LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Signed Practice Squad Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Teams can still pluck players from PS's so u can bet teams in need of an rb will consider sheets.
Definitely very pleased that many of these players (most notably Sheets, Boone, and Mitchell) made it to our PS. I'm a bit puzzled on the WR Dobson addition, and a bit disappointed to say g'bye to Jay Moore. That's the way it goes though... still a happy outcome overall.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by boast:
good. now he can learn how to pass protect.

and hopefully he'll teach Coffee and Robinson what he learns.

Coffee, not Robinson is the one that needs some work in that area. Coffee was only slightly better than Sheets in blocking and blitz pickups. However, Coffee was by far the better runner.

Robinson is cursed by having excellent skills in areas that many on this board do not realize. He does a lot of little things on ST that make him a valuable role-player on this team.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
as to the Sheets inability to block:

of course he has to round out his game, but he could still play a role on this, or another, team. I think the PS is the best situation for him, but I think its kind of silly for people to contend that if he can't pickup the blitz he can't be on the roster. There's a number of ways you could structure an offense to mask players weaknesses. Just sayin'.

Apparently Sheets did show enough progress in certain weak areas for the team to bring him back to continue learning.

Small, quick backs like Sheets are a dime a dozen, however, if they can improve need areas they can be useful. He is worth a slot on the PS for now.
a question about practice squad. say someone wants sheets. do we get the opportunity to "match" them and put him on the active roster? or can a team just come along and say "theeeeeeeeenks!" south park style and take him?
  • dj43
Originally posted by frenchmov:
a question about practice squad. say someone wants sheets. do we get the opportunity to "match" them and put him on the active roster? or can a team just come along and say "theeeeeeeeenks!" south park style and take him?

No matching. However, for a team to claim a player from a practice squad, they must put that player on their 53 man roster. Hence, it is HIGHLY unlikely anyone will claim Sheets, at least until some games are played and a RB is lost for an extended period of time.

Everybody needs to relax on Sheets. He isn't that good. No one is going to claim and put him on the 53 now if they weren't willing to put him on their PRACTICE SQUAD.
Originally posted by dj43:

No matching. However, for a team to claim a player from a practice squad, they must put that player on their 53 man roster. Hence, it is HIGHLY unlikely anyone will claim Sheets, at least until some games are played and a RB is lost for an extended period of time.

Everybody needs to relax on Sheets. He isn't that good. No one is going to claim and put him on the 53 now if they weren't willing to put him on their PRACTICE SQUAD.

I was wondering this too, but I think the only way we can "match" is if we catch wind of interest then we add him to our 53-man first. I remember some variation of this happened last season, but I don't recall any specifics.
How did Terrail Lambert not make the squad? Did Dobson Collins even play? lol
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
How did Terrail Lambert not make the squad? Did Dobson Collins even play? lol

Yeah, I was liking Lambert...the Matts even figured he would make the PS. Kinda confused about the Collins pick too. Good height, but thin - 6'2" 178. Z is 6'3" 185
Of all the players on the practice squad miller probably has the best chance to become a decent starter for the niners over time. I can see him becoming a full back/2nd TE/ST type in time.

• dj43
Originally posted by showtime49:
Originally posted by dj43:

I was wondering this too, but I think the only way we can "match" is if we catch wind of interest then we add him to our 53-man first. I remember some variation of this happened last season, but I don't recall any specifics.
When a player is released, all teams with an interest submit their claim to the league office. The league selects the claim from the lowest ranked team in the league. Once that claim is selected, the player is gone. No chance to protect them.

Now if you are wondering how to put a mole in the league office, I can't help you there.
Nice group, for the most part. I, like many around here, am relieved that we signed Sheets to the PS. Although I'm still a little worried that he's one injured RB away from being signed onto someone else's active roster. I think there's a real good chance that next year our WR core will be much more solidified and we'll be able to keep 5 RBs. If that happens, Sheets could make the final roster next year.

I'm glad Mitchel made it. I like what I saw from him. He seems like he has the potential to develop into a backup NT.

I still feel like Pascoe has more potential than Finley. And for a PS guy that should be important. Oh well.

Nice to have Zeigler around in case we have anymore injuries at WR.

Overall, I'm
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I'm glad Mitchel made it. I like what I saw from him. He seems like he has the potential to develop into a STARTING NT.

Overall, I'm

Fixed!

• dj43
Boone is the most intriguing player on the PS. He is huge, strong, needs work on his footwork technique but improved enough to stay on the PS. His "character" issues likely kept him from being a late draft pick by somebody. For a team that is now searching the waiver wires for a backup ROT, Boone may be the guy by mid-season.

None of the other PS guys are much more than practice time fodder IMO.
You do have a chance to match once the player makes it to the P Squad. The only thing we had to be worried about was him clearing waivers and he did.
Share 49ersWebzone