There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Roster List (53 Man)

• whole49yards
  • Info N/A
I like Sheets as much as anyone, but the kid could not block to save his life--or the QB

Coach said he is not waiting on players to become good. They have to show something now! I like the demeanor of a coach that expects players to play above their ability or he will find someone who will.

No more free rides!
  • bigninerfan56
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by glorydayz:
We kept Briggs & Harris over Sheets, good by SM hello new GM next year!
This is almost comical, we could have the #1 pick again next year with this week talent evaluating that we are administering.

So we're going to have the #1 pick next year because we cut an UDFA running back that had decent success against 3rd stringers? wow.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Rossum and/or Spurlock over Sheets is only thing I don't like.

Rossum = probowl kick returner. we don't have anybody else who can return on the team.

Spurlock = wildcat, wr, and special teams. We need WRs right now b/c of crabs and jones, and he brings added value running the wildcat and on special teams units.

Kory Sheets: why? Gore and Coffee are going to get all the carries, he serves no value on special teams, and he's a liability in pass protection. What's the scenario in which he'd even see the field?

dear ninertalk:

this was a mans post.

Take note.

Put down the nacho chips and mountain dew.
Turn off the xbox/playstation And go outside.

This
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Man, we only have 3 OT on the team.

Pray. Just pray neither of them get hurt and miss time or the season is over - or worse that they BOTH need to be out at the same time.

Again - epic FAIL by the GM in this area.

EPIC.

FAIL.

It's not completely his fault that Marvel Smith decided to retire before the season started, is it?

No, but it's his fault for going after a guy with a bad back and assuming he would be the starter.

Which is fine after the fact, but it's like saying we shouldn't have drafted Gore because he was an injury risk or Rice because he had a slow 40 time. We had a shot at a pro-bowl RT who had injury concerns and we took it. It didn't work out this time, but this happens ALL THE TIME. Also, he wasn't assuming he was going to be the starter. Snyder has been the starter since Marvel even got here.

Gore practiced and competed with Barlow and was effective. Smith hadn't been on the field for a very long time and hadn't been cleared to practice. Rice got on the field. I agree we got a shot at a pro-bowl RT, but like my uncle used to say NEVER GAMBLE WITH YOUR RENT MONEY. We should have brought someone in OTHER than Smith assuming he would "start" - which was the assumption from DAY ONE of his signing. I can get the articles if you like.
  • Crown
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:
How do some of you not work for NFL teams?

my all time favorite post. By a living webzone legend.

Hi Ron. And thank you.

Pray. Just pray neither of them get hurt and miss time or the season is over - or worse that they BOTH need to be out at the same time.

EPIC.

FAIL.

Not really following your logic here. You think Boone should have made the squad, or you want them to sign someone else. My guess is that after Marvel retired unexpectedly they want to pick someone else up after today.

The only thing to worry about (given that Sims can backup both spots) is if both Snyder and Staley got injured in the same game.

What's the fail exactly?

I never expected projects to make the team (Boone, et al). Sorry but when a player says to me that he's coming off of multiple back surgeries and he had never been cleared to play a full practice since May, maybe it's me but I'm still considering my options - realistically - I'm bringing in a lot of OTs because I know Sims is a waste.

What's just unrealistic is expecting Sims to "back-up" at both positions. The reason why we cut Jennings was because he couldn't get on the field. We now keep Sims because he's ineffective against 2nd stringers? The result is the same. No real back-up at OT.

If anything the situation is exacerbated because our true swing man Snyder is now a starter with no effective back-up. Sims in a game is dangerous. And we don't even have to lose both players at the same time - we can lose both for a few plays - which isn't that improbable - we just have Simms.

I have been calling loudly over the past 5 - 6 years for the 49ers to invest real resources into starting-caliber (not projects, not recently injured cast-offs), starting caliber OL - especially at OT.

We are not even better than we were last season at the position and when it's all said and done, personnel decisions and the result thereof is on the GM.

good post. I thought Marvel was a good risk, esp. at the price point we got him, though. You're right in that it leaves us very thin and that Sims isn't getting anybody excited and is a liability save for his versatility.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Rossum and/or Spurlock over Sheets is only thing I don't like.

Rossum = probowl kick returner. we don't have anybody else who can return on the team.

Spurlock = wildcat, wr, and special teams. We need WRs right now b/c of crabs and jones, and he brings added value running the wildcat and on special teams units.

Kory Sheets: why? Gore and Coffee are going to get all the carries, he serves no value on special teams, and he's a liability in pass protection. What's the scenario in which he'd even see the field?

dear ninertalk:

this was a mans post.

Take note.

Put down the nacho chips and mountain dew.
Turn off the xbox/playstation And go outside.

You hurteded my feelings.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Got to love how everyone jumps to conclusions.

The sky is falling the sky is falling...we cut Kory Sheets!

Do we know why ? No. Until we do we should wait and see what the thinking and rationale is.

Good job overreacting as usual 9er talk!

Who cares about the reason why he was cut? He was still CUT.
Anyone know how long before players revert to the PS?

I kind of like Lambert. He has blistering speed and the few times we've seen him go one on one with a receiver down the field, he had a PBU. Even this previous game he was in great position and broke up the ball, but had a PI call. I think he has some potential
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by showtime49:
Anyone know how long before players revert to the PS?

I kind of like Lambert. He has blistering speed and the few times we've seen him go one on one with a receiver down the field, he had a PBU. Even this previous game he was in great position and broke up the ball, but had a PI call. I think he has some potential

I agree. He broke up a pass on an out and I always see him around the ball.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
What if he was cut because he wouldn't get any playing time behind Gore and Coffee? What if he was cut because he was a liability in pass protection and blitz pickup? What if he slapped a puppy?

Of course it matters. That being said, I hope he passes waivers. Give him some time on the PS and he might be a bigtime steal in a season or two.

Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Got to love how everyone jumps to conclusions.

The sky is falling the sky is falling...we cut Kory Sheets!

Do we know why ? No. Until we do we should wait and see what the thinking and rationale is.

Good job overreacting as usual 9er talk!

Who cares about the reason why he was cut? He was still CUT.

[ Edited by showtime49 on Sep 5, 2009 at 15:18:23 ]
Originally posted by bigninerfan56:
This is almost comical, we could have the #1 pick again next year with this week talent evaluating that we are administering.

So we're going to have the #1 pick next year because we cut an UDFA running back that had decent success against 3rd stringers? wow.

Yup, that coupled with the fact that we now have Snyder and Sims at Tackle! We should be drafting really high next year.
Originally posted by bigninerfan56:

Yup, that coupled with the fact that we now have Snyder and Sims at Tackle! We should be drafting really high next year.

Yah its gonna be another loooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg season.
  • dj43
  • Veteran

EPIC.

FAIL.

Not really following your logic here. You think Boone should have made the squad, or you want them to sign someone else. My guess is that after Marvel retired unexpectedly they want to pick someone else up after today.

The only thing to worry about (given that Sims can backup both spots) is if both Snyder and Staley got injured in the same game.

What's the fail exactly?

I never expected projects to make the team (Boone, et al). Sorry but when a player says to me that he's coming off of multiple back surgeries and he had never been cleared to play a full practice since May, maybe it's me but I'm still considering my options - realistically - I'm bringing in a lot of OTs because I know Sims is a waste.

What's just unrealistic is expecting Sims to "back-up" at both positions. The reason why we cut Jennings was because he couldn't get on the field. We now keep Sims because he's ineffective against 2nd stringers? The result is the same. No real back-up at OT.

If anything the situation is exacerbated because our true swing man Snyder is now a starter with no effective back-up. Sims in a game is dangerous. And we don't even have to lose both players at the same time - we can lose both for a few plays - which isn't that improbable - we just have Simms.

I have been calling loudly over the past 5 - 6 years for the 49ers to invest real resources into starting-caliber (not projects, not recently injured cast-offs), starting caliber OL - especially at OT.

We are not even better than we were last season at the position and when it's all said and done, personnel decisions and the result thereof is on the GM.
I'm with you on the OL issue but I am not quite as critical as you. Let me review why I say that:

The problems started when Nolan wanted a bulldozer instead of Justin Smiley. (Smiley went to Miami, became an immediate starter and team leader until his injury.)

Drafted Baas who turned out to be not very bright nor able to pull very well. Still, his college resume was sound.

Drafted Snyder who was bounced around too much and never really learned any one position until this year where he has shown his best play to date at one spot.

Staley was a solid pick. Though he may not be a Pro Bowler, he is an above average LOT, in my opinion.

Rachal shows good improvement. Played better than most rookies at guard.

Those are all high picks that are now starters and still young enough to improve if given a consistent system in which to play.

Marvel Smith was a decent risk and the best FA option in the field. He didn't work out.

Right now, of the two Michaels, I would rather have a signed Oher than an unsigned Crabtree. Oh wait. I thought I was in another thread.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

McCloughan? How in the world are you focusing your blame on him?

Barry Simms made it and Sheets and Ziegler are gone. How do I blame the guy responsible for shaping the roster? This is the same team as last year, why pay to see the same old ****?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home