck the whole game. He is a winner, and improved his record as a starting qb. He threw a nice long ball and did it all with almost no running game.

He just beat the reigning NFC champions in their own backyard.

..........and so-called niniers fans are still hating on him. Go figure!

Hill didn't beat anyone. Our defense won the game. We went 3 and out four times in a row. Hill missed tons of passes. Even on his "great" drive at least 2 of his conversions where on 3rd down. So he can complete a short pass, big f**kin deal! Any quality (not elite) qb can do that. Hill is nothing special and either is Alex. There is no reason to believe Davis couldn't of done exactly what Hill did. To be a quality QB you gotta be good 4 quarters, enough with this 1 good quarter bulls**t.

All you Hill supporters, do you really think we can win a championship with him.....lol....surely you jest

Sweet!
Originally posted by oakland-niner:

Not at all my good man, but maybe we can develop a young guy with a truck load of more potential.

I agree completely we should already give up on this season since there is no way we will ever make the playoffs after the way we played our first game.

Maybe Davis can help our guards block better on our running game also.

All hail the great Davis!

[ Edited by joey82 on Sep 13, 2009 at 18:19:35 ]

Sweet!

quote this to continue the convo. my head is going to explode.
the offense was pathetic! the o-line played like crap. the play calling was horrid. arizzona new everytime when we where going to run it. notice how they blitzed us on every run? because of the formation. 2 rb's & 2 te's? wow. yes the last drive was clutch, but i'd be worried, because we couldn't execute all day. the way our defense played it should've been a blow out!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
O line needs to step it up bigtime, Hill needs to look like that TD drive more often.

+1
Originally posted by rob28:
as long as we keep hill in and alex on the bench, we can win ugly games like this. if alex was in there he would've blew the game for us somehow.

That's just pure speculation, Smith has proved he can lead a comeback win against the tards already...so what are you basing your conjecture on...aside from personal dislike for Smith?

The A gap is constantly getting raped again. I'm really really disappointed in the Niners o line partically concerning the run blocking. Everything else gets a pass due to the win. Besides that I really can't kill anybody else. VD showed up big when they needed him and pass protection looked alot beeter than i thought it would. A lot of positives and good things to build on offensively.
Originally posted by lamontb:
The A gap is constantly getting raped again. I'm really really disappointed in the Niners o line partically concerning the run blocking. Everything else gets a pass due to the win. Besides that I really can't kill anybody else. VD showed up big when they needed him and pass protection looked alot beeter than i thought it would. A lot of positives and good things to build on offensively.

a lot of positives to build on offensively? man our offense sucked. we lookecd like crap. arizona new when we where going to run the ball. if it wasnt for our defense we would've lost that game
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Fire jimmy raye
Here is what I saw, minus volume at the sports bar here in Ohio:

1) Hill seems to always make it look ugly, but in the end, he wins. I don't know how far he can take us, but the guys always seem to rally in the end behind him, even if he is off for much of the game. Very solid final drive.

2) I paid a LOT of attention to the OL, and here is how I would grade them:
* Staley and Heitmann played well for the majority of snaps. I saw Staley beaten twice, but not cleanly. Heitmann was beaten once on a run play, and a mix-up on pass protection with an inside blitz. Staley controlled the edge in the pass rush well, but was mediocre in run blocking. Heitmann did a fine job orchestrating protection for the myriad of inside blitzes the Cards through at the Niners all day. Had a great block, along with Rachal, on Gore's inside TD run. Brilliant by both players.
* Rachal had an up and down day. Gore's TD run was beautiful. Had some nice blocks on downfield runs. Runs very well on screen plays. His continual problem is angles. He seems to be beat far too often (some that were embarrassing) with quick interior defenders, and will need to be more consistent to be considered a solid starter. A certain work in progress.
* Baas really struggled today. Did a nice job on a few interior runs, but, like Rachal, takes bad angles. Unlike Rachal, he does not have the athleticism to recover, and, gets burned way too often. A serious problem all day for our OL. However, he was not the worst.
* Snyder- All I can say is "Yikes"! Until that last drive, was absolutely abominable. Torched repeatedly around the corner all afternoon, missed blocking assignments on run plays, looked really stiff, and has to be replaced. I couldn't figure out which RT on the field played worse in this game, since both stunk up the joint. As much as the majority of the board hates Sims, I have never seen Sims play this badly in a game. The team has to take a serious look at Pashos this week, and honestly, I'd be surprised if Snyder starts against the Seahawks. Made me pray for the return of Kwame Harris or Anthony Clements.

3) The Niners have to solve their problem with teams stacking the box. Until the end of the game (and I have no idea why the Cards played back in the final drive), the Cards showed no respect to the passing game. Frank Gore is going to look like Al Gore running the football if 8 guys are stacked in the box on every down.

Dare I say the two most evil words in the world: Michael Crabtree. Whether it is him, or someone else who the defense has to take seriously, this is going to be a problem.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Defense won this game. Defense will be top 15 for sure.

Hill was all over the place. He seriously looked like Alex today. I don't see much difference. He made some terrible throws and made some good ones too. He has two solid drives and and a bunch of shtty ones.

I'm not worried though. As long as Hill gets more reps and is more consistent we will be fine. We need to be more aggressive though. This 60% run sht isn't going to work every time.

Offense - C

I agree with This....Hill Homers need to calm down...he had a decent game but the Defense won the game for us today....we must improve our run game....but I don't understand why everyone is so shocked about Raye and his play calling....this guy has been hot garbage his whole career....he had 1 winning season with the Chiefs and that's it. But a Win is a Win and I feel good about beating the CARDS... :)
Share 49ersWebzone