There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We Signed Pashos !!

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
from looking at the jaguar blogs it doesn't look too great of a signing. Most of their fans are happy to get rid of him apparently:

"i'm very happy to see him cut, he was one of the worst tackles i've seen play and had probably the worst feet of any tackle i've seen by far. he just look like a tall uncordinated ogre chasing the d line rather then blocking them"

"the dude sucked, we have good depth still, all our OL guys have started multiple games in the NFL, outside of Monroe and Britten"

"so long tony penalty... I mean pashos"

"hallejuja!"

"Let's see if some sucker team will pay him what he believes is fit. "

"banana.gif banana.gif bye bye Mr Penalty "

"wooohooo....screw the money, thats about 30 yards per game in penalties we just saved "

Wow did we do the right thing. With this front office of noobs and business people not football people I have no idea. The front office hasn't successfully addressed the teams true needs for the past five years, the Marvel Smith signing, the Crabtree drafting, the Alex Smith signing. I just don't think they "mgmt" does their fair share of homework.

Whenever a team loses a potential starter, those comments become all too common. I remember the forum blasting JPeterson when he left us for Seattle. Even when Beasley as well as others left, we kind of gave that "good riddens" attitude. They lost a potential starter. We gained one for relatively cheap.

+ 1 for us.

Dude, that never happened. There might have been 2 or 3 guys happy that we traded Julian Peterson, but there's no way a majority ever said anything like that.

lol come on now.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by syoung8:
Originally posted by dj43:
Let's temper our enthusiasm for this a little bit by the recognition that the Jags drafted two OTs, one of which would replace Pashos. If Pashos were something special, Jacksonville would not have drafted the way they did.

What the 49ers got was what they were looking for; a BACKUP tackle. This allows Sims to become the swing man and Snyder to stay at ROT. That allows Snyder to concentrate on one spot and gives the 49ers the depth they were seeking.

the reasons were not due to poor play but to his High salary jacksonville is a team that is making no money and right now is blacked out on all home games!!! it was a $$$ move not cuz sucks!
I disagree. Two reasons:

1. $4.9MILLION is NOT a lot of money for a starting OT in this league.

2. If he were so good, why did Jacksonville draft TWO offensive tackles. Monroe, the #8 pick in the draft will cost more than Pashos. Eben Britton, picked in the second round, will be no bargain either.

Sorry, the facts suggest Pashos was not the quality starter some are suggesting he might be. He has substantial flaws in his game for a guy that has been in the league 7 years.

It was a cap move. Pashos had been moved to guard after they draft the Monroe and Britton and he didn't want to take the pay cut that entailed being moved, not to mention they were overcrowded at the tackle position. He played solid at RT last season. Taking Britton and putting him at RT won't cost as much as keeping Pashos contract. Tony is a stud but he is one hell of an upgrade over Sims that is forsure.
I stand by my comment that the Jags would not have drafted the way they did if they felt Pashos was all that good. However, it isn't worth a big debate because the 49ers clearly needed to pick up another OT before the league started and they got one. The fact Foerster is familiar with him is a plus. Whether he starts, is a backup, is better/worse than Sims, I could care less at this point.

It is clear McCloughan was doing his homework. He figured out Pashos might become available based on the draft picks. He followed the progress during practice games. He scouted him last Thursday night...and signed him. It looks like that will prove to be a good strategy.

Now as to a pass rusher...
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Greatest signing ever.

That is, until he gives up a sack.

Then he's Satan, yes, even more evil than Barry Sims.

Not possible

Yeah it is! Kwame Harris
This was a very good signing...I was watching NFL-N the other day and the four guys on the panel were talking about the players cut. Time and again they were all talking about Pashos and how he was the best OL out there. I've seen him play for the Jags and always thought he was a good player. Getting an OT this way is pretty rare, but I think Mac deserves some credit for closing the deal on a player several teams were after. Assuming he stays healthy, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mac try to sign him longer term. He started all 16 games for the Jags...other than Staley, we haven't had a RT do that for a long time. He's worth signing on that note alone.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
dont know if this was posted, from scouts inc

"Pashos has been with two teams during his seven year career, four seasons with Baltimore and the past three with Jacksonville. He started all 16 games at right tackle for the Jaguars in 2008 and does a good job of anchoring that side of the offensive line. He is a massive tackle with long arms, excellent strength and adequate athleticism. He is a powerful drive blocker that often simply engulfs opponents and uses his long arms to lock up opponents and drive them off the line.

He is not a natural knee bender and has to work to keep his pad level down to leverage his blocks. He tends to grab wide to engulf opponents and has just enough foot agility to work his way around and seal opponents off. He has limited lateral range in pass protection and often has to turn his hips to run rushers on by the pocket. He is susceptible to counter moves but can sink his hips to hunker down versus the bull rush."
The second paragraph sounds just like the guy that played ROT for the 49ers two years ago.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
It only tells how much credibility you have in you roster "analysis".

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Twister68:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
Awesome move! Give scotty some credit...

Not until I actually see Pashos on the field.

I gave Scotty credit for:

Jones
Evans
Marvel Smith
Convincing us we didn't need someone to upgrade pass-rush
Drafting Crabtree
---------------------------------

Let's see how that pans out first.

"No way that (Kory Sheets going to PS) happens. Another team is going to pick-up Sheets"

Expertise?

Don't follow the logic - waiting to see how this decision pans out has what to do with Sheets again?
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
This was a very good signing...I was watching NFL-N the other day and the four guys on the panel were talking about the players cut. Time and again they were all talking about Pashos and how he was the best OL out there. I've seen him play for the Jags and always thought he was a good player. Getting an OT this way is pretty rare, but I think Mac deserves some credit for closing the deal on a player several teams were after. Assuming he stays healthy, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mac try to sign him longer term. He started all 16 games for the Jags...other than Staley, we haven't had a RT do that for a long time. He's worth signing on that note alone.

We will see if Mac simply jumped on Pashos because other teams wanted him too, or if because he did his homework and determined this guy offeres something to our team.....According to Jags fans, and the Fans are the best indicator of a players true worth (anyone remember the Bills fans laughing at us when we were all super stoked to get JJ, telling us how injury prone he was and that he would rarely play for us?) we are getting a guy similar to Sims in ability and liability.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

We will see if Mac simply jumped on Pashos because other teams wanted him too, or if because he did his homework and determined this guy offeres something to our team.....According to Jags fans, and the Fans are the best indicator of a players true worth (anyone remember the Bills fans laughing at us when we were all super stoked to get JJ, telling us how injury prone he was and that he would rarely play for us?) we are getting a guy similar to Sims in ability and liability.

Except that he's better than Sims. I don't think any one is thinking that we just picked up a Pro Bowler here, just some needed OL depth.
does anyone know his madden rating? i googled the s**t out of it and couldn't find anything. not at home to just check...