LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 327 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (week 4)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1 sack for the first unit defense all preseason. And that was when Jamarcus Russel tripped over his own feet. Evidently this front office doesn't know you can actually go after the quarterback in the NFL.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Would it be foolish of me to think that Dyrell Briggs deserves a roster spot over Ulbrich? He has shown great pass rushing ability's which this team is in DIRE need of.

I know that they play different positions but we have McKillop as our back up LB and I think he is capable of playing both ILB spots. Briggs could also take Ulbrichs spot on special teams.

Thoughts?
Originally posted by NickV:
Would it be foolish of me to think that Dyrell Briggs deserves a roster spot over Ulbrich? He has shown great pass rushing ability's which this team is in DIRE need of.

I know that they play different positions but we have McKillop as our back up LB and I think he is capable of playing both ILB spots. Briggs could also take Ulbrichs spot on special teams.

Thoughts?

We will soon find out.

Thoughts?

Briggs makes it because there isn't anybody else at OLB. Ahmad Brooks, did he even play? I think Briggs will make it over Harris.

The only thing about Briggs is that he hasn't been consistent. Today is seemingly the only time in preseason that i can recall that he's made an impact.

McKillop will be future TED, i reckon that's what he'll be there for. I think Ulbrich stays.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 4, 2009 at 22:26:42 ]
McKillop is pretty good.

RJF is pretty good.

They got 40+ minutes of practice today.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
1 sack for the first unit defense all preseason. And that was when Jamarcus Russel tripped over his own feet. Evidently this front office doesn't know you can actually go after the quarterback in the NFL.

The fumble counts as a sack.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Thoughts?

Briggs makes it because there isn't anybody else at OLB. Ahmad Brooks, did he even play? I think Briggs will make it over Harris.

The only thing about Brooks is that he hasn't been consistent. Today is seemingly the only time in preseason that i can recall that he's made an impact.

McKillop will be future TED, i reckon that's what he'll be there for. I think Ulbrich stays.

-9fA

I believe he is injured....

As for the second bold i think you meant Briggs right?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Thoughts?

The only thing about Brooks is that he hasn't been consistent. Today is seemingly the only time in preseason that i can recall that he's made an impact.

-9fA

I believe he is injured....

As for the second bold i think you meant Briggs right?

Yes thanks

-9fA
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
briggs

Mitchell also seem to get a strong push. Sucks we had two turnovers taken away from us. Thanks refs!

2nd String QB (Volek) completes 61% of his passes, and 3rd string QB Whitehurst completes 71 % of his passes. You be the judge!
  • B650
  • Veteran
What defense?
Wasn't it a nice to watch a real 3-4 defense? That of the Chargers

How many times did Davis get the snap and instantly have to sidestep, dodge, scramble, etc. for his life. The Chargers won ever 1-on-1 battle AND played an aggressive style the entire game. They played THEIR game. I guess they think it's more important to perfect their craft rather then "hold their cards." We got pwned.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wasn't it a nice to watch a real 3-4 defense? That of the Chargers

How many times did Davis get the snap and instantly have to sidestep, dodge, scramble, etc. for his life. The Chargers won ever 1-on-1 battle AND played an aggressive style the entire game. They played THEIR game. I guess they think it's more important to perfect their craft rather then "hold their cards." We got pwned.

I agree one hundred percent.
I felt all nervous the whole damn game b/c the chargers were on another level.

I don't ever recall Greg Manusky having any kind of pass rushing schemes that worked since he's been with the 49er's (2007). As a matter of fact, if you have any kind of memory at all, that's the year that the semi-solid 49er's defense seemed to have started regressing.

To wit: the 49er's after posting a 7-9 record in 2006 DROPPED to 5-11 in 2007 when Manusky became the Defensive Coordinator. 2008 Started out badly as well and it's when Mike Singletary took over the helm and salvaged a losing season.

Perhaps it was because of Singletary's motivation that accomplished this. But motivation alone only lasts for so long, you need well executed plays and schemes to continually make things work.

The 49er's don't exactly have a scoring machine, so they need a SOLID defense to keep things in check but that ain't gonna happen without some kind of QB pressure.

HOLD YOUR COLLECTIVE BREATHS ... It could be a long season!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 5, 2009 at 10:18:21 ]
Share 49ersWebzone