There are 174 users in the forums

Spencer wins #2 corner spot

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DANADA:
woooooooooooooooooooooo

Eddie Murphy is starting again

lmao
here's hoping Spencer has a productive, healthy season.

go niners.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Im really suprised to hear this, I guess Spencer was having a good TC and pre-season, you rarely heard his name called which is a good thing for a corner but im surpised. Maybe it's because he has experince vs the Cardinals receivers and he has much better size to go up against them? I don't know....

I thought Bly was playing pretty well, certainly better than Clements.

I think the thing with Clements is the coaches have seen him for a while and know what he does. He was having a pretty dam good camp too. I think its alotta technical suff Clements was messing up in and my guess is the coaches expect him to clean it up in time for Az. If he messes up more tho we got dam good depth in Brown, Bly hll even Reggie Smith can double as a corner.

With Spencer im mad pleasantly suprised. I know Shawntae was playing lights out in preseason. He didnt mak any waves but he was completely shuttig his guy down. I stll didnt think he shook Bly for the job. brown yes...brown didnt play all that much. but dam....this bodes very very well for our team...provided this competition wasnt fixed
Significant victory for Spencer, possibly 49ers

September 7, 2009 5:27 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The 49ers' decision to name Shawntae Spencer as their starting cornerback opposite Nate Clements looks like a welcome development after the team lost Walt Harris to a season-ending injury during minicamps.

Dre Bly showed enough during training camp to project as a potential starter, but he's an older player best suited for a situational role. The team likes Tarell Brown as well, but injuries have slowed him and Brown lacks experience.

Having Spencer rise up and win the job less than one year after suffering a season-ending knee injury stands as a victory for Spencer and possibly the 49ers. Spencer started 13 games in 2006. The knee injury he suffered last season forced him to earn his way back. The standing he once enjoyed as a 2004 second-round draft choice no longer mattered.

Now comes the hard part: matching up against the Cardinals' receievers in Week 1.
It's because Bly is going to play left corner after they sit Nate's sorry ass! ;)
I can definitely say one thing...

Our secondary is filled with playmakers! I think each DB can step up and make things happen for this defense.
This is great news...Spencer was a good cover corner for us....he's just injury prone. If he can stay healthy....he can be a difference maker. I also noticed in the pre-season he plays more physical now...I think that's what tip the scale in his favor.

Clements better watch out....if he keeps f**king up...Samuri Mike won't hesitate to pull his ass...with the depth we have on our team now....either way.....were good to go..
Originally posted by sincalniner:
It's because Bly is going to play left corner after they sit Nate's sorry ass! ;)

My feelings exactly. Clements would be benched if he did not make so much money. He is looking like Antonio Langham
That is a good sign that Manusky/Sing are not just going the party line. If Spencer won it fair and square that is a good sign for our backfiled. Brown and Bly are very good backups. Now if Goldson will pick off some interceptions we could have a high turnover backfield. Good news! If Clements really is having a difficult time with covering then the we have Bly and Brown ready to take his slot.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
That is a good sign that Manusky/Sing are not just going the party line. If Spencer won it fair and square that is a good sign for our backfiled. Brown and Bly are very good backups. Now if Goldson will pick off some interceptions we could have a high turnover backfield. Good news! If Clements really is having a difficult time with covering then the we have Bly and Brown ready to take his slot.

This shows we as fans know jack compared to those making the decisions....I'm glad a younger player won the job...I wish it was Brown since he's the youngest but whatever.

Clements will never lose his job....he's a solid #1 CB in the league and EVERY team would like to have him....later down the line he will probably move to FS.

• dmatt
  • Veteran
Didn't see that coming.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

This shows we as fans know jack compared to those making the decisions....I'm glad a younger player won the job...I wish it was Brown since he's the youngest but whatever.

Clements will never lose his job....he's a solid #1 CB in the league and EVERY team would like to have him....later down the line he will probably move to FS.

Not for the kind of money the Niners are paying him.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by momoney925:
NICE
i love shawntae spencer..

His one and only career highlight.

Kitna got "jacked up" on that play.
I believe that Maiocco or Barrows reported a few days ago that NO ONE caught a pass on Spencer this pre-season, in-game or in-practice. If true, that has to count for something. Certainly, Spencer would have gotten Jon Kitna's vote, if he had one. Also keep in mind that Spencer is an "outside" corner. His body-type is not well-suited to covering the slot-back guy. Brown and Bly are both better-suited to covering a slot receiver. Two years ago, whenever, Spencer came in as the nickel guy, Spencer would actually pay a wide-out, and Walt Harris would take the slot guy.

The big thing now will be Bly's ego. How will Bly handle being on the fringe of the spotlight, instead of being center stage? Certainly, the top 3 CB's will get plenty of action vs Arizona, but beyond that, PT could be more scarce.

Brown is also a super confident guy, who possibly get in a funk, so the coaching staff needs to do a superior job of communicating (listening) with all of these guys.

"No sir. I don't like it."
Share 49ersWebzone